Alice In Chains

EmotionDetector

Are there any fans of this "90's grunge" band?

I was just listening to "Man In The Box", and wow, is that song smoking! Just a solid heavy track. There are some unbelivably great tunes from these guys. Only 3 studio albums to their credit, which is probably why they get lost in the shuffle. But I've been discovering some great tunes here!

I just thought I'd see if there are any AIC fans here! 1022.gif

I like 'em and my wife LOVES 'em!!!!

I saw just about every big band from the '90's back then...I mean I saw 'em all....but never AIC.

They were touring with Metallica in like '94 along with Candlebox, and Fight, and a couple other bands but Lane Staley got all smacked out and they had to drop off the tour right before I was supoosed to see 'em

R.I.P. Lane......I heard he was in his apt. with his cat when he died and it was like 2 weeks before he was discovered....d'ya think the cat ...you know....snacked on him at all?

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 3 2009, 10:44 AM)
Are there any fans of this "90's grunge" band?

I was just listening to "Man In The Box", and wow, is that song smoking! Just a solid heavy track. There are some unbelivably great tunes from these guys. Only 3 studio albums to their credit, which is probably why they get lost in the shuffle. But I've been discovering some great tunes here!

I just thought I'd see if there are any AIC fans here!  1022.gif

Great great band. Most of the Seattle scene was OTT hyperbole. AIC and Nirvana were the 2 exceptions for me. Good call trink38.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jan 3 2009, 12:37 PM)
I loved Dirt but after that...meh. I can only handle so much bleak stoner heroin grunge without feeling like I need to take a bath.

Their earlier material is way better, agreed. But don't overlook Jar of Flies or the Unplugged material for a different spin.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jan 2 2009, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jan 3 2009, 12:37 PM)
I loved Dirt but after that...meh. I can only handle so much bleak stoner heroin grunge without feeling like I need to take a bath.

Their earlier material is way better, agreed. But don't overlook Jar of Flies or the Unplugged material for a different spin.

Yeah, I've had all their stuff but, eh, it just wasn't to be.

Love them... and dislike them in a certain way, due to blatant narcotic use. Dirt was just a very depressing, down album. I don't own it. I remember the aforementioned tour in '04... yeah, Staley was "sick". Not cool. He was a no-show in his home town.

Musically, yes definitely. A perfect mix of grunge and '80's metal riffs. They stared out as an '80's style metal band and it shows with the tight guitar work. Sap and Jar of Flies are excellent acoustic rock albums.

If you're interested, check out Jerry Cantrell's solo albums. You'll understand where some of the AIC sound comes from, vocally as well. I loved Staley's voice, but... come on, the constant drugging was hard to take.

I still like AiC. Facelift has always been my favorite album, followed closely by Sap , which is a great little EP. I love the song, "Got Me Wrong" which I believe Jerry sings. He has a great voice, as did Layne.

Staley also lent vocals for the band Mad Season. Another band to check out. Some of their songs were downers too but the song, "I Don't Know Anything" is fantastic!

They were great guys too. I worked in their management office back around 93-94.

imo DIRT was the best thing they did

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 3 2009, 07:49 PM)
imo DIRT was the best thing they did
1022.gif

my fav also, by far.........Facelift was good too. The only album I didn't like is the Self titled one with the dog on the front. That was boring.......

Archived