Band Aid Vision !

Tick

Do you like watching your movies in a widescreen format ?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like watching your movies in a widescreen format ?

• Yes
    • No

I just don't like watching my movies on a tiny strip on my TV. A strip my wife and I have dubbed "Band Aid Vision." I get my movies from Net Flix, and there always widescreen version. I understand you see the movie the way it is in the theater, but who cares. I like my whole screen filled !

So, who likes widescreen and who doesn't ?

I prefer widescreen.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/octobersky1.jpg http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/octobersky2.jpg

Stuff like that is just too much of a loss for me. Thankfully with HDTVs it's not even much of an issue at all now. Even on a widescreen TV there's still bars if the film's ratio is 2.35:1, but they're much smaller.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jan 28 2009, 10:27 AM)
I prefer widescreen.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/octobersky1.jpg http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/octobersky2.jpg

Stuff like that is just too much of a loss for me. Thankfully with HDTVs it's not even much of an issue at all now. Even on a widescreen TV there's still bars if the film's ratio is 2.35:1, but they're much smaller.

Me, too. Call me a purist or a movie snob.

I much prefer it when I'm watching on my wide screen TV. You still have the black bands on the top and bottom, but it isn't as drastic.

I prefer widescreen.

FYI,

That's a scene from "October Sky" by the way.

I don't know if I prefer it or not.

I have a 20-year old Toshiba TV that still works great. A 25" screen is plenty for me. I'm tired of trying to buy a movie when they want to push widescreen or blue ray on me. I can see my screen fine, thanks.

Band Aid Vision is a good name for it. laugh.gif

Edited by ozzy85

I like widescreen, and I don't even have an hdtv......

I like to see the whole image, and I hate that they have to cut out part of the image to fit for full screen. (as demonstrated above).

But I am watching movies on my computer most of the time...... It really dosen't bother me at all......Ive been doing widescreen for a long time.

I actually don't mind it if its got a good aspect ratio. When its like a band aid on the screen it bothers me greatly.

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jan 28 2009, 01:26 PM)
I have a 20-year old Toshiba TV that still works great. A 25" screen is plenty for me. I'm tired of trying to buy a movie when they want to push widescreen or blue ray on me. I can see my screen fine, thanks.

Band Aid Vision is a good name for it. laugh.gif

I thought I was the only one.

I would rather watch my 14 in. than the giant widescreen, hi-def. My dad now cant stand to watch regular channels because he says the pictures not good enough.

oh and widescreen sucks

I don't have HDTV or a giant screen, and I can't watch Blu-Rays... but I still prefer to watch some movies as they were intended to be seen, ergo in "widescreen" format.

Am I the only one who considers some films to be "art" and the director an "artist"????

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 28 2009, 05:34 PM)
I don't have HDTV or a giant screen, and I can't watch Blu-Rays... but I still prefer to watch some movies as they were intended to be seen, ergo in "widescreen" format.

Am I the only one who considers some films to be "art" and the director an "artist"????

goodpost.gif

Me too. And many movies.. you miss whats going on...

I gotta see it all.

"I have to see it from the very beginning to the very end, call me anal.." - Alvie Singer

Real men watch movies in their original aspect ratios, dammit!

As for the black bars, my TV is adjustable so you can get rid of them. Win-win.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 28 2009, 06:27 PM)
"I have to see it from the very beginning to the very end, call me anal.." - Alvie Singer

"That's a nice word for what you are!" - Annie Hall's retort

I love having the wide screen format so I can see all that is supposed to be there. But at the same time, I really hate having a 3rd of my screen on top and on bottom not being utilized. If there is a way to adjust it, I have no idea how to.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 28 2009, 03:07 PM)
I prefer widescreen.

FYI,

That's a scene from "October Sky" by the way.

I don't know if I prefer it or not.

yes.gif

Good movie

QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 28 2009, 08:44 PM)
I love having the wide screen format so I can see all that is supposed to be there. But at the same time, I really hate having a 3rd of my screen on top and on bottom not being utilized. If there is a way to adjust it, I have no idea how to.

What, yours doesn't have a disgronificating frammistam with crevulation? laugh.gif

Seriously, some TVs have that feature and others don't.

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 28 2009, 08:17 AM)
I just don't like watching my movies on a tiny strip on my TV. A strip my wife and I have dubbed "Band Aid Vision." I get my movies from Net Flix, and there always widescreen version. I understand you see the movie the way it is in the theater, but who cares. I like my whole screen filled !

Get a bigger TV. laugh.gif

I hate missing part of the picture. I remember watching a bootleg copy of The Empire Strikes Back when I was in high school. It was hilarious because there were some subtitles and whoever was filming it had to pan across the screen in order to read the entire subtitle. In some movies if they aren't in widescreen there is a noticeable piece of the picture missing.

I always buy widescreen DVDs. TVs are only going to get bigger and wider so it's good to be prepared.

I don't have a wide-screen, or an HDTV. . .whatever the latest technology is, you can bet money that Mr. Mara and I are at least a couple of developments behind! laugh.gif

Nor do I see upgrading the TV any time soon. We just don't watch enough to justify the cost.

We DO have a flat-TUBE 27" TV. It gives sort of the same impression as the flat screen.

full screen for me. none of our tv's are widescreen and it bugs me having the bars on the top and bottom. its always like i'm missing out on a few inches of movie goodness.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jan 29 2009, 05:04 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jan 28 2009, 08:17 AM)

Get a bigger TV. laugh.gif

I hate missing part of the picture. I remember watching a bootleg copy of The Empire Strikes Back when I was in high school. It was hilarious because there were some subtitles and whoever was filming it had to pan across the screen in order to read the entire subtitle. In some movies if they aren't in widescreen there is a noticeable piece of the picture missing.

I always buy widescreen DVDs. TVs are only going to get bigger and wider so it's good to be prepared.

I have a brand new 42 inch LCD. I don't need a new TV. no.gif

I will say this. Widescreen is fine if its only a couple inches missing on the top, and the bottom. Its the widescreen that only gives you a thin band aid of a screen in the middle, that I don't like. There is a big diffence between the two.