Fender Geddy Lee Jazz

rushbass

I had no idea... that the price of the Fender GL Jazz bass has gone up to $999.99 at Musician's Friend / Guitar Center! ohmy.gif Unreal! I guess I won't ever get one now... besides, I already have a 62 Jazz...

I remember when the GL model came out, it was only $629.00, and at that time it was also a Limited Edition model!

Ridiculous!

A side note, I had a vintage 1972 Jazz Bass with a maple neck and black block inlays in my hands back in 1990... the music store wanted only $600.00 for it back then... ohmy.gif 70's era basses were not desireable and did not command a high price back then... still kicking myself for not buying that one either!

Here is the asking price for one today... 1972 Fender Jazz Geddy Lee

Edited by rushbass

Actually, that $999 price doesn't seem so unreasonable if you consider that it's ten years since the GL Jazz was introduced and it's a product manufactured in Japan. On currency fluctuations alone, the amount of Yen that $629 dollars bought in 1998 now equates to over $900 dollars. If you consider all the increases in raw material, energy and shipping costs over 10 years, it's not so bad. If it has jumped $370 in one go however, that seems like quite a hike.

You should have bought that 72 for $600 I suppose, although whether it would have been like Geddy's is another matter. Geddy seems to think that there might be something up with the wiring in his that contributes to why he likes it so much.

EDIT: I've just remembered that the new ones are supposed to have a satin neck (like the new replacement neck on Geddy's bass) and improved tuners, which may have also contributed to the price increase.

Still worth saving for - it's a lot of Jazz for the money...

Edited by Jon

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Nov 29 2008, 02:31 PM)
Got mine for $849, which is a helluva deal if you ask me. Only jazz bass worth playing imo.

What makes his "signature" so much better than the others?

1 BadAss bridge

2 only jazz bass out from fender with black blocks on maple neck

3 style pickups (vintage customs) alone ($199)

4 BadAss bridge ($90)

5 It's "Geddy's"

6 It's got a copy of his signature doh.gif

'Tis truly a thing of wonder, the Geddy signature Jazz.

I used to work for a large music shop when the GedBass was launched, and (naturally!) as soon as one came in the shop, I had to give it a good thrashing! Very impressed would be an understatement.

There's just something about it that's special compared to pretty much any other Jazz, even to the point that a bass playing friend of mine who hates Rush with a passion played one a few years ago with the signature covered up with a sticker. tongue.gif

I think the BadAss bridge has a lot to do with it, as the bassist in my band fitted one to his Jazz and it improved the feel and tone immensely. Now, if only he could get a GeddyFingers implant... rofl3.gif

Edited by Thorne

I do really like the GL Jazz, and was debating getting one for myself as a Christmas present, but I had no idea the price had gone up so much...

That, and the fact that I already have a '62 Fender Jazz, makes it a tough sale...

Maybe I can find a used one cheap...

QUOTE (BL2112 @ Dec 6 2008, 05:32 PM)
1 BadAss bridge
4 BadAss bridge ($90)
5 It's "Geddy's"

There are other J's with the black block inlay available.

QUOTE (BL2112 @ Dec 6 2008, 07:32 PM)
1 BadAss bridge
4 BadAss bridge ($90)
5 It's "Geddy's"

So, out of all that...........the only REAL difference is the pickups?

Fender makes a vintage series '75 Jazz that has the block inlays, but it's $$$. The Geddy bass is a comparitive steal. I thought about getting one, but I'm happy with my Mexi-Jazz. I like my rosewood fretboard. I would like to add a Badass bridge, though. I've heard there is a neck shape difference used in the '70's only, though I can't vouch for that.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 29 2008, 07:21 PM)
QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Nov 29 2008, 02:31 PM)
Got mine for $849, which is a helluva deal if you ask me. Only jazz bass worth playing imo.

What makes his "signature" so much better than the others?

Feel and playability.

