• Merlot
    • Cabernet Savignon
    • Pinot noir
    • Zinfandel
    • Sangiovese
    • Barbera
    • I Prefer White
    • Wine? Grow a Pair!

RED Zin for me, none of that white crap! Cab followed closely behind. Please no more mention of the Italian Denny's (Olