A friend was sexually assaulted

Rushian King

She called me a little while ago and told me she was feeling sad. When I asked why she explained what happened to her on Thursday night.

She'd been seeing this guy for less than 3 weeks. No serious (i.e. below the belt, under clothes) physical contact had occured yet. He was out with his friends getting drunk following the Russia/Spain game. She met up with him after work and at one point tried holding his hand, trying to empathize with his sadness over his team's loss. He pulled his hand away and got all cold and rude.

So she got up and left to go home. He followed her and tried to make amends and by the time they got to her house she was feeling appeased enough to let him sit next to her. Then he suddenly sat on top of her and started ranting that she shouldn't smoke around him and shouldn't hang out with her friends instead of him. Then he started forcing his way.

My friend's pretty strong and was able to break a hand free and grab one of his hands and then found her voice (until then she was too shocked to say anything) to yell STOP a few times. Luckily he stopped and she ran into her house. He's called her MANY times since then, including using phone numbers she doesn't recognize, but she hasn't talked to him.

She's told her parents, her friends and her boss at work since she didn't want to go in on Friday. She has NOT told the police. She doesn't think it'll help and her family and friends think the same. I still think she should go to them-- I know it's easy to say when it doesn't directly affect you.

My friend is beating herself up over why she always seems to attract creeps. The previous guy she dated was a coke-head, another guy used to beat her, etc. And this isn't the first time my friend has been assaulted. I always thought guys like that are attracted to women who they think are weak and can be controlled. My friend is far from petite and is very vocal at voicing her displeasure over something so I'm not sure why she ends up with these guys.

My immediate feeling when she told me was anger. Let's find this guy and kick his @ss. She has friends that wouldn't be shy to involve themselves in such behaviour. We'll be going out tonight so we'll see what decisions are made.

When I asked her for details about the guy she was pretty sketchy about them. She doesn't know his last name and doesn't even know what apartment building, let alone apartment, he lives in. At first I thought this was weird, how could she go out with a guy a few times and not know these things? But when I think back to my own dating habits, I remember that the last woman I went out with regularly didn't know exactly where I lived either, although she knew my last name.

Sorry for rambling and starting this downer thread, I just wanted to vent a little before I see her tonight.

I would say to definitely keep away from him for sure. Idk about going to the police...I would say yes, but then again, it might not do anything since there wasn't an actual rape (sounds gritty, but I believe that's what they would say).

Sorry to hear this hug2.gif

do they have restraining orders up there?

better safe than sorry. she needs to stay away from him and watch her back. he probably knows evrything about her, wheres she works, lives, friends, hangouts so he can find her if he wants to.

Really you just need to be her friend and let her make her own decision about what to do. I know you are angry and want to defend her and beat this guy up (who wouldn't?) but this is actually all about her, not about anyone else.

Just make sure she knows you are there for her, that this is not her fault, the guy is a jerk/criminal/dangerous loser, she deserves much better, and you'll support her through whatever she decides to do, even if she's all over the place and keeps changing her mind. The last thing she needs is for someone to try to force her into something else she doesn't want to do (and that equally goes for her family).

The "right" thing is of course to report the guy to the police, but not if this will cost your friend too dearly.

Sorry you are having to deal with this. sad.gif

I would advise her to call the police if she sees him any where near her again. She doesn't want a repeat performance. A restraining order would be good too.

Does she know where he works? What department?

A friend could call on the sly and find out his last name.

We have restraining orders but they only work as well as the person it's against wants it to work. As far as not seeing him again, it turns he hangs out in the same area she does.

So I met up with her at 'her' bar after I'd been at 'my' bar-- we have our own circle of friends that generally don't mix. When I got there I was filled in on some happenings. The guy came into the bar looking for her, but she was in the washroom at the time. Her friends told him to get out and with the help of the staff/bouncer he is now banned. He then went to the bar next door. One could argue that that's 'his' bar.

I asked to have him pointed out to me, just so I know what this piece of sh!t looks like for future reference. I recognized him which means he's a regular to the area. (he's physically shorter/smaller than her) He was outside smoking and another girl accosted him and gave him some 'friendly' advice. I went up to him and asked him if his name was Max. He said yes, what was my name. I said it didn't matter and just stood there, looking at him, trying to get a read on him. He put out his cig and went in.

