Just finished Traveling Music

The Owl

Like the Title says, I just finished reading Neil's third book "Traveling Music: The soundtrack to my life and times"

I really enjoyed this book, more so than "Ghost Rider". (I have not read Masked Rider). I really like the structure of this book, half traveling story, half auto-biography. It was real intresting to read about Niels family, espiscally his time in London. ANd how his interpretations of music have formed.

I do have a quetstion though, I have not read Masked Rider yet, and in Traveling Music in one chapter he describes an African Bike trip. Is that the same bike trip described in Masked Rider? Just a shorter version.

And speaking the African trip, It suprised me that Neil had almost died!!!!! I know to never go swimming in an African river....... And that trip must have taken quite a bit of an endurance trip for him, and his poor riding companion Herb biggrin.gif .

I plan on starting Roadshow next.

Traveling Music was a bit of a surprise to me in so far as Neil's musical taste. Playing a non-melodic instrument like the drums you never really know what drummers like to listen to and Neil's admiration of Patsy Cline and Big Frank I didn't expect and is nice to see he has a broad range of influences. Reminds me of how John Bonham was such a big fan of Mowtown records.

Although I don't see how he can be so dismissive of post big band jazz as just "noodling". Good book though.

Roadshow is very good & a fun read, you'll like it.

Roadshow's a great book. Going through it the second time now, Masked Rider for a 3rd time. I don't remember anything about an African River and him almost dying though. confused13.gif I know that he practically spent an entire night in a nasty, crusty shitter and felt like he was gonna die (Roseanne Rosannadanna accent). Then there was the time that one of the African Road Guards was drunk and waving his AK around making Neil feel like he was gonna get his head blown off accidentally. Not to mention his ordeal in Chad with his passport being hijacked by authorities. Other than that and swarms of mosquitoes every night........he had a ball!! laugh.gif

Hey Owl.....you need to run "spel chekker" tongue.gif

QUOTE (Test4Eco23 @ Aug 28 2008, 01:01 PM)
I would love to see a book about the Snakes and Arrows tour. I loved Roadshow, in fact I am now reading it for the third time!

Whoa. . .off topic, but is that your kit, T4E23???

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Aug 28 2008, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (Test4Eco23 @ Aug 28 2008, 01:01 PM)
I would love to see a book about the Snakes and Arrows tour.  I loved Roadshow, in fact I am now reading it for the third time!

Whoa. . .off topic, but is that your kit, T4E23???

No kidding! Did you swipe it from Neil while on tour?

The only book I haven't read is Masked Rider. I've enjoyed reading the other three. Given his lyrics, I'm not surprised how articulate and descriptive he is in his books.

Write us another one, Neil!

"Traveling Music" was my favorite of Neil's books because it contained the most biographical information.

A lot of the "childhood" stuff he'd already written about in his newspaper article "A Port Boy's Story" (check the Powerwindows site for complete text), but in "Traveling Music" he went into a little more detail. And as for his time in London: we all knew he'd spent time there as a young man, but we didn't know the details until "Traveling Music." Great stuff.

If it's biographical info or Rush info you seek in Neil's books, the next one you should try is "Roadshow." Unfortunately, there's little to be found in "Ghost Rider" or "Masked Rider."

Yep that's my kit. I have more photos my wife shot of me while I was playing. I decided to add a couple to my signature. I am actually a pretty modest person but I am very proud of my drums and like to show them to visitors when they come to my home. So I thought I would show them to all of you. I believe your signature should say something about yourself. The locomotive in my signature that reads road number 2112, is a locomotive from the railroad I work for. I will add more photos of my drums in the drummers thread very soon.

QUOTE (SimpleKindMirror @ Aug 28 2008, 02:00 PM)
I don't remember anything about an African River and him almost dying though. confused13.gif I know that he practically spent an entire night in a nasty, crusty shitter and felt like he was gonna die

It is in the last few pages of the "Chorus Four" chapter. He had the Oogabooga Fever" as he called it. Something of which the doctors said was "Ultimatly fatal".

But the medicine for it was actually a small dosage of poision.

Niel never said that he "thought he would die", but he came pretty damn close.

QUOTE (Test4Eco23 @ Aug 28 2008, 06:01 PM)
Yep that's my kit. I have more photos my wife shot of me while I was playing. I decided to add a couple to my signature. I am actually a pretty modest person but I am very proud of my drums and like to show them to visitors when they come to my home. So I thought I would show them to all of you. I believe your signature should say something about yourself. The locomotive in my signature that reads road number 2112, is a locomotive from the railroad I work for. I will add more photos of my drums in the drummers thread very soon.

