hey "older" Rush fans...

liddybuck01

I have been a fan since the mid 70's. I was at Massey Hall for the ATWAS shows. I saw them many times at Maple Leaf Gardens in the late 70's / early 80's. I distinctly remember being at Sam the Recordman the week both Fly By Night and Caress of Steel were released. Good times!

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Dec 23 2008, 11:03 AM)
I have been a fan since the mid 70's. I was at Massey Hall for the ATWAS shows. I saw them many times at Maple Leaf Gardens in the late 70's / early 80's. I distinctly remember being at Sam the Recordman the week both Fly By Night and Caress of Steel were released. Good times!

*insert envy here* trink39.gif

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Dec 14 2008, 07:07 AM)
hope that you appreciate being old!  laugh.gif

Old? I just celebrated my 21st birthday in September. The 21st anniversary of my 21st birthday that is. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I came to Rush in 1980 when I first heard The Spirit of Radio. While I haven't been able to see a concert yet... banghead.gif I will next time through. It's always been fun buying that new Rush recording and opening it the first time. There is always that anticipation right before playing it. I really haven't been disappointed yet. 1022.gif

GO WINGS!!!!

GO LIONS!!!!! woe and 16

QUOTE (Nootch @ Dec 23 2008, 02:41 PM)

Old? I just celebrated my 21st birthday in September. The 21st anniversary of my 21st birthday that is. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I came to Rush in 1980 when I first heard The Spirit of Radio. While I haven't been able to see a concert yet... banghead.gif I will next time through. It's always been fun buying that new Rush recording and opening it the first time. There is always that anticipation right before playing it. I really haven't been disappointed yet. 1022.gif

GO WINGS!!!!

GO LIONS!!!!! woe and 16

You've not seen them live...my sympathy.

QUOTE (MrHands @ Dec 23 2008, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE (Nootch @ Dec 23 2008, 02:41 PM)

GO WINGS!!!!

GO LIONS!!!!! woe and 16

You've not seen them live...my sympathy.

Thanks... It's been my own damn fault! My daughter was going to take me for Fathers Day last June, but I discouraged her because the tickets were expensive and it was on a school night. I've also had to turn down tickets or skip for other reasons in past years. I'll get there yet.

Edited by Nootch

QUOTE (tel @ Dec 14 2008, 03:37 PM) QUOTE (Bernard Black @ Dec 14 2008, 09:15 AM) I got into Rush after the release of 2112, and for a few years it was indeed a great pleasure to grow up with a band getting better with each release. This of course then makes it all the more painful when the creative powers of your favourite band begin to wane and then dry up altogether. The young 'uns will never understand those feelings of hurt on discovering that the high and mighty still have feet of clay.

Luckily I am able to console myself with cheap wine and memories - ah Bingley Hall - and the corpses of the bees in my shop window.

i was at the bingley hall gig ,it was dreadfull the place is a glorified cowshed and the sound blows bigtime,rush flew into britain especially to do this show,they must of been so dissapointed.

ive never missed a rush tour since 75 and am one of the few rush fans to witness fountain of lamneth played in its entirety(arent i great and better than everybody else?) laugh.gif

So do you live in England TEL? if so how did you see RUSH in '75 when they didn't come to the UK 'til 1977?

Hey PM - don't tell me you missed that 75 show- Fullham Greyhound - played all of Fountain.

He's right about Stafford though - still a bloody good show - far better than the 81 ones

yeah, it was pretty awesome

I said the same thing 20 years ago. I started listening to Rush at 14, when Roll the Bones was the most recent album. Counterparts was the first new release during my fandom.

Back then, I was like "man, I wish I hadn't jumped on the bandwagon so late. They've already got 16 albums. They're all gonna be 40 soon... surely they won't be around much longer!"

Little did I know, that their career still had 20+ more years to go. I guess I'm luckier than I originally thought. If I went back and told myself in 1992 that I'd still be seeing them in concert 21 years later and that the boys would be kicking it in their 60s, I'd never have believed it.

