Purt/Peert - Does It Really Matter?

GeddysMullet

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the early 90's I used to pronounce it "Purt", untill I got ahold of a cassette copy of Rush live at Electric Ladyland Studios from '74 and heard Gedd pronounce it correctly, and I've said "Peert" ever since!!

I only wish I could get that cassette converted to digital, cos I miss listening to it, now that I no longer have a cassette player...

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 05:02 PM)
The point is there was no real way for a Rush fan to know how to pronounce Peart until the internet. I HAD NO IDEA how to pronounce Neil Peart's name until I read about it and heard it pronounced on the internet. And over the past 25 years I've read countless articles and interviews and attended several concerts. I now say "Peert" but sometimes I forget and say "Purt". That's 25 years of habit I have to deal with!

I've known how to pronounce it for 27 years.

The reason why I know this is lost in antiquity.

I do remember asking someone but I don't recall who.....

Sorry, I just don't get how someone can claim to be a great, big, huge fan of a band that's been around for 34 freakin years and not know how to pronounce the names of the band members. This has been kind of a pet peeve of mine...and when this "huge fan" said "Purt" last night on national television it pissed me off a little. Their first American TV appearance in over 30 years...and Neil still gets his name mispronounced. Geez.

Neil Peart has been a publicly known person for 34 years (not a media hog type of public figure, thank God) and "fans" still can't pronounce his name? WTF? I don't get how someone can get "purt" from "Peart" anyway. It doesn't look ANYTHING like "purt". My first guess would be to say it how it looks: like the fruit with a "t" on the end. My second guess would probably be "pay-art". My third guess would have to be "peert"...given that "pea" is usually pron. like "pee". But "purt"? Where the hell did that come from?

My actual last name is not that difficult, (only 5 letters, just like Peart)but it's been mispronounced, misspelled, & mangled for years. So maybe I'm a bit touchier about this than if my name was Smith. Love what someone earlier said about Zivojinovich...good thing for Al the english translation was pretty cool and not something like "sausage maker". wink.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 17 2008, 05:30 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 05:02 PM)
The point is there was no real way for a Rush fan to know how to pronounce Peart until the internet.  I HAD NO IDEA how to pronounce Neil Peart's name until I read about it and heard it pronounced on the internet.  And over the past 25 years I've read countless articles and interviews and attended several concerts.  I now say "Peert" but sometimes I forget and say "Purt".  That's 25 years of habit I have to deal with!

I've known how to pronounce it for 27 years.

The reason why I know this is lost in antiquity.

I do remember asking someone but I don't recall who.....

Same here. And for about the same time frame, too. Don't remember who I asked, but I wanted to know how to say it right. Figured if I was going to be a fan of such an incredible band, I should know how to say their names.

One of my high school friends was working in radio while going to school...he helped me get my 1st radio job...might've been him I asked.

Why does it happen? Because it happens! Roll the bones! doh.gif

Is this really a "Rush fan breaker"? confused13.gif

Most of us, when it's pointed out, pronounce the name the right way.

It's a common mistake. Don't hold it against us! Neil Peart doesn't!

The spelling of my last name is continually butchered and don't hold it against anyone who does it. I've had friends for decades who misspell it. I guess there not my true friends. I've had in-laws misspell it. I guess they don't love or respect me. sad.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 05:45 PM)
Is this really a "Rush fan breaker"? confused13.gif

Absolutely not. I think fans and Neil are used to it.

And obviously if they had had more media exposure throughout their career, this wouldn't be an issue. But then you get stuff like last night's show and "School of Rock" and that just perpetuates the whole thing.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 17 2008, 06:55 PM)
what about the band "Heart"? Shouldn't that be pronounced "Heert" laugh.gif

An incredibly good, and obvious, example! laugh.gif

See, the thing is, that's how I pronounced Neil's last name when I started getting into them in 1982. It's spelled the same as "heart", so it's probably pronounced "Part". Then later, someone (a casual fan) "corrected" me saying it's pronounced "Pert", like the shampoo.

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Jul 17 2008, 05:20 PM)
Back in the early 90's I used to pronounce it "Purt", untill I got ahold of a cassette copy of Rush live at Electric Ladyland Studios from '74 and heard Gedd pronounce it correctly, and I've said "Peert" ever since!!

I only wish I could get that cassette converted to digital, cos I miss listening to it, now that I no longer have a cassette player...

What is Rush Live at Electric Ladyland? I have never heard of it

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Jul 17 2008, 06:56 PM)
Is this really a "Rush fan breaker"?  confused13.gif

And obviously if they had had more media exposure throughout their career, this wouldn't be an issue. But then you get stuff like last night's show and "School of Rock" and that just perpetuates the whole thing.

You know, Neil Peart met Jack Black. I think I read it in Travelling Music, anyway I wonder if Mr. Peart corrected Mr. Black? confused13.gif

School of Rock came out before Rush's R30 Tour, correct? And didn't Rush ask Jack Black's management if Jack Black wanted to play the role that eventually went to Jerry Stiller?

If so, I guess Neil wasn't that offended.

QUOTE (pm1970 @ Jul 17 2008, 07:01 PM)

It's a bootleg. The Fifth Order of Angels is better.

Yeah, it's a bootleg I bought back in the early 90's...A concert Rush put on in December of 74, shortly after Neil joined the band...Man, I haven't listened to it in a while, and now I wanna hear it again...Oh, how I wish I had one of those digital converter thingies for cassettes, now...

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 06:03 PM)

You know, Neil Peart met Jack Black. I think I read it in Travelling Music, anyway I wonder if Mr. Peart corrected Mr. Black? confused13.gif

School of Rock came out before Rush's R30 Tour, correct? And didn't Rush ask Jack Black's management if Jack Black wanted to play the role that eventually went to Jerry Stiller?

cool - i'll look for them

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Jul 17 2008, 06:10 PM)

Yeah, it's a bootleg I bought back in the early 90's...A concert Rush put on in December of 74, shortly after Neil joined the band...Man, I haven't listened to it in a while, and now I wanna hear it again...Oh, how I wish I had one of those digital converter thingies for cassettes, now...

thanks

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 07:03 PM)

The average person will not go around correcting everyone that mispronounces their names but will surely appreciate it when they make the effort to pronounce it correctly. I have worked with many people from other countries that had difficult to pronounce/difficult to spell names. They inevitably tell everyone to call them some Anglicized version (Al is a good example) or not to worry about. I have always made an effort to learn how to spell them and pronounce them correctly and they definitely appreciate the effort. The point I am making is not that you can;t be a fan if you don't know how to say it or that Neil should go around correcting everyone. What I am saying is that if you know how it's supposed to be pronounced, pronounce it correctly (mainly if speaking directly to the individual).

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jul 17 2008, 07:17 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 07:03 PM)

The average person will not go around correcting everyone that mispronounces their names but will surely appreciate it when they make the effort to pronounce it correctly. I have worked with many people from other countries that had difficult to pronounce/difficult to spell names. They inevitably tell everyone to call them some Anglicized version (Al is a good example) or not to worry about. I have always made an effort to learn how to spell them and pronounce them correctly and they definitely appreciate the effort. The point I am making is not that you can;t be a fan if you don't know how to say it or that Neil should go around correcting everyone. What I am saying is that if you know how it's supposed to be pronounced, pronounce it correctly (mainly if speaking directly to the individual).

I agree 100%.

I say "Purt" and always have. As long as I know how to spell it, that's all that matters for now. If I have the chance to meet him one day and say "Wow, you're Neil Peart!", then I'll say it correctly. cool.gif

Archived