Asian Horror Movies...

Lamneth08

Takashi Miike and Park Chan-wook are two of my favorite directors. Miike is especially twisted, I love him. Have you seen Miike's film Izo? It's not really horror, but it's a total mindfuck of a movie and my favorite from him.

I'm not too fond of the more traditional ghost story movies though. You've seen one freaky little Asian ghost kid, you've seen them all. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 9 2008, 02:44 PM)
Takashi Miike and Park Chan-wook are two of my favorite directors. Miike is especially twisted, I love him. Have you seen Miike's film Izo? It's not really horror, but it's a total mindfuck of a movie and my favorite from him.

I'm not too fond of the more traditional ghost story movies though. You've seen one freaky little Asian ghost kid, you've seen them all. laugh.gif

I've read about Izo. On my list. and yes....the creepy ghost kids can get old.

I love the psychological aspect of the Asian stories. Just so different than most.

What's the one where the girl takes a guy home, then binds him and tortures him? I remember reading about a particular gory part involving a needle, an eyeball, and a distinct "popping" noise. . .

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 9 2008, 05:47 PM)
Audition.

That movie goes from seemingly normal to OMFGWTF?!! in about a split-second. laugh.gif

Man in bag....drink like cat...creepy

How the hell they came up with that scene is beyond me

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 9 2008, 06:47 PM)
Audition.

That movie goes from seemingly normal to OMFGWTF?!! in about a split-second. laugh.gif

Now there's a movie I'd like to see...I had seen clips of it on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments special (that they show every year around Halloween), and I was floored by that needle scene...

One of the best movies I've seen recently, is a South Korean monster pic called "The Host".

Wonderfully acted and excellent special effects for a low budget. Pathos in all the right places too.

Well worth watching the UK release trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJnq9sm4Zxk

Edited by JayGeeEmme

QUOTE (JayGeeEmme @ Sep 10 2008, 09:18 AM)
One of the best movies I've seen recently, is a South Korean monster pic called "The Host".

Wonderfully acted and excellent special effects for a low budget. Pathos in all the right places too.

Looks quite interesting....

I am usually not big on the monster movie type stuff, but this looks like it could be something i'd enjoy

QUOTE (JayGeeEmme @ Sep 10 2008, 10:18 AM)

If you like that movie, that's fine, I'm not trying to tell you that you shouldn't, but I hated 'The Host'! I thought it was stupid over-acted inane worthless crap.

I'm not big into horror movies at all and the only foreign language movies I watch tend to be French, as I speak a schoolboy version.

I was just pleasantly surprised that when I stumbled upon it one night, it held my interest.

I particulary liked the actors who played the Father and Grandfather.

QUOTE (Lamneth08 @ Sep 9 2008, 03:28 PM)
Any fans of these?..

I own ...

Ichi the Killer
Oldboy
Bloody Reunion
Ju-On  ( was remade as " The Grudge" over here)..
Audition
Versus

Some unique story lines and plot twists

I like all of those except Bloody Reunion and Versus, neither of which I've seen. Other than Ju-On I don't really consider the others to be horror. I actually didn't mind the The Grudge remake. The Ring remake is the only one I've seen that I'd consider better than it's original. (that doesn't mean I think the originals are great)

Have you seen Miike's entry in the Masters Of Horror TV series? It's called Imprint, a little dry but still has all sorts of good things like abortions and torture. As your third Miike film I'd go with Visitor Q. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290329/ What does the MPAA say about it? "Rated R for strong aberrant sexual and violent content, language and drug use." What better recommendation do you want than that?

QUOTE (Lamneth08 @ Sep 10 2008, 08:28 AM)
Any fans of these?..

I own ...

Ichi the Killer
Oldboy
Bloody Reunion
Ju-On  ( was remade as " The Grudge" over here)..
Audition
Versus

Some unique story lines and plot twists

Haven't had the opportunity to see that many. Loved Ichi though and own it. If there are any recommendations close to this style, post away please cat.gif

Over here in Japan nearly everyone I know believes in ghosts/spirits. And tons claim to have seen something. It truly is a part of the culture. Given that (since they'd think deeply on the subject), it's no surprise that they'd make some mindfucking horror flicks.

Also, low budget is the way to make a scary movie. Hollywood has great special effects and all but then it seems it's more eye candy than horrifying

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 23 2008, 12:25 AM)
Over here in Japan nearly everyone I know believes in ghosts/spirits.  And tons claim to have seen something.  It truly is a part of the culture.  Given that (since they'd think deeply on the subject), it's no surprise that they'd make some mindfucking horror flicks.

Also, low budget is the way to make a scary movie.  Hollywood has great special effects and all but then it seems it's more eye candy than horrifying

goodpost.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 22 2008, 06:25 AM)
Over here in Japan nearly everyone I know believes in ghosts/spirits. And tons claim to have seen something. It truly is a part of the culture. Given that (since they'd think deeply on the subject), it's no surprise that they'd make some mindfucking horror flicks.

Also, low budget is the way to make a scary movie. Hollywood has great special effects and all but then it seems it's more eye candy than horrifying

That pretty much says it all.

All the special effects in the world wont save a shitty story line.

It's all in the mind!!

Not the effects.