Purt/Peert - Does It Really Matter?

GeddysMullet

Someone in the Colbert Report thread questioned how big a fan producer Jimmy really is, because he pronounced Neil's surname as "Purt" instead of "Peert." Well, I have a buddy who has seen them on every tour since the late 70s, owns everything they've ever released, knows all of their music, and patiently preached Rush to my oblivious ears for many years. I'd have to disagree with anyone who said he wasn't a "real" fan, and yet he still pronounces the name "Purt." Hell, I know better and I still sometimes say "Purt!"

Hey, it's great to know all the trivia, but does mispronouncing Neil's surname really mean you're not a proper fan even if you got them to perform on America TV for the first time in 33 years? I say No! I mean...Peart, okay? laugh.gif

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's nitpicking. I've been a Rush fan since 1981 and only recently did I learn the proper pronunciation of Peart. I still catch myself saying "Purt".

Also, I get the impression it's not that big a deal to Neil Peart himself.

if you know how to pronounce someone's name correctly and purposefully mispronounce it I think it's a sign of disrespect to the individual. Having said that, it is really only an issue if you do it in front of them but what's so hard about saying his name?

Of course it matters. If you are a Rush fan then you should at least know how to pronounce the band member's names correctly.

I expect most people on here would get a bit miffed if people mispronounced their names, it's only common courtesy to get people's names right.

And what if people were to pronounce 'Rush' 'Rash' I expect that would get your gander up smile.gif

I think that if neil REALLY cared, he would of said something by now. I hear way more people say purt than peert, and i'm sure he does too.

Right?

Unless he has said something about it and i never heard about it..

The point is there was no real way for a Rush fan to know how to pronounce Peart until the internet. I HAD NO IDEA how to pronounce Neil Peart's name until I read about it and heard it pronounced on the internet. And over the past 25 years I've read countless articles and interviews and attended several concerts. I now say "Peert" but sometimes I forget and say "Purt". That's 25 years of habit I have to deal with!

I know the right way to pronounce it, but 9 times out of 10 I still pronounce it the wrong way just because I've done it that way for so damn long.

If I mention his name on my radio show, which I have, I pronounce it the right way. Otherwise, I stick with Purt - it just WORKS for me. yes.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (RushRush10 @ Jul 17 2008, 04:57 PM)
I think that if neil REALLY cared, he would of said something by now. I hear way more people say purt than peert, and i'm sure he does too.

Right?

Unless he has said something about it and i never heard about it..

Actually, he DID say something. i don't remember where or when but in an interview he pointed to his ear and he said "Would you call this an er?"

And I was the one that brought it up and it is nitpicking... but if you don't know how to pronounce the bands' names could you be "The worlds biggest RUSH fan" as Clbert put it? I knew how to pronounce his name when I was in middle school.

QUOTE (Riv @ Jul 17 2008, 05:12 PM)
And I was the one that brought it up and it is nitpicking... but if you don't know how to pronounce the bands' names could you be "The worlds biggest RUSH fan" as Clbert put it?

yes.gif Yes, you can be a very big Rush fan and mispronounce Peart!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 04:02 PM)
The point is there was no real way for a Rush fan to know how to pronounce Peart until the internet. I HAD NO IDEA how to pronounce Neil Peart's name until I read about it and heard it pronounced on the internet. And over the past 25 years I've read countless articles and interviews and attended several concerts. I now say "Peert" but sometimes I forget and say "Purt". That's 25 years of habit I have to deal with!

Neil actually talks about the pronunciation of his name in his books.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 05:15 PM)
And I was the one that brought it up and it is nitpicking... but if you don't know how to pronounce the bands' names could you be "The worlds biggest RUSH fan" as Clbert put it?

Well, when I hear it it makes me cringe... but I'm sort of a perfectionist. I also think it is disrespectful to say a guys name wrong, especially on national TV. Can you do your damn homework?

QUOTE (Lrigyttiw @ Jul 17 2008, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 04:02 PM)
The point is there was no real way for a Rush fan to know how to pronounce Peart until the internet.  I HAD NO IDEA how to pronounce Neil Peart's name until I read about it and heard it pronounced on the internet.  And over the past 25 years I've read countless articles and interviews and attended several concerts.  I now say "Peert" but sometimes I forget and say "Purt".  That's 25 years of habit I have to deal with!

Neil actually talks about the pronunciation of his name in his books.

Yes. And he's only been published in the past several years. It just adds to my point!

QUOTE (Riv @ Jul 17 2008, 05:19 PM)

Well, when I hear it it makes me cringe... but I'm sort of a perfectionist. I also think it is disrespectful to say a guys name wrong, especially on national TV. Can you do your damn homework?

You know what, if it's a big deal to Neil Peart, I'm sure he respectively pointed it out to the director of The Colbert Report.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 17 2008, 04:48 PM)
if you know how to pronounce someone's name correctly and purposefully mispronounce it I think it's a sign of disrespect to the individual.  Having said that, it is really only an issue if you do it in front of them but what's so hard about saying his name?

goodpost.gif

Now, Zivojinovich on the other hand... laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Jul 17 2008, 05:19 PM)

You know what, if it's a big deal to Neil Peart, I'm sure he respectively pointed it out to the director of The Colbert Report.

He shouldn't have to. That's the big deal.

I've been a fan since 1988. In my late teens, I was very into Rush. wacko.gif

It wasn't until 2006 or so that I learned that it was pronounced "peert". The reason is; for almost 25 years, I was the only one in my small social circles that knew anything to know about Rush. Sure, I had a few friends who also liked Rush, but they knew no more than I did. We simply never had anyone correct us all these years. Thanks to teh internetz, I pronounce properly. smile.gif

that's absolute silliness- people mispronounce names all the time- most people pronounce things the way they are spelled- I know the correct pronunciation and probaboly just forget all the time. anyone who is that nitpicky needs to see a Pshychiatrist about OCD or look into prozac

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 04:15 PM)

excellent point- i don't think i ever heard anyone say his name - I have listened to Rush and read about them since 1981 but, In the US there is so little covereage that there is no way anyone would have known. I may have read about the correct way to pronounce it when I was a kid- (maybe cream magazine or soemthing) but, i forgot

i only found this forum in june of this year!

people mispronouce my name all the time-it's natural- I would look at it like ...........as long long as the checks clear...........

Correction- I mean excellent point to the guy who wrote that that no one would have heard his name pronounced correctly prior to the web- I QUOTED the wrong person-

Last thing i'll say on this - i feel that you should cut people slack for mispronouncing especially if it;s spelled in such a way as to invite it- My personal experience is similar - I know i have a weird spelled name and am always surprised when someone does pronounc it right!

anyway enough on that

Archived