I'm looking for a short story

Jack Aubrey

OK, I remember reading this story when I was in Junior High. The gist of it is that a man is challenged to a duel and when he gets ready to fight, his mouth has gone so dry from fear that his lips stick to his teeth. His opponent sees this and erroneously believes that the man is smiling so he backs out of the duel because he's terrified to fight a man who would smile so in the face of danger.

That's pretty much all I remember and I'd really like to read this story again. Do any of you fine folks know what it's called and/or who wrote it?

Thanks.

I know this story.

It's called:

The man who is challenged to a duel and when he gets ready to fight, his mouth has gone so dry from fear that his lips stick to his teeth. His opponent sees this and erroneously believes that the man is smiling so he backs out of the duel because he's terrified to fight a man who would smile so in the face of danger.

Quite a long title, but the story is well worth it.

QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ Jul 20 2008, 09:19 PM)
I know this story.

It's called:

The man who is challenged to a duel and when he gets ready to fight, his mouth has gone so dry from fear that his lips stick to his teeth. His opponent sees this and erroneously believes that the man is smiling so he backs out of the duel because he's terrified to fight a man who would smile so in the face of danger.

Uhh.......okay. unsure.gif

QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ Jul 20 2008, 08:19 PM)
I know this story.

It's called:

laugh.gif

Way to be a smartass! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 20 2008, 02:17 PM)
OK, I remember reading this story when I was in Junior High. The gist of it is that a man is challenged to a duel and when he gets ready to fight, his mouth has gone so dry from fear that his lips stick to his teeth. His opponent sees this and erroneously believes that the man is smiling so he backs out of the duel because he's terrified to fight a man who would smile so in the face of danger.

That's pretty much all I remember and I'd really like to read this story again. Do any of you fine folks know what it's called and/or who wrote it?

Thanks.

Nothing comes to mind on that one.

I remember a cool story about a boy and a tree.

He played in it when he was a kid.

He carved his and his girlfriend's initials in it when he was a teenager.

He cut it's branches off to build a house for his family.

He cut it's trunk down to make a boat.

And he used it's stump to rest on when he was old.

There was other stuff i can't remember, but along with the illustrations it was kinda cool. Can't remember the title.

QUOTE (Inthend @ Jul 23 2008, 11:43 PM)

Thanks.

There was other stuff i can't remember, but along with the illustrations it was kinda cool. Can't remember the title.

Inthend, I think that's "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein.

QUOTE (Rhiannon_of_Rivendell @ Jul 24 2008, 12:01 AM)

Thanks.

yes.gif that is The Giving Tree.

I know that story well.

sorry Jack, i don't know your story, but i'll ask my daughter. she works at a library @ Eastern Michigan University & is pretty knowledgeable on books and stories. she might know.

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jul 24 2008, 11:29 AM)

Thanks.

I know that story well.

sorry Jack, i don't know your story, but i'll ask my daughter. she works at a library @ Eastern Michigan University & is pretty knowledgeable on books and stories. she might know.

Thank you, sweetie!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 24 2008, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jul 24 2008, 11:29 AM)

Thanks.

I know that story well.

Thank you, sweetie!

you're very welcome! i just shot an email out to my daughter, and my cousin, who also works at a public library.

we'll see what, if anything turns up!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks.

You're not thinking of The Most Dangerous Game, written by Richard Connell, are you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Dangerous_Game

Edited by anagramking

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jul 24 2008, 01:01 PM)

Thanks.

You're not thinking of The Most Dangerous Game, written by Richard Connell, are you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Dangerous_Game

No, that's not it. I have read "The Most Dangerous Game" and enjoyed it very much, though.

Thanks.

It sounds quite good.

I know this story.

It's called:

Hahaha goodpost.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif z7shysterical.gif common001.gif cheer.gif

I know this story.

It's called:

"This is too funny, not nice but funny. Now you need to go sit in the corner for being a smarty pants. LOL! "

Back to topic...I have searched online plus asked a library friend of mine. She says nothing comes to mind about the story. She said she would keep looking around and ask a few of the other librarians.

Good luck with your search, and I will keep this in mind as well.

QUOTE (jillian815 @ Nov 3 2008, 11:41 AM)
I know this story.

It's called:

"This is too funny, not nice but funny. Now you need to go sit in the corner for being a smarty pants. LOL! "

Back to topic...I have searched online plus asked a library friend of mine. She says nothing comes to mind about the story. She said she would keep looking around and ask a few of the other librarians.

Good luck with your search, and I will keep this in mind as well.

How very kind! Thank you, Jillian.