DAVID LYNCH

ArrowSnake

http://www.eugeneweekly.com/2005/graphics/110305coverstory1.jpg

I did a search and couldn't find a thread about David Lynch, so I started one. I really love his work. He has a totally distinctive style, and you just have to have an opinion on his movies, you either love 'em or hate 'em I think.

What I love about his movies is the surreal, dreamlike atmosphere, and the fact that the story keeps haunting you. When I see a David Lynch movie, when it's finished, I just can't let it go. I keep thinking about it for days, and discover new aspects of the story everytime I re-watch it.

I think he's a fantastic director, everything is special about his films, the characters, the camera-work, the sound, the story, everything! Sometimes I compare his movies with paintings...he's like painting a picture, and the observer tries to find out what the story behind it is...and in the end everyone has his own interpretation of the story.

My favorite movies are Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks (Fire Walk With Me), Wild At Heart and The Straight Story. I'm also a big fan of the Twin Peaks TV series. I've only seen his last film Inland Empire once, and I have to see it a couple of times more to really form an opinion about it I think wacko.gif All I can say about it now is that it was really intense and that the digital approach worked.

So, what do you guys think about his movies?

I also really enjoy David Lynch's work. Twin Peaks was a great show and Blue Velvet is probably my favorite of his movies. Though I also really liked Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr, The Elephant Man and Wild at Heart (so glad to see someone else likes that movie, ArrowSnake).

I havnt seen Eraserhead yet though and I really want to. I can just never talk my husband into it haha.

I like David Lynch up to a point, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway and so on, but he seems to almost outsmart himself to some extent, especially with Twin Peaks where by the end of season 2 the whole cast had been a suspect at one time or another, till finally no one cared who killed Laura Palmer anymore...

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Dec 4 2008, 10:03 PM)
I also really enjoy David Lynch's work. Twin Peaks was a great show and Blue Velvet is probably my favorite of his movies. Though I also really liked Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr, The Elephant Man and Wild at Heart (so glad to see someone else likes that movie, ArrowSnake).
I havnt seen Eraserhead yet though and I really want to. I can just never talk my husband into it haha.

Wild At Heart definitely is one of my favorites. "This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom" 1022.gif

Eraserhead is one of the most disturbing movies of all time! It's a very strange and unsettling piece of work. Watching it is a crazy experience, I warn you! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Dec 4 2008, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Dec 4 2008, 10:03 PM)
I also really enjoy David Lynch's work. Twin Peaks was a great show and Blue Velvet is probably my favorite of his movies.  Though I also really liked Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr, The Elephant Man and Wild at Heart (so glad to see someone else likes that movie, ArrowSnake).

Wild At Heart definitely is one of my favorites. "This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom" 1022.gif

Eraserhead is one of the most disturbing movies of all time! It's a very strange and unsettling piece of work. Watching it is a crazy experience, I warn you! biggrin.gif

Haha thats so classic. Nicholas Cages best role. biggrin.gif It almost felt like a John Waters movie in a weird way.

And yes, I've heard Eraserhead is quite a trip, thats why my husband is reluctant to rent it/watch it with me. He saw it once and hes not sure hes ready to see it again- which only makes me more curious of course haha.

You folks should ask 1-0 if you can see his old avatar sometime.

Wild at Heart is crap! 062802puke_prv.gif

David Lynch is overrated! He has directed some very good movies, but I really don't like directors being weird for weird's sake.

Blue Velvet has not aged well in my opinion. It's okay.

"Heineken? f**k that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!" still makes me laugh, though.

The Elephant Man and The Straight Story are both fantastic movies.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 4 2008, 04:47 PM)
Wild at Heart is crap! 062802puke_prv.gif

Its not crap, its just not for everyone. Its got a lot of camp value and not everyone appreciates that.

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Dec 4 2008, 07:46 PM)
Wild at Heart is crap!  062802puke_prv.gif

Its not crap, its just not for everyone. Its got a lot of camp value and not everyone appreciates that.

I don't want this thread to turn negative, I just can't stand Wild at Heart. I find it unwatchable. With that said, I like some of David Lynch's films. Like you said, he's not for everyone, me included.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 4 2008, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Dec 4 2008, 07:46 PM)
Wild at Heart is crap!  062802puke_prv.gif

I don't want this thread to turn negative, I just can't stand Wild at Heart. I find it unwatchable. With that said, I like some of David Lynch's films. Like you said, he's not for everyone, me included.

trink39.gif

Sorry, I didnt mean to come off abrasive. I will just agree to disagree haha. trink39.gif

There are parts of Lynch's movies I love and parts that are so convoluted that I just find them boring.

9-- The Elephant Man (1980)

9-- Mulholland Dr. (2001)

8-- The Straight Story (1999)

8-- Lost Highway (1997)

7-- Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992)

7-- Eraserhead (1977)

6-- Blue Velvet (1986)

6-- Wild at Heart (1990)

6-- Dune (1984)

5-- Inland Empire (2006)

Edited by Rushian King

When I think of Blue Velvet, I have this sense that somehow David Lynch and Dennis Hopper got on the same wavelength regarding how Frank Booth should be personified, making the character probably one of the most deliciously evil characters on film ever.

"Daddy wants to f***!"

Lynch's 'Dune' was crap on a crap cracker. The SciFi Channel's remake was a thousand times better.

I also like the dreamy atmosphere in his movies.

The last one I watched was Inland Empire, an great mysterious movie in my opinion. It's very surrealistic, to the point of you loose order in the facts. The movie discuss about being in reality or out of it.

My girlfriend is a huge Lynch fan, and she's gotten me into his films as well. Have yet to see Blue Velvet, but favorite I've seen so far is probably Eraserhead, with Inland Empire right after it.

But nothing can beat Twin Peaks. Haven't seen any of the second season yet, but I'm looking at possible christmas gifts and one of them is the DVD collection of the entire series.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 4 2008, 06:47 PM)
"Heineken? f**k that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!" still makes me laugh, though.

I still throw that line around when the opportunity presents itself. Usually there's at least one person present who gets it.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Dec 5 2008, 11:55 AM)
When I think of Blue Velvet, I have this sense that somehow David Lynch and Dennis Hopper got on the same wavelength regarding how Frank Booth should be personified, making the character probably one of the most deliciously evil characters on film ever.

"Daddy wants to f***!"

Yeah, Dennis Hopper was great as Frank Booth. Dennis Hopper actualy contacted David Lynch after reading the script and asked Lynch if he could play the part of Frank Booth, because he felt that he was Frank Booth! Hopper added a lot of personal touches to the character of Frank Booth. Blue Velvet is a geat movie.

http://www.serialconsign.com/images/2007/05/ether-hopper.jpg

Edited by ArrowSnake

(I'm probably talking to myself here but...)

I bought "Eraserhead" on DVD today. It's a remastered edition, and one of the extra's is a 85 mins long interview with David Lynch on the making of Eraserhead. The interview is very interesting and funny at times... It's fascinating to hear Lynch talk about this film and how it was working on it...

The strange thing about Eraserhead for me, is that I watch this movie about once a year, and everytime I see it it's like a hole new experience... I remember the very first time I saw it, I felt kinda sick afterwards. I didn't know what to think, but I felt the urge to see it again wacko.gif I was watching it again today after work on the computer with my headphones on, and I got totally sucked into the movie. You just can't compare it with any other film, it's totally unique IMO. "A dream of dark and troubling things" it says on the back of the DVD, and that's exactly what it is. I truly believe, that nobody except Lynch himself knows what this film is really about.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l62/Vajra_23/msp_eraserhead.jpg