Thanks for sharing. That kit's awesome; you're right to be proud of it. Got anything up on YouTube?

Nothing on YouTube yet, but I have been considering it. I have seen several guys and kids playing Rush songs on YouTube, and since there are so many I didn't think anyone would even bother watching it. Thanks for the kind words.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 28 2008, 11:22 AM)
Is that the same bike trip described in Masked Rider?

yes

my favorite thing about the book is all the songs and bands he talks about... as I read the book I tried to find any music I hadn't heard before thinking "hey if Neil likes it, it's gotta be good!!" 1022.gif

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Aug 29 2008, 01:21 AM)
my favorite thing about the book is all the songs and bands he talks about... as I read the book I tried to find any music I hadn't heard before thinking "hey if Neil likes it, it's gotta be good!!" 1022.gif

I don't think I could listen to Madonna. And for me Linkin Park gets old real fast.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 29 2008, 12:32 AM)
my favorite thing about the book is all the songs and bands he talks about... as I read the book I tried to find any music I hadn't heard before thinking "hey if Neil likes it, it's gotta be good!!"  1022.gif

I don't think I could listen to Madonna. And for me Linkin Park gets old real fast.

good point but RUSH'll always be there to fall back on... 1022.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 29 2008, 01:32 AM)
my favorite thing about the book is all the songs and bands he talks about... as I read the book I tried to find any music I hadn't heard before thinking "hey if Neil likes it, it's gotta be good!!"  1022.gif

I know I can't listen to Whoredonna and Lincoln Park did get old real quick.

Nor do I share Neils passing fancy for 98 Degrees (or one of those boy bands)...I still can't believe he went to one of their concerts and met them backstage. That kinda knocked my legs out from under me for a spell.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Aug 29 2008, 02:50 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 29 2008, 01:32 AM)

I know I can't listen to Whoredonna and Lincoln Park did get old real quick.

Nor do I share Neils passing fancy for 98 Degrees (or one of those boy bands)...I still can't believe he went to one of their concerts and met them backstage. That kinda knocked my legs out from under me for a spell.

Everyone has a dark side, and an occasional lapse in taste. laugh.gif

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Aug 29 2008, 02:24 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 29 2008, 12:32 AM)

good point but RUSH'll always be there to fall back on... 1022.gif

I agree, and I'm also not keen on Sinatra - which is, like, half the CDs he plays!

But one artist he recommended drew my interest: Jeff Buckley. I've heard such amazing things about his Grace CD, and with Neil also recommending it, maybe I should check it out.

I have found that for some reason, the people who make the music I love the best hardly ever have musical tastes in common with mine. I'm most of the way through Travelling Music, and so far the only music Neil has talked about that I really love is The Who, and the song "No Promises," by Icehouse. I also agree with him about the Beatles. I don't think the Beatles are overrated, but I do think that they are overly revered.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 29 2008, 09:12 AM)
I have found that for some reason, the people who make the music I love the best hardly ever have musical tastes in common with mine. I'm most of the way through Travelling Music, and so far the only music Neil has talked about that I really love is The Who, and the song "No Promises," by Icehouse. I also agree with him about the Beatles. I don't think the Beatles are overrated, but I do think that they are overly revered.

Yes...I believe this is true at times.

From what I've read and heard over the years, Geddy is a HUGE fan of BJORK. Now, I don't know much of her stuff, but I do know it's nothing like RUSH. laugh.gif

I find it interesting how some of these guys listen to things on a regular basis that are NOTHING like what they write on their own albums. That's always been quite intriguing. wacko.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 29 2008, 09:12 AM)

I've always disliked Sinatra. Just not my thing.

And I remember the song "No Promises" well! It was one of my favorites back in 1986, so I think it's cool that Neil was so into it. However, he was cruising around listening to it in his Porsche 911, and I was cruising around listening to it in my Honda Accord. rofl3.gif

That was the only decent Icehouse album. They got stupid pop after that.

Geddy mentioning Bjork in some interview is what made me try her music; now she is one of my favorites. She is unashamedly herself.

My understanding is that Neil has taken several bicycling trips in Africa over the years. Masked Rider just chronicles one of them.

Archived