Halloween movie time!

Jack Aubrey

I always love to re-watch a few favorite scary movies around this time of year. I'm not busy tomorrow night so I think I'll pop in John Carpenter's "The Thing". Do any of you like to do the same thing?

Funny you should bring this up now. I just got a used VHS copy of "Dark Night of the Scarecrow" the other day and plan on watching it a few times for the sake of the Halloween season.

I might also watch "the Fog"(1980)

There are two or three cable stations which go crazy with the horror movies in October, so I'll probably catch a few that way.

I think we'll be hunkering down with the entire Hellraiser series next week - the good the bad and the ugly.

Too bad Hollywood has been nothing but schlock the past few years. I don't mind the entertainment value of the SAW series and some of the Zombie films but shiite like M. Night Shannanigan movies? Man I wish that dude would gay marry Tarantino and go retire in the Phillipines never to be seen again.

Some foreign recommendations however I've seen over the past months and are *very* good scary flicks include "The Descent" and "High Tension". For an amusing US film I'd recommend the Green Light Project film "Feast" if anyone hasn't seen that yet.

http://wildaboutmovies.com/images_2/TheDescentMoviePoster.jpg

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/images/High-Tension-movie-poster-small.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/Gorefan_2006/poster_FEAST_1sht_July26_pdf2.jpg

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Oct 16 2008, 05:31 PM)
I loved Feast too, but have you seen the sequel?
WOW.
Shitastic.

I haven't seen the sequel - didn't even know there *was* one!

How could you ever followup to a film so majestic though that scenes included a demon humping a corpses head?

LOL

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Oct 16 2008, 10:45 AM)
I think I'm gonna break out Suspiria soon. It's been a while since I've seen it and it's one of my favorites.

I need to see that one, I've heard nothing but praise for it.

I know we will be watching Young Frankenstein

As well as The Shining

Poltergeist and The Exorcist are also possible.

And I may go for another viewing of Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes

Yes, I know. I am weird. laugh.gif

I always watch the original 1978 Halloween. It's the best horror movie ever made, to me. The mood and cineamatography are second to none, and best of all it doesn't have to be a total gorefest to get its point across. And Donald Pleasance kick ass in this one!

"DEATH HAS COME TO YOUR LITTLE TOWN, SHERIFF!"

and

"I spent the first 8 years trying to reach him and the next 7 trying to make sure he never got out."

Edited by Del_Duio

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Oct 16 2008, 11:29 AM)
Bad Taste is great, but it's all about Dead Alive - Jackson's masterpiece!

Hahaha, my friend popped in an old VHS of that movie back in '94 or so and I had never heard of it. Let's just say after I was totally desensitized by all the disgusting-ness of the thing I thought it was a totally hillarious movie.

My favorite lines are:

"I kick ass for the Lord!" - the preacher

and

"Hyperactive." - the hero after he beats the baby zombie against the swingset and monkeybars, to the horror of the onlookers.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Oct 18 2008, 09:39 AM)
i do enjoy bad horror films tho. anyone ever seen the ammityville with the lamp? terrible. there's another bad one i saw on fearnet called slaughter high. i wish i could find it on dvd.

Yeah, I saw that one, liddybuck. It was a made-for-TV movie. The wife from Father Knows Best plays in it as a grandmother. I remember it had to do with a little girl getting possessed and supposedly talking to her father via the lamp.

I don't even think it took place in the Amityville house. Belongings from the house were sold at auction and the family in the film had purchased the lamp.

John Carpenter's Halloween is undoubtedly one of the best horror films of all time. The musical score is brilliant.

http://romaniansurvivalbook.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/bela-lugosi.jpg

Bela Lugosi is the man ! 1022.gif

I started my Halloween moviethon with... Ed Wood. Yeah, not quite a horror but it has its moment.

I think I'll be going more with old Hammer movies, you know, Peter Cushing and stuff, or maybe Roger Corman's Poe movies with Vincent Price. I find I still like these kinds of movies better than "modern" horror.

Although John Carpenter might creep in...