When we told my friend about our interactions and given what he said before I got there, he either has no recollection of his actions or is lying about not remembering. We'll see if this goes any further.

The good news is my friend is pretty resilient. Although she wasn't her usual outgoing self (for example she didn't sing karaoke) she wasn't in the dumps either. I'm confident she'll work through this. She has a lot of friends and her boss is going to help her get in touch with someone to talk to on Monday.

Glad to hear things are positive. Don't forget this might catch up with her later - shocks like this have a habit of surprising people again when they think they have recovered. Be there for her. smile.gif

sounds like he deserves a beating- does she have any brothers, father friends men or women that understand who want to offer to beat his ass?

If it was somoen i knew I would and if i couldn't do it i'd hire 2 or 3 for the job or use a bat

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail. If the assault was of the most serious kind, then it should be reported to the police immediately so that criminal charges can be brought against this idiot.

Looking for 'revenge" will only serve to escalate the situation until someone gets hurts bad.....or god forbid worse.

QUOTE (pm1970 @ Jun 30 2008, 11:43 AM)
sounds like he deserves a beating- does she have any brothers, father friends men or women that understand who want to offer to beat his ass?

If it was somoen i knew I would and if i couldn't do it i'd hire 2 or 3 for the job or use a bat

I fully understand why people would want to do this, but vigilante justice probably isn't a good idea.

RK, I hope your friend is feeling a little better. I feel really bad for her.

Too bad that she doesn't live around here. I know of some people that would make a really strong point. He would never talk to her again and probably would always have a limp or a twitch.

Does your friend have brothers?

QUOTE (edie @ Jun 28 2008, 11:28 PM)
Really you just need to be her friend and let her make her own decision about what to do. I know you are angry and want to defend her and beat this guy up (who wouldn't?) but this is actually all about her, not about anyone else.

Just make sure she knows you are there for her, that this is not her fault, the guy is a jerk/criminal/dangerous loser, she deserves much better, and you'll support her through whatever she decides to do, even if she's all over the place and keeps changing her mind. The last thing she needs is for someone to try to force her into something else she doesn't want to do (and that equally goes for her family).

The "right" thing is of course to report the guy to the police, but not if this will cost your friend too dearly.

Sorry you are having to deal with this. sad.gif

goodpost.gif

Well said.

Can I also add that it is important to remember that in this situation, control was taken from your friend. By geting too involved and doing things without consulting her, you also run the risk of taking control away from her, no matter how well-meaning your intentions are.

As Edie says, just be there for her, but allow her to decide what she wants to do (if anything) as it is about her and no-one else.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 30 2008, 05:43 PM)

Sorry you are having to deal with this.  sad.gif

goodpost.gif

Well said.

Can I also add that it is important to remember that in this situation, control was taken from your friend. By geting too involved and doing things without consulting her, you also run the risk of taking control away from her, no matter how well-meaning your intentions are.

As Edie says, just be there for her, but allow her to decide what she wants to do (if anything) as it is about her and no-one else.

goodpost.gif Nothing more to add to that.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 30 2008, 06:43 PM)

goodpost.gif

Well said.

As for perpetrating vigilante justice, she did say she didn't want anyone to go after him.

She decided to go to the police on Sunday and filed a videotaped report. The police told her that pressing charges probably wouldn't lead anywhere since all they have to go on is her word. She wasn't going to press charges anyway but wanted this on file just in case things escalate.

They said the info she had for him would be enough for them to find him, at which point they'd warn him to stay away from her. They told her not to have any contact with him.

As of today he's still calling and texting her.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jun 30 2008, 04:58 PM)
QUOTE (daveyt @ Jun 30 2008, 06:13 PM)
how is that sexual assult?

The "Then he started forcing his way." part of my OP would be the sexual part of the assault. I just didn't want to get into details on an open board.

Thanks for clearing that up. I am sorry that your friend had to go through this. I sure hope she stays clear of this moron!! Keep us posted.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jun 30 2008, 08:50 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 30 2008, 06:43 PM)

goodpost.gif

Well said.

As for perpetrating vigilante justice, she did say she didn't want anyone to go after him.

