Where should I start with Judas Priest?

Sticklah

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to take a shot at this one. I was over exposed to Judas Priest - Post-1982 as a teen, and thought all of it was corny Pop Metal, not much different than all the other Hair bands huge with the kiddies at the time. Most 80's music, other than Thrash, was overproduced and sterilized of any intellectual depth or emotion. But, years later, I became obsessed with the roots of Heavy Metal and noticed quickly that JP had an ample 70's discography.

Priest's 70's albums easily lay waste to their 80's counterparts. What you need is this trilogy of albums - 'Sad Wings of Destiny', 'Sin After Sin' and 'Stained Class'. The band wasn't merely more Metal back in their formative years, but they also displayed several more dimensions in their songwriting. Meaning, that the track listings to these recordings showcase some tunes which aren't typical of a Metal group. After you get those three discs, you can hop on over to 'Painkiller' and 'Angel of Retribution'. I think that those are their five best.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 4 2009, 08:25 PM)
I'd like to take a shot at this one. I was over exposed to Judas Priest - Post-1982 as a teen, and thought all of it was corny Pop Metal, not much different than all the other Hair bands huge with the kiddies at the time. Most 80's music, other than Thrash, was overproduced and sterilized of any intellectual depth or emotion. But, years later, I became obsessed with the roots of Heavy Metal and noticed quickly that JP had an ample 70's discography.

Priest's 70's albums easily lay waste to their 80's counterparts. What you need is this trilogy of albums - 'Sad Wings of Destiny', 'Sin After Sin' and 'Stained Class'. The band wasn't merely more Metal back in their formative years, but they also displayed several more dimensions in their songwriting. Meaning, that the track listings to these recordings showcase some tunes which aren't typical of a Metal group. After you get those three discs, you can hop on over to 'Painkiller' and 'Angel of Retribution'. I think that those are their five best.

I agree with you. Two thumbs up for Stained Class. Painkiller is an excellent album. Seeing Halford perform "A Touch of Evil" live was awesome.

I'd throw in Defenders of the Faith.

Some heads are gonna roll... 1022.gif

sin after sin

stained class

hell bent for leather

unleashed in the east [live]

screaming for veangance

defenders of the faith

painkiller

if you dig these then get the last one, nostradamus

all i m o

1022.gif

p.s.

get the remastered c.d with the extra tracks on it

1022.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Feb 4 2009, 08:19 PM)
Start with this album here: SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE
And end with this album: SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE

This is a typical radio rock fan view of Priest, only heard them on the radio...

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 5 2009, 08:17 AM)
sin after sin
stained class
hell bent for leather
screaming for veangance
defenders of the faith
painkiller
all i m o
1022.gif
p.s.
1022.gif

You forgot Sad Wings of Destiny...

And Hell Bent for Leather is really called Killing Machine...

wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 5 2009, 01:29 PM)
sin after sin
stained class
hell bent for leather
screaming for veangance
defenders of the faith
painkiller
all  i m o
1022.gif
p.s.
1022.gif

wink.gif

it's not called killing machine over here buddy......................... wink.gif

and someone else already said S.W.O.D.

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 5 2009, 01:57 PM)
sin after sin
stained class
hell bent for leather
screaming for veangance
defenders of the faith
painkiller
all  i m o
1022.gif
p.s.
1022.gif

wink.gif

it's not called killing machine over here buddy......................... wink.gif

1022.gif

Well Judas Priest are an English band and they named the album Killing Machine and that's what's it's always been called over here in the UK since 1978, and after all it is their band and their album. The American record company, CBS/columbia? decided Killing Machine was too METAL a name for the American market and they went for the biker/whiplash title instead. So I suppose you're much more of a record company man you rock with the record companies and their decisions eh?

wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 5 2009, 02:03 PM)
sin after sin
stained class
hell bent for leather
screaming for veangance
defenders of the faith
painkiller
all  i m o
1022.gif
p.s.
1022.gif

wink.gif

1022.gif

Well Judas Priest are an English band and they named the album Killing Machine and that's what's it's always been called over here in the UK since 1978, and after all it is their band and their album. The American record company, CBS/columbia? decided Killing Machine was too METAL a name for the American market and they went for the biker/whiplash title instead. So I suppose you're much more of a record company man you rock with the record companies and their decisions eh?

wink.gif

laugh.gif i HATE them . i knew for years it was called killing machine and i always thought it was a better name but someone who is trying to get into PRIEST might not make the connection

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 5 2009, 02:07 PM)
sin after sin
stained class
hell bent for leather
screaming for veangance
defenders of the faith
painkiller
all  i m o
1022.gif
p.s.
1022.gif

wink.gif

1022.gif

wink.gif

laugh.gif i HATE them . i knew for years it was called killing machine and i always thought it was a better name but someone who is trying to get into PRIEST might not make the connection

1022.gif

bekloppt.gif

Aye...