Other Jazz basses feel "gritty" if you know what I mean. The Geddy Jazz is smooth and sleek. not to mention that leo quan bridge is as badass as they say it is.

Tone as well, it growls more than most jazz basses I've played; it growls so much, it sounds like a panther on a motorcycle.

I'd play it even if it wasn't his signature.

Edited by syrinxpriest 2112

QUOTE (rushbass @ Nov 27 2008, 01:32 PM)
I had no idea... that the price of the Fender GL Jazz bass has gone up to $999.99 at Musician's Friend / Guitar Center! ohmy.gif Unreal! I guess I won't ever get one now... besides, I already have a 62 Jazz...

I remember when the GL model came out, it was only $629.00, and at that time it was also a Limited Edition model!

Ridiculous!

A side note, I had a vintage 1972 Jazz Bass with a maple neck and black block inlays in my hands back in 1990... the music store wanted only $600.00 for it back then... ohmy.gif 70's era basses were not desireable and did not command a high price back then... still kicking myself for not buying that one either!

That's a big jump. I used to sell those @ GC. Weird. I wonder why too. Inflation? Supply/demand? Curious to hear reason.....

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Dec 8 2008, 09:55 AM)
but guitar's my main instrument now so I just can't justify that expense sad.gif

Guitars are some of the most over-priced objects I have ever seen IMO.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Dec 14 2008, 04:30 PM)
I had no idea... that the price of the Fender GL Jazz bass has gone up to $999.99 at Musician's Friend / Guitar Center!  ohmy.gif  Unreal!  I guess I won't ever get one now... besides, I already have a 62 Jazz...

Ridiculous!

A side note, I had a vintage 1972 Jazz Bass with a maple neck and black block inlays in my hands back in 1990... the music store wanted only $600.00 for it back then... ohmy.gif  70's era basses were not desireable and did not command a high price back then... still kicking myself for not buying that one either!

That's a big jump. I used to sell those @ GC. Weird. I wonder why too. Inflation? Supply/demand? Curious to hear reason.....

Now I'm the one selling them at GC tongue.gif. Prices jumped up all over the board recently. Gibson, Fender, Zildjian, Sabian, Pearl, Tama, you name it. Cymbal and drum hardware prices went up because the cost of the metals to manufacture them all went up. I haven't been given an explanation as to why guitar prices have gone up though recently, so I'm going to assume it's just inflation at this point.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Dec 16 2008, 01:22 AM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Dec 14 2008, 04:30 PM)
I had no idea... that the price of the Fender GL Jazz bass has gone up to $999.99 at Musician's Friend / Guitar Center!  ohmy.gif  Unreal!  I guess I won't ever get one now... besides, I already have a 62 Jazz...

Ridiculous!

A side note, I had a vintage 1972 Jazz Bass with a maple neck and black block inlays in my hands back in 1990... the music store wanted only $600.00 for it back then... ohmy.gif  70's era basses were not desireable and did not command a high price back then... still kicking myself for not buying that one either!

Now I'm the one selling them at GC tongue.gif. Prices jumped up all over the board recently. Gibson, Fender, Zildjian, Sabian, Pearl, Tama, you name it. Cymbal and drum hardware prices went up because the cost of the metals to manufacture them all went up. I haven't been given an explanation as to why guitar prices have gone up though recently, so I'm going to assume it's just inflation at this point.

I'm going to go with the price of oil. Whenever oil/gas prices rise, the cost of travel rises & companies adjust their overhead to compensate.

I got mine used on ebay in mint condition for $500 a year ago. Look used and save yourself some cash, they are everywhere.

And, other than what is already been mentioned (the BA bridge, maple neck with painted on blocks...mine was anyway) the neck is thin and extremely comfortable. I just traded mine (plus cash) for a Ric 4003 but it was the most comfortable bass I have ever played. Oh and it did growl like a beast as evidenced in my link below.