New 'Star Trek' pics *UPDATED* Plot details!

Jack Aubrey

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/excltrekpic-big.jpg

Eric Bana as the bad guy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/bigspock.jpg

Sylar Zachary Quinto as Spock.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/star-trek-20081015025340385_640w.jpg

Chris Pine as Kirk.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/usskelvin1.jpg

I hope no one was in there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/star_trek_400x765.jpg

The Bridge.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/new-trekkie-photo.jpg

The crew.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Oct 16 2008, 09:02 AM)
For some reason I dont have much faith in this movie that it will be as good as the other ones. It seems like a cheap way to recruit a younger generation of trekkies. confused13.gif

It has the biggest budget ever for a Star Trek film. The buzz is that it delivers. Apparently, J.J. Abrams has been very respectful of the established "Star Trek Universe" and from the looks of things he's got it right. The casting "looks" perfect. We'll just have to wait and see if they pulled if off. I, for one, am looking forward to it. Batman was successfully rebooted. James Bond was successfully rebooted. Why not Star Trek? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Oct 16 2008, 10:02 PM)
For some reason I dont have much faith in this movie that it will be as good as the other ones. It seems like a cheap way to recruit a younger generation of trekkies.  confused13.gif

As good as the other ones?...You mean those pieces of crap like ST Insurrection, part 5 (the Shakari garbage), part 7 (the stupid way that Kirk went to his grave), and some of the others? tongue.gif

No, it's not a 'cheap' way. It's the smart way. EVERY Trek fan (even the moderate ones) will watch any flick having to do with the original crew. But the moderate fan might not watch any of the other ST characters (Picard, Janeway, etc.) in a full-length movie. And as far as attracting younger/more viewers...of course they're trying to. It's a franchise. You also might be forgetting that those viewers my age or a bit older (who watched the show when they were young) would probably have kids that they'd take to see it. Besides, many of the actors who played the original crew are dead or way too fat/old so them coming back would be a bit ridiculous. Sometimes going back is indeed, going forward.

P.S. It's not like I'm going to be in ST gear or dressed as a Klingon at the cinema on opening night BUT I will definitely catch this one smile.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 16 2008, 09:58 AM)
For some reason I dont have much faith in this movie that it will be as good as the other ones. It seems like a cheap way to recruit a younger generation of trekkies.  confused13.gif

As good as the other ones?...You mean those pieces of crap like ST Insurrection, part 5 (the Shakari garbage), part 7 (the stupid way that Kirk went to his grave), and some of the others? tongue.gif

No, it's not a 'cheap' way. It's the smart way. EVERY Trek fan (even the moderate ones) will watch any flick having to do with the original crew. But the moderate fan might not watch any of the other ST characters (Picard, Janeway, etc.) in a full-length movie. And as far as attracting younger/more viewers...of course they're trying to. It's a franchise. You also might be forgetting that those viewers my age or a bit older (who watched the show when they were young) would probably have kids that they'd take to see it. Besides, many of the actors who played the original crew are dead or way too fat/old so them coming back would be a bit ridiculous. Sometimes going back is indeed, going forward.

P.S. It's not like I'm going to be in ST gear or dressed as a Klingon at the cinema on opening night BUT I will definitely catch this one smile.gif

While I hate 'Star Trek', I will admit that the fact that JJ Abrams, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, Eric bana, and Zachary Quinto are involved in this has piqued my curiousity.

'Star Trek', at it's heart, is a cool concept: exploring the unknown. Unfortunately, the various series have suffered under both bad writing and dogmatic political undertones. Good science fiction doesn't have a political agenda it seeks to force on you*, good science fiction explores what it means to be human, see 'Blade Runner' for the ultimate example of this concept.

I am thinking I might go see this.

*That's as political as things will get in here. We can acknowledge politics as long as it doesn't turn into an "us versus them" thing, please. In other words, let's keep our agendas to ourselves.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 16 2008, 11:07 PM)

While I hate 'Star Trek', I will admit that the fact that JJ Abrams, Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, Eric bana, and Zachary Quinto are involved in this has piqued my curiousity.

'Star Trek', at it's heart, is a cool concept: exploring the unknown. Unfortunately, the various series have suffered under both bad writing and dogmatic political undertones. Good science fiction doesn't have a political agenda it seeks to force on you*, good science fiction explores what it means to be human, see 'Blade Runner' for the ultimate example of this concept.

*That's as political as things will get in here. We can acknowledge politics as long as it doesn't turn into an "us versus them" thing, please. In other words, let's keep our agendas to ourselves.

The fact that you made this thread even though you hate Star Trek WITHOUT saying anything hateful says a lot about you. trink39.gif

Quinto sounds good, Bana is cool, the new Uhuru is hot 1022.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 16 2008, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 16 2008, 11:07 PM)

The fact that you made this thread even though you hate Star Trek WITHOUT saying anything hateful says a lot about you. trink39.gif

Quinto sounds good, Bana is cool, the new Uhuru is hot 1022.gif

Yeah, she's gorgeous.

The fact that you made this thread even though you hate Star Trek WITHOUT saying anything hateful says a lot about you.

Aw, thanks man! I acknowledge that 'Star Trek' has a huge and very loyal following, so I don't want to incur their wrath (of Khan)! laugh.gif Also, I really do try to be a gracious host.

I'm thrilled with this reboot. I think it will be amazing.

