New Metallica Single out Tomorrow

Some of you need to get over yourselves. Metallica can do no right for most people anymore. The song has its flaws, but it's not a sappy ballad and it sure as hell isn't St. Anger. It has awesome harmonies and a pretty kickass instrumental section at the end.

People wanted Metallica to prove that they still have it in them, and to me, this sounds as fresh as anything else I'm hearing out there. It's not old Metallica, it's new, and it's refreshing to hear them ripping it up properly instead of in a misguided mess (St. Anger).

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 21 2008, 02:39 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Aug 21 2008, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Aug 21 2008, 02:22 PM)
Im listening to the new song now!

That wasnt too bad!! I like the ending!

something tell's me i will like when it ends also

I heard it yesterday and all I can say is...........

schla03.gif

They really need to give it up. Besides being assholes they don't write good music anymore.

I agree with the claims that they can do no right anymore, part of which is their fault of course...and part of it is also rampant fan cynicism which induces people to vomit at the mere mention of their name. It's a bit dramatic, like George Lucas "raping people's childhood with the Star Wars prequels"...along those lines.

I think no matter what they do Metallica's sort of screwed. If they play a song just like one from Puppets then they're not creative and just re-riffing and scabbing their old stuff to please everyone. If they do new things it's just showing how far out of touch they are by getting away from the things that people most want to hear. It's not an enviable postition to be in, deserved or not. I wouldn't want to be them in that regards.

That said I still share the frustration. I'm not one of those guys that say everything since Justice or Puppets blows. I think their self-titled is actually their BEST album, not a sell-out....(and yes, I was already a fan for a long while prior). I didn't like Load when it came out, but I've come to appreciate it more. I was reacting to it not being as heavy when it was still actually quite good. I think most of Re-Load sucks, even still...and I like about 3 or 4 cuts off St. Anger and that's all there. So clearly there's been a long-standing decline for me since Metallica, and one that I hope the new album rectifiies a bit.

I do think the guys needed two things: a change in producer and co-songwriters. It looks like one of those things happened and the production on the new song sounds pretty good...and a far cry better than the last album, which isn't saying much, I know.

After listening to the new song a few times I like it pretty well. Like anything, you should give it a few good listens before casting judgment. I do agree with those that think the parts are parts somewhat slapped together...like bits of this and that. I think there's a mellow cohesion to the beginning in a One/Sanitarium-inspired way...and then they heavy up into some changing riffs that jump around a bit, including some Maiden-like dual harmonies and the like.

In the end I think we're a bit harsh on the band, but ultimately it's disillusionment they've earned to some degree with odd turns and long waits between albums, for whatever reason. The best way to battle criticism of a bad record is to get right in there and record another one. THere's NO REASON Metallica can't have a new album out in 2-3 years again and they're averaging better than twice that time. That's a lot of time for people to reflect on how they've been "let down." So they bring a lot of this on themselves.

I do think that once your parce out the gushing OMGZ!!! folks and the "I listened to 30 seconds of it then vomitted" haters, you're left with clear thinking people somewhere in the middle. I'm more interested in what they have to say.

Personally, I don't love it immediately...but I like it just fine. It's a good song. It's not a classic yet, but it's about 20 hours old too, so....you know...give it a few more nanoseconds to grow, ok?

QUOTE (SteelersFreak1 @ Aug 22 2008, 07:39 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 21 2008, 03:57 PM)
Got some VERY Maiden-esque riffing going on around the 5:20 mark.

Makes sense that they would want to emulate an old metal band that can actually still make music.

(see my post above)

It's not a terrible song, but they needed to come out with something amazing right out the gate. The general consensus (from people I know, other forums, etc.) is that this single is just very underwhelming. Hell, Cyanide sounded badass from that live video. They should have went with that song.

OK, I downloaded all 8 minutes yesterday and kind of listened yesterday, and actually played the song on the air this morning. I'll say it's better than St. Anger, but I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed. First off, I don't know if it was the source that I got it from, but from about 5 minutes on the audio was clipping it was so hot. I downloaded a .wav format version from a source that supplies usually great quality downloads for radio station airplay, so it wasn't a result of a lo-fi version.

Besides that, the radio programmer in me thinks that any band should always try to put their best foot forward when trying to garner airplay. If "The Day That Never Comes" is the BEST song on Death Magnetic, then Metallica has problems.

Even my former intern, who is a die-hard-Metallica-can't-ever-do-wrong fan was surprisingly underwhelmed by the first single. Don't get me wrong, the song does rock for sure, and it's a good song....it's just not a great song.

Needless to say, until I get an actual 'hard copy' of the single next week, I won't play it anymore. It's killing my processors....

OK, I downloaded all 8 minutes yesterday and kind of listened yesterday, and actually played the song on the air this morning. I'll say it's better than St. Anger, but I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed. First off, I don't know if it was the source that I got it from, but from about 5 minutes on the audio was clipping it was so hot. I downloaded a .wav format version from a source that supplies usually great quality downloads for radio station airplay, so it wasn't a result of a lo-fi version.

Besides that, the radio programmer in me thinks that any band should always try to put their best foot forward when trying to garner airplay. If "The Day That Never Comes" is the BEST song on Death Magnetic, then Metallica has problems.

Even my former intern, who is a die-hard-Metallica-can't-ever-do-wrong fan was surprisingly underwhelmed by the first single. Don't get me wrong, the song does rock for sure, and it's a good song, and it certainly harkens back to "Master of Puppets" in it's feel, but it's just not a great song. I bet old-school pre Black album fans will like it more.

Needless to say, until I get an actual 'hard copy' of the single next week, I won't play it anymore. It's killing my processors....

I'm going to just say that outside of St. Anger, I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. All of their albums have been great to me!

I'll go on record as saying that the Black Album, Load, and ReLoad are amongst my favourite albums from them! Amazing work there. yes.gif

I have to say...I just listened to the new track, and it sounds really good to me. It's already a step ahead of St. Anger, and that is good news folks. The thing that struck me right away was the INTRO! WOW...those are some sweet notes that Kirk is playing there...fantastic. I can agree that James' vocals don't sound as great as they used to, but the music (and production) sound like they're back on track. 1022.gif

I'm taking this with a grain of salt...but I can see myself buying this album. (St. Anger is the only Metallica album I don't own!)

Just great stuff...I just wish they didn't waste so many years in between releases! Just 10 studio albums after 26 years!! eh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 21 2008, 03:26 PM)
this crap sounds like a mix of the black album, load and re-load. they are so far removed from the band i grew up listening to it is sickening. james really think's he is a singer now. i have now offically given up all hope . 20 years of waiting for something that makes me say HOLY SHIT they are back . nope, gone forever in my book . the band that was is no more .  IMO

Yep....couldn't agree more. From the Black album on has been crap as far as i'm concerned. The day's of Ride the Lightning, Kill 'em All and Master of Puppets are very long gone. On second listen, this single is pretty uninspiring. Listen to this back to back with something like Disposable Heroes lets you know how bad it's gotten.

WMMR in Philly played it last night, saying they were the first radio station in the country to break it. I heard almost all of it, and i must say, i liked it. I need to hear it a few more times to give an opinion other than that.. I liked it. Then again, I like everything Metallica does. Got into them when Justice for All came out and have bought ever album since (and with me that happens with very few bands/artists). Even dug St. Anger. So, i'm not surprised i like it, and i'm sure i'll buy the album.

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Dax @ Aug 23 2008, 09:23 AM)
this crap sounds like a mix of the black album, load and re-load. they are so far removed from the band i grew up listening to it is sickening. james really think's he is a singer now. i have now offically given up all hope . 20 years of waiting for something that makes me say HOLY SHIT they are back . nope, gone forever in my book . the band that was is no more .  IMO

Listen to this back to back with something like Disposable Heroes lets you know how bad it's gotten.

It's not much different than listening to Natural Science or Xanadu.......then listening to Workin' Them Angels or The Larger Bowl.........

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 23 2008, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (Dax @ Aug 23 2008, 09:23 AM)

Listen to this back to back with something like Disposable Heroes lets you know how bad it's gotten.

It's not much different than listening to Natural Science or Xanadu.......then listening to Workin' Them Angels or The Larger Bowl.........

Right, but I see the main difference is that Geddy did and still does sing well, Rush's lyrics have always been involving, their musicianship hasn't faltered, etc, etc. Metallica has been on a downward spiral of not being able to make memorable songs, good riffs, or being anything more than uninspiring. That's just my a**hole, I mean my opinion. smile.gif

Archived