What about Angel of Retribution that's an underrated album, got a lot of flack in 2005 but I've always liked it...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 5 2009, 02:11 PM)
sin after sin
stained class
hell bent for leather
screaming for veangance
defenders of the faith
painkiller
all  i m o
1022.gif
p.s.
1022.gif

wink.gif

1022.gif

wink.gif

1022.gif

bekloppt.gif

Aye...

What about Angel of Retribution that's an underrated album, got a lot of flack in 2005 but I've always liked it...

yeah, i like it also. i just think they tried to make a CLASSIC priest album and it fell a little short. i saw that tour 3 times, great show . are they comin your way at all this year?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 5 2009, 02:14 PM)
sin after sin
stained class
hell bent for leather
screaming for veangance
defenders of the faith
painkiller
all  i m o
1022.gif
p.s.
1022.gif

wink.gif

1022.gif

wink.gif

1022.gif

bekloppt.gif

Aye...

yeah, i like it also. i just think they tried to make a CLASSIC priest album and it fell a little short. i saw that tour 3 times, great show . are they comin your way at all this year?

Yeah, I've not looked up the dates, but they should be hitting Manchester, i wonder if they'll have the full Nostradamus show?

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 5 2009, 02:37 PM)
sin after sin
stained class
hell bent for leather
screaming for veangance
defenders of the faith
painkiller
all  i m o
1022.gif
p.s.
1022.gif

wink.gif

1022.gif

wink.gif

1022.gif

bekloppt.gif

Aye...

Yeah, I've not looked up the dates, but they should be hitting Manchester, i wonder if they'll have the full Nostradamus show?

trink38.gif

that will be cool . they are going to do it here at some point i just don't know when

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 5 2009, 01:13 PM)
sin after sin
stained class
hell bent for leather
screaming for veangance
defenders of the faith
painkiller
all  i m o
1022.gif
p.s.
1022.gif

wink.gif

1022.gif

wink.gif

1022.gif

bekloppt.gif

Aye...

trink38.gif

that will be cool . they are going to do it here at some point i just don't know when

I'd be surprised if they did the full Nostradamus show since the album flopped, but i would definitely go see it.

Sticklah, get "Unleashed In The East". It was the album that turned me into the Priest fanatic I am today.

1022.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Feb 5 2009, 04:55 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 5 2009, 01:13 PM)
sin after sin
stained class
hell bent for leather
screaming for veangance
defenders of the faith
painkiller
all  i m o
1022.gif
p.s.
1022.gif

wink.gif

1022.gif

wink.gif

1022.gif

bekloppt.gif

Aye...

trink38.gif

I'd be surprised if they did the full Nostradamus show since the album flopped, but i would definitely go see it.

Sticklah, get "Unleashed In The East". It was the album that turned me into the Priest fanatic I am today.

1022.gif

one of my fav live albums of all time

1022.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Feb 5 2009, 06:38 PM)
1022.gif unleashed in the east and ram it down....metal bliss! 1022.gif

halfords queer you know!

really ????????

comp26.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 5 2009, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (tel @ Feb 5 2009, 06:38 PM)
1022.gif unleashed in the east and ram it down....metal bliss! 1022.gif

halfords queer you know!

really ????????

comp26.gif

Other than the title track and Blood Red Skies, I cannot recommend Ram It Down to a newbie. no.gif

So I never really got into Priest and only have British Steel, any recommendations where to go from there?

To the garbage can. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Sticklah @ Feb 4 2009, 07:01 PM)
So i never really got into Preist and only have British Steel, any recommendations where to go from there?

yes, defenders of the faith.

Killing Machine/Hell Bent is another winner.

I've done a bunch of backtracking thru the history of Rock/Metal these last two years or so, and I'm strongly of the opinion that the 80's were truly awfully gay. Very little quality from the entire decade when you compare it to the 70's or 90's on either side.

Evidence in support: Watch Priest's 'Evil Eye' video from 1987...and then contrast/compare that with this bad boy: 'Rising in the East', 2005.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 9 2009, 04:38 PM)
Killing Machine/Hell Bent is another winner.

I've done a bunch of backtracking thru the history of Rock/Metal these last two years or so, and I'm strongly of the opinion that the 80's were truly awfully gay. Very little quality from the entire decade when you compare it to the 70's or 90's on either side.

Evidence in support: Watch Priest's 'Evil Eye' video from 1987...and then contrast/compare that with this bad boy: 'Rising in the East', 2005.

Yeah, the 80s overall was pretty much a vast wasteland of silliness.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 9 2009, 04:38 PM)

if you call the first 6 or 7 IRON MAIDEN albums or the first 6 VAN HALEN albums or a few AC/DC or MOTORHEAD albums gay , you need a hearing aid

Archived