the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

http://www.myspace.com/emperorstan

I've shared this on TRF before, but this is Emperor Stan. A prog rock band put together by some of my old high school buddies. They were pretty badass and were active in the Lawrence, KS area from 2003-2007. After which Andy, the drummer, went to Indiana for college, and a year later Kyle, the lead singer/keyboardist, moved to AZ. Take a listen! 1022.gif

Edited by progrush2112

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 6 2010, 11:37 PM)
QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Aug 6 2010, 08:19 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 6 2010, 04:57 PM)
If it weren't for music, I think I'd go insane. No matter how crappy things may seem, I can plug in, tune out and get my head together. Music is my alternate universe.

I couldn't agree more

+1

yes.gif Exactly... Just shoot me with out my music http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent094.gif

For the five or so people that care, I've got my second 'First Day of School' blog up on last.fm.

Attn: uploaders

Please stop uploading rips with skips, imperfections, terrible 128kbps bitrates, poorly-done inaccurate tags, missing songs, corrupt files, etc... seriously, you're not doing anybody any favors.

signed,

frustrated downloaders everywhere.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 8 2010, 09:17 PM)
For the five or so people that care, I've got my second 'First Day of School' blog up on last.fm.

jesus christ, you're back in school already? i'm not in damn school yet, and i go to college....

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 11 2010, 12:33 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 8 2010, 09:17 PM)

jesus christ, you're back in school already? i'm not in damn school yet, and i go to college....

Yep. We pretty much always start around August 7-10 (last year we started on August 7, a Friday, which made no f***ing sense) but we pretty much always get out around May 20.

Oh, and I totally agree with your previous comment to uploaders uploading shitty-quality music. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 11 2010, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 11 2010, 10:59 AM)
Soundgarden.......DEFINITELY underrated. 1022.gif

yes.gif I need to hear more than "Superunknown" which I dearly love.

Same here. I don't know why I never got around to buying more Soundgarden. I think I have one of their first ones on cassette, though. That might count, if only I had a tape player.

just got done listening to Mahler's second symphony. All I can say is....

holy shit. Mahler composed some of the most intense, beautiful music ever written. Movements 4 and 5 are definitely among the most beautiful classical pieces to feature vocals.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 11 2010, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 11 2010, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 11 2010, 10:59 AM)
Soundgarden.......DEFINITELY underrated. 1022.gif

yes.gif I need to hear more than "Superunknown" which I dearly love.

Same here. I don't know why I never got around to buying more Soundgarden. I think I have one of their first ones on cassette, though. That might count, if only I had a tape player.

I was listening to a compilation CD that I had made from my favorites from Superunknown and Badmotorfinger.

Quite the album......it'll have to get another spin today! smile.gif

Downloading Camel - Moonmadness right now in glorious FLAC! Before I only had it in MP3 @ 128 kbps. 062802puke_prv.gif But now I can hear the original CD pressing as it was meant to be heard. 1022.gif Edited by Show Don't Tell

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Aug 14 2010, 04:16 PM)
Downloading Camel - Moonmadness right now in glorious FLAC! Before I only had it in MP3 @ 128 kbps. 062802puke_prv.gif But now I can hear the original CD pressing as it was meant to be heard. 1022.gif

Lulz. You couldn't ever find a version of it in 320 kbps, or even 256, before?

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 14 2010, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Aug 14 2010, 04:16 PM)
Downloading Camel - Moonmadness right now in glorious FLAC! Before I only had it in MP3 @ 128 kbps. 062802puke_prv.gif But now I can hear the original CD pressing as it was meant to be heard. 1022.gif

Lulz. You couldn't ever find a version of it in 320 kbps, or even 256, before?

http://i37.tinypic.com/15qdeeh.jpg

a week ago I bought a record player at a yard sale for $20 (made in 2005) and they threw in about 30 LP's for free, all from the 60's and 70's. Some good and some lame but I'm keeping all but 3 of em. 4 days ago I bought 16 killer LP's for $30 (some very rare, all in VG or EX condition) and today I bought 18 albums for $20 (some more killer albums, a few hard to find as well, most VG or EX, a couple OK).

so in my new vinyl adventure that is a week old, I spent $70 and to show for it I have a very good new-ish turntable, 34 killer albums(about 20 of them in EX condition), about 15 more cool albums worth having and about 10 more that are ok.

I grew up in the 70's and 80's spinning LP's but I gave em all away and my turntable 17 years ago. Quite a few of these new LP's are ones I had a long, long time ago so I'm having lots of fun on my current nostagia trip.

Edited by Bastille Dave

QUOTE (xXDreamlinerXx @ Aug 18 2010, 01:07 AM)
The outro solo to Dream Theater's The Ministry of Lost Souls is absolutely beautiful. Just dripping with emotion. Shivers, man. Whoever said Petrucci is just a mindless shredder is horribly mistaken.

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

biggrin.gif