A Farewell to Kings

mfratt

I'm trying to put my finger on the meaning of naming the album "A Farewell to Kings" and the apparently related cover art, and even the crowned skull.

Its one of those things that I know its got a certain significance, I just can't pinpoint it.

Any help?

I'll see your 2 cents and raise it 2 more.... this is from wikipedia;

The name of the album itself is clearly derivative of Ernest Hemingway's classic novel A Farewell to Arms. It often deals lyrically with the theme of departure, and through departure, a sort of ascension to a state of better being; this can be said to echo the evolution of society from the days of medieval feudalism and autocratic monarchy, hence "a farewell to kings".

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Aug 29 2008, 01:16 AM)

The name of the album itself is clearly derivative of Ernest Hemingway's classic novel A Farewell to Arms. It often deals lyrically with the theme of departure, and through departure, a sort of ascension to a state of better being; this can be said to echo the evolution of society from the days of medieval feudalism and autocratic monarchy, hence "a farewell to kings".

goodpost.gif

The title track is, what I think, at least in part of how history will view this transition of enlightenment.

QUOTE (FezPaul @ Aug 29 2008, 01:04 AM)

That's cheating. This is the internet. You're supposed to make stuff up. tongue.gif

yeah but I'm a RUSH fan so obviously I'm a perfectionist!! tongue.gif tongue.gif

I think the puppet on the front represents how the monarchy was usually influenced by advisors and other people as to what they should do.

I think there's a term out there called "political puppet".

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Aug 29 2008, 12:19 PM)
I think the point they were trying to get across with both the album title and cover art is We are Rush and we are here to rock.

1022.gif

Hells yeah!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Docmilsap @ Aug 29 2008, 04:05 PM)
I don't get this "reading into stuff".......who cares?

The album was 30+ years ago, if you asked them now i'm sure they'd go " jeez it was a long time ago, we're not sure".

A positive person? Aren't ya?

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Aug 29 2008, 02:19 AM)
QUOTE (FezPaul @ Aug 29 2008, 01:04 AM)

That's cheating. This is the internet. You're supposed to make stuff up. tongue.gif

yeah but I'm a RUSH fan so obviously I'm a perfectionist!! tongue.gif tongue.gif

goodpost.gif

Zing!

The album was 30+ years ago, if you asked them now i'm sure they'd go " jeez it was a long time ago, we're not sure".

no.gif

Rush don't do anything by accident; there's a reason for everything, and Neil really means what he writes about, even if the intention is only to be silly and nonsensical.

If not, we may as well be listening to ACDC and their "deep" lyrics. [/sarcasm]

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 1 2008, 07:21 AM)

no.gif

Rush don't do anything by accident; there's a reason for everything, and Neil really means what he writes about, even if the intention is only to be silly and nonsensical.

Go listen to Ride On. Deep and emotional from AC/DC. Who'd have thought it. Much more deep than some silly sci-fi twaddle.

Anyway, Classic Rock has this to say about it; "Neil Peart's plea for a better, more honest world was born on 1977's A Farewell To Kings" SO that enlightenment theme being banded around is pretty spot on, I'd say.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Sep 1 2008, 05:48 AM)

no.gif

Go listen to Ride On. Deep and emotional from AC/DC. Who'd have thought it. Much more deep than some silly sci-fi twaddle.

Anyway, Classic Rock has this to say about it; "Neil Peart's plea for a better, more honest world was born on 1977's A Farewell To Kings" SO that enlightenment theme being banded around is pretty spot on, I'd say.

"...I got patches on the patches...of my old blue jeans...well they used to be blue when they used to be new...when they used to be clean..." - Bon Scott

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Sep 1 2008, 05:48 AM)

no.gif

Roughly what I said several posts ago.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 1 2008, 12:21 PM)
Everyone is wrong.
It's about LSD.

Michael "Ego Death" Hoffman, is that you? laugh.gif

QUOTE (mfratt @ Aug 28 2008, 10:35 PM)
I'm trying to put my finger on the meaning of naming the album "A Farewell to Kings" and the apparently related cover art, and even the crowned skull.

Its one of those things that I know its got a certain significance, I just can't pinpoint it.

Any help?

My own take, when the album came out, was that it could be self reflection, wondering if they were taking a path leading to selling out, going commercial.

Caress of Steel had been a high-water mark of personal expression for the band. When it was panned, instead of trying to appease the critics, they released the watershed 2112, yet if Discovery was a metaphor for their earlier work, the line "Just think about the average, what use have they for you?", sounded like a premonition of a sentiment the band may yet embrace. Now consider the opening verse of A Farewell to Kings:

"When they turn the pages of history

When these days have passed long ago

Will they read of us with sadness

For the seeds that we let grow

We turned our gaze

From the castles in the distance

Eyes cast down

On the path of least resistance"

If "us" is the band, the above could be interpreted as abandoning their loftier pursuits for for more commercially viable alternatives.

Of course, the above thoughts were the ruminations of a sixteen year old, so consider them at your own risk. Your mileage may vary.

Archived