• National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    • The Nightmare Before Christmas
    • The Polar Express
    • The Santa Clause
    • Scrooge aka A Christmas Carol (1951)
    • Scrooged
    • White Christmas
    • Other -- please post

I don't have a clearcut choice, but I do like the nostalgic feel of A Christmas Story.

Other personal faves include (even if only somewhat related to Christmas):

A Midnight Clear, the 2 Die Hards, Bad Santa and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Maybe there're movies you watch around Christmas that aren't directly linked to the holiday?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Christmas Story, but I also love Christmas Vacation and all the Rankin-Bass holiday specials.

Awww wow, that was a tough choice, since I saw ALL my favorite Christmas movies on this list!!

Shame this poll wasn't multiple choice, so I went with Scrooge aka A Christmas Carol, as it was my dad's favorite, plus his b-day was on Christmas Eve, and we'd watch it every year at midnight.

Not actually a Christmas movie, but it comes around this time of year and that is "Meet Me in St. Louis" with Judy Garland. It includes the tune "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" which is where this song first appeared I believe.

"It's a Wonderful Life". All other Christmas movies pale in comparison, especially ones that feature painfully unfunny former SNL "comedians" in the title role.

I also kinda like "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney.

I'm not really into the modern Christmas movies. I would come near watching the classics.

I voted Polar Express, but I love the old classics as well. Polar Express (although animated) had an older feel to it and the story is touching.

I would also like to add that Tim Allen makes the WORST Santa ever.

Charlie Brown Christmas

1) We've all had that tree

2) We all know people like this:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll82/librarianJ/vlcsnap-35596.png

I also have to say - every Christmas in NY we used to watch the YULE LOG on TV...

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 11 2008, 05:54 AM)
A Christmas Story, but I also love Christmas Vacation and all the Rankin-Bass holiday specials.

There was an article in a local newspaper last week about how the home that was used in the filming of Christmas Story is now owned by a super-fan of the movie who turned it into some sort of museum for the movie. A few thousand people take the tour every year. He also sells the 'leg lamp' if anyone's interested.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Dec 11 2008, 11:36 AM)

There was an article in a local newspaper last week about how the home that was used in the filming of Christmas Story is now owned by a super-fan of the movie who turned it into some sort of museum for the movie. A few thousand people take the tour every year. He also sells the 'leg lamp' if anyone's interested.

laugh.gif

I think that was filmed in Toronto, right?

It was off-season. The "snow" is actually laundry detergent.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Dec 11 2008, 07:55 AM)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/Ernest_Saves_Christmas_Poster.jpg

Hey Vern.

Never seen it, or any other Ernest movie (am I missing something?). I decided against including it, as well as such films as Christmas With The Kranks and Denzel Washington's remake of Bishop's Wife, The Preacher's Wife.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Dec 11 2008, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Dec 11 2008, 03:55 AM)
Either How the Grinch Stole Christmas or A Christmas Carol.

Tough choice.

Just to be clear, the Grinch movie I listed is the Mike Myers one. Not the classic TV special with the great Boris Karloff narrating.

You mean the live-action Jim Carey movie, not Mike Myers. Myers was Cat in the Hat.

Never seen the live-action Grinch, but the Karloff-narrated animated movie is great. The guy that wrote the music/lyrics is Albert Hague, the guy that played Shorofsky in Fame.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 11 2008, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (Rushian King @ Dec 11 2008, 11:36 AM)

laugh.gif

I think that was filmed in Toronto, right?

It was off-season. The "snow" is actually laundry detergent.

Some of the scenes were filmed in Toronto, but the home itself is in Cleveland. The guy bought a couple more homes across the street to use as gift shops.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 11 2008, 08:24 AM)
"It's a Wonderful Life". All other Christmas movies pale in comparison, especially ones that feature painfully unfunny former SNL "comedians" in the title role.

I chose A Christmas Story although I think It's a Wonderful Life is a better Movie. I have to see it every year.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 11 2008, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (Rushian King @ Dec 11 2008, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Dec 11 2008, 03:55 AM)
Either How the Grinch Stole Christmas or A Christmas Carol.

Tough choice.

Just to be clear, the Grinch movie I listed is the Mike Myers one. Not the classic TV special with the great Boris Karloff narrating.

You mean the live-action Jim Carey movie, not Mike Myers. Myers was Cat in the Hat.

Never seen the live-action Grinch, but the Karloff-narrated animated movie is great. The guy that wrote the music/lyrics is Albert Hague, the guy that played Shorofsky in Fame.

Carey, Myers. Either way I tried to forget it.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Dec 11 2008, 12:27 PM)
I also loved Santa Claus is Coming To Town, but they don't play it on TV anymore...it's by the same people who do Rudolph.

That's my favorite of the kids Christmas specials! I've owned my own copy for many years, so I watch it several times a year.

"Difficult Responsiblity" and "Put One Foot in Front of the Other" are great tunes!