I think that Enterprise was awesome because it showed all the beginnings of the Federation. So this, showing the beginnings of our favorite crew... should be awesome.

Star Trek was political??? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 16 2008, 11:07 AM)
I'm thrilled with this reboot. I think it will be amazing.

I think that Enterprise was awesome because it showed all the beginnings of the Federation. So this, showing the beginnings of our favorite crew... should be awesome.

Star Trek was political??? confused13.gif

It's more idealistic than political. yes.gif

There's some new pics out, too. I'll post them later on today.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 17 2008, 02:04 PM)
My main concern about the plot of this movie is that Spock will remove the top of Kirk's skull and steal his powers.

yes.gif laugh.gif trink39.gif

I am dying for anything Trek, and this movie is going to kick ass, I hope it gets Trek flowing again! I just started getting into Enterprise after years of avoiding it, and it turns out to be great. I love seeing the early days! If this movie breathes new life into the franchise I'll be happy.

I love what he says about optimism. We need that these days!

I'll watch it but having them all serve together looking tha tyoung has issues. It is already established that Pike was Captain before Kirk and only Spock was there. In the military the unit lasts forever but the members are constantly on the move. Everyone doesn;t stay in spot forever. It's like everyone in your high school class getting jobs at the same company and living in the same neighborhood and retiring to the same place and getting buried in the same graveyard. Change happens.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 17 2008, 11:17 PM)
I'll watch it but having them all serve together looking tha tyoung has issues. It is already established that Pike was Captain before Kirk and only Spock was there. In the military the unit lasts forever but the members are constantly on the move. Everyone doesn;t stay in spot forever. It's like everyone in your high school class getting jobs at the same company and living in the same neighborhood and retiring to the same place and getting buried in the same graveyard. Change happens.

Pike is in the movie. The movie is about how the crew came together. From what I read, they covered all those bases you seem to be worried about.

Here are the new pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/Star-Trek-John-Cho_l.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/Star-Trek_l.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/uss-kelvin-ncc-0514_l.jpg

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 16 2008, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Oct 16 2008, 09:02 AM)

It has the biggest budget ever for a Star Trek film. The buzz is that it delivers. Apparently, J.J. Abrams has been very respectful of the established "Star Trek Universe" and from the looks of things he's got it right. The casting "looks" perfect. We'll just have to wait and see if they pulled if off. I, for one, am looking forward to it. Batman was successfully rebooted. James Bond was successfully rebooted. Why not Star Trek? confused13.gif

I've been a big ST fan forever and I'm really looking forward to this movie. There used to be a long stretch of time from the late 80's for about 10 years when you always had a quality Trek to watch (they'd play TOS during this time too, I didn't forget about it). Then it just sort of crapped out for most of Voyager and I never got into Enterprise. Insurrection was a decent movie but Nemesis had too many problems for me to really like it.

Trek needs a shot in the arm, and the ass. Hopefully this is the thing that'll do it, but if it does I fear the follow-up TV series would be another prequel to fit the theme of the movie. And after Enterprise we really don't need another prequel series IMO. How about finding out what happened to Sisko? They could have his disappearance at the end of DS9 lead to some sort of huge event that could spawn another series.

Sorry, looks like it's ramblin' time. common001.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 18 2008, 01:55 PM)
I'll watch it but having them all serve together looking tha tyoung has issues.  It is already established that Pike was Captain before Kirk and only Spock was there.  In the military the unit lasts forever but the members are constantly on the move.  Everyone doesn;t stay in spot forever.  It's like everyone in your high school class getting jobs at the same company and living in the same neighborhood and retiring to the same place and getting buried in the same graveyard.  Change happens.

Pike is in the movie. The movie is about how the crew came together. From what I read, they covered all those bases you seem to be worried about.

If Pike is in it then I guess that means the Buttheads (those aliens with the large brains whose cranial veins pulsate when they're using telepathy + the backs of their heads look like ass...you know what I'm sayin' wink.gif ) are in it. I thought I read somewhere that there is a little tinkering with ST history though, no?

If Kirk & the gang are this young then wouldn't that make Chekhov at least a junior high school student if not younger?

Kirk never met the buttheads did he? I thought Pike only met them, and you saw them in TOS in that court martial episode in flashbacks. I wonder if they'll still have one flash for yes and two flashes for no?

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Oct 18 2008, 11:41 PM)
Kirk never met the buttheads did he? I thought Pike only met them, and you saw them in TOS in that court martial episode in flashbacks. I wonder if they'll still have one flash for yes and two flashes for no?

yeah only pike met the buttheads. i was saying (if it wasn't clear) that maybe there'll be a scene where pike is with the buttheads or going to the planet where the buttheads are. i don't know. just trek speculation

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 18 2008, 12:55 AM)
I'll watch it but having them all serve together looking tha tyoung has issues.  It is already established that Pike was Captain before Kirk and only Spock was there.  In the military the unit lasts forever but the members are constantly on the move.  Everyone doesn;t stay in spot forever.  It's like everyone in your high school class getting jobs at the same company and living in the same neighborhood and retiring to the same place and getting buried in the same graveyard.  Change happens.

Hopefully. Again, my concern is the apparent ages of this cast versus the ages of the original. Cho looks ten years younger than Sulu (I'm assuming he is Sulu). If that's te case it will be, at least, distracting. All in all, I am excited about watching it.