Edited by analog guy
  • Like 3

I've been a fan since 1978 or so. My first concert was the Moving Pictures tour in 1981. That was back when they still had general admission seating for the most part. I was about 10 feet from Geddy. I remember being so excited when they brought the double necks out for Xanadu. That was a surreal experience. Always a huge highlight of any Rush concert at the time.
  • Like 2

Oct 1, 1977, this then 15 year old was blown out of his seat by the following set list.

Bastille Day

Lakeside Park

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Xanadu

A Farewell To Kings

Something For Nothing

Cygnus X-1

Anthem

Closer To The Heart

Working Man

Fly By Night

In The Mood

Drum Solo

Encore: Cinderella Man

• Like 4

Being old has some good things. Cool bands around, cheap concert tickets and of course better people, better food and better beer. ;)

and of course better people, better food and better beer. ;)

Hahahaha...I see how you did that, there...nice.

I'm not in the same camp as those who got to see the band during the '70s, or even the early '80s. My older brother who turned me on to Rush when I was a wee little one, he was killed in 1986, so we never got to go to a show together or anything like that. But he had turned me on to all of the early stuff years before, and the first time I got to see them was on the Presto tour. It was a month before my 17th birthday. I just went alone, I didn't even care- and had an unbelievably great experience! You know, even though they didn't play The Necromancer or Cygnus X-1 that night...it didn't matter. ;)

i hope you realize how lucky you are to have grown up with Rush. i would kill to have been around for each new album release as some as you were, and to go to each tour that went with it. i honestly can't imagine what it would've been like opening a brand new Rush album and putting it on for the first time to hear what they came up with this time. paying, what, about $10 to go see them play a show, which we now know were some of their best. i just can't fathom how awesome it must've been.

being only 21(22 in like, 3 days!) and just becoming a fan, sadly, right after S&A was released, i've not experinced that Rush rush yet. i saw them in June but i'm sure it's no comparison to what they were doing 30 years ago.

so i just wanted to say that and hope that you appreciate being old! laugh.gif

i wish i had a Delorian... unsure.gif

You make it sound good to be old. I like you. :codger:

i hope you realize how lucky you are to have grown up with Rush. i would kill to have been around for each new album release as some as you were, and to go to each tour that went with it. i honestly can't imagine what it would've been like opening a brand new Rush album and putting it on for the first time to hear what they came up with this time. paying, what, about $10 to go see them play a show, which we now know were some of their best. i just can't fathom how awesome it must've been.

being only 21(22 in like, 3 days!) and just becoming a fan, sadly, right after S&A was released, i've not experinced that Rush rush yet. i saw them in June but i'm sure it's no comparison to what they were doing 30 years ago.

Very true... I do feel fortunate to have discovered Rush at a young age... I can't imagine what my life would have been like without Rush. Actually, I often find myself regretting how little I realized the importance Rush (and all music) would play through the years so I didn't do enough to commemorate the important milestones over time, especially the earliest shows and album listening experiences..... photos, ticket stubs, t-shirts, concert programs... I wish I had taken time to gather and save all these things from the very first (and ALL) shows. I've been very diligent recently so have all my ticket stubs and lots of photos to remember the great times but the long-ago past is fuzzy at best and I wish I could correct that. Liddybuck, you're in The D-? Come on by Shinola Detroit on W. Canfield to say "Howdy!" Ask for Johnny... Rock ON!!!

Here are my ticket stubs prior to the Clockwork Angels shows in 2013:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%20posters/IMG_3235.jpg

And the up close of the oldest stubs I have... my first shows were in 1979 and 1980:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%20posters/IMG_3237.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%20posters/IMG_3235.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%202010%20Shoreline/057.jpg

• Like 2

Wholey fuque! This thread is over 5 years old? Who dug this one up and how did I get caught up in it? Oh well, old is as old does....

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%202012%20The%20Palace%20Detroit/IMG_2728_zps5a0cb471.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks kid! Now get off my damn lawn!! :codger: