Instrument versatility?

Steevo

On Rush records Alex plays keyboards (inc bass pedal) and mandola which I think is like a mandolin but tuned a 5th lower like a viola (mandolin having the same tuning as a violin).

I think it is a matter of record that Neil can't play anything else 'not even cards' (or words to that effect - it may have been tongue in cheek though).

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Aug 19 2008, 04:28 PM)
Well, Neil is more than a drummer though. He plays mallet instruments too.

True, but not in way say Ruth Underwood played mallets (she played vibes, marrimba etc with Zappa, astonishing percussionist).

QUOTE (blackfield @ Aug 19 2008, 12:23 PM)
Alex is rumored to occasionally play on keyboards, but I can't come up with a specific source 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Sometimes with his nose.

No, I'm not joking. I'm completely serious. I think it was on the CP tour during Time Stand Still (might be wrong about the exact song). He was busy with his other hands and would literally bend over and hit the key with his nose. I'll see if I can find a specific video of that.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Aug 19 2008, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (blackfield @ Aug 19 2008, 12:23 PM)
Alex is rumored to occasionally play on keyboards, but I can't come up with a specific source 2.gif  2.gif  2.gif

Sometimes with his nose.

No, I'm not joking. I'm completely serious. I think it was on the CP tour during Time Stand Still (might be wrong about the exact song). He was busy with his other hands and would literally bend over and hit the key with his nose. I'll see if I can find a specific video of that.

I saw him do that on the HYF tour...I think it was more of a joke than actually playing with his nose...Lerxst is known to be a jokester.....although there is an instrument called a Humanatone which is played with your nose....it's sometimes called a nose flute.

QUOTE (yaoi_myantidrug @ Aug 19 2008, 06:33 AM)
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l348/yaoi_myantidrug/90pic27.jpg

But can he actually play it, or is he just posing? tongue.gif

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Aug 19 2008, 08:03 AM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Aug 19 2008, 10:49 AM)
NEil can be considered a "percussionist"

You want to be more specific, probably. A pianist is a percussionist, but in a completely different way than Neil.

if you really get down to it, there are only two kinds of instruments

-wind:anything you blow air through

-percussion: anything you hit with something else

and that basically covers it all

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Aug 19 2008, 06:03 PM)
if you really get down to it, there are only two kinds of instruments

-wind:anything you blow air through
-percussion: anything you hit with something else

and that basically covers it all

Some would argue there are stringed instruments, too. I won't even get into how my piano example falls vaguely between string and percussion.

Archived