She decided to go to the police on Sunday and filed a videotaped report. The police told her that pressing charges probably wouldn't lead anywhere since all they have to go on is her word. She wasn't going to press charges anyway but wanted this on file just in case things escalate.

They said the info she had for him would be enough for them to find him, at which point they'd warn him to stay away from her. They told her not to have any contact with him.

As of today he's still calling and texting her.

I think it's time to plant the idea of a restraining order in her head. Things can get out of hand very quickly; he's already shown he has an unpredictable violent streak.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Jun 30 2008, 10:01 PM)
I think it's time to plant the idea of a restraining order in her head. Things can get out of hand very quickly; he's already shown he has an unpredictable violent streak.

She already has it in mind if he keeps bugging her. He keeps saying he's sorry and that he was drunk, blah, blah, blah. She ain't buying what he's selling.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jun 30 2008, 05:58 PM)
QUOTE (daveyt @ Jun 30 2008, 06:13 PM)
how is that sexual assult?

The "Then he started forcing his way." part of my OP would be the sexual part of the assault. I just didn't want to get into details on an open board.

should she also take some responsibility regarding her choices of men confused13.gif this wouldn't be a bid deal over here because she handled it. restraining order? she just met the guy. & it's done so...she should tell him on the phone that he f*cked up and that UR DONE -and then watch her back yes.gif

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Jun 28 2008, 06:02 PM)
She called me a little while ago and told me she was feeling sad. When I asked why she explained what happened to her on Thursday night.

She'd been seeing this guy for less than 3 weeks. No serious (i.e. below the belt, under clothes) physical contact had occured yet. He was out with his friends getting drunk following the Russia/Spain game. She met up with him after work and at one point tried holding his hand, trying to empathize with his sadness over his team's loss. He pulled his hand away and got all cold and rude.

So she got up and left to go home. He followed her and tried to make amends and by the time they got to her house she was feeling appeased enough to let him sit next to her. Then he suddenly sat on top of her and started ranting that she shouldn't smoke around him and shouldn't hang out with her friends instead of him. Then he started forcing his way.

My friend's pretty strong and was able to break a hand free and grab one of his hands and then found her voice (until then she was too shocked to say anything) to yell STOP a few times. Luckily he stopped and she ran into her house. He's called her MANY times since then, including using phone numbers she doesn't recognize, but she hasn't talked to him.

She's told her parents, her friends and her boss at work since she didn't want to go in on Friday. She has NOT told the police. She doesn't think it'll help and her family and friends think the same. I still think she should go to them-- I know it's easy to say when it doesn't directly affect you.

My friend is beating herself up over why she always seems to attract creeps. The previous guy she dated was a coke-head, another guy used to beat her, etc. And this isn't the first time my friend has been assaulted. I always thought guys like that are attracted to women who they think are weak and can be controlled. My friend is far from petite and is very vocal at voicing her displeasure over something so I'm not sure why she ends up with these guys.

My immediate feeling when she told me was anger. Let's find this guy and kick his @ss. She has friends that wouldn't be shy to involve themselves in such behaviour. We'll be going out tonight so we'll see what decisions are made.

When I asked her for details about the guy she was pretty sketchy about them. She doesn't know his last name and doesn't even know what apartment building, let alone apartment, he lives in. At first I thought this was weird, how could she go out with a guy a few times and not know these things? But when I think back to my own dating habits, I remember that the last woman I went out with regularly didn't know exactly where I lived either, although she knew my last name.

Sorry for rambling and starting this downer thread, I just wanted to vent a little before I see her tonight.

She should stay away form him, and (IMO) have no contact with him, except possibly convey the message that she doesnt want to ever see him again.

If that doesnt take, then removing his spleen through his nostrils...might not be a bad idea. wink.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 1 2008, 02:34 AM)

She should stay away form him, and (IMO) have no contact with him, except possibly convey the message that she doesnt want to ever see him again.

If that doesnt take, then removing his spleen through his nostrils...might not be a bad idea. wink.gif

I know some people that will do the job cut rate cool.gif

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jul 1 2008, 10:37 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 1 2008, 02:34 AM)

I know some people that will do the job cut rate cool.gif

Thay wouldn't be your fellow "forgiving" Christian friends, would they? wink.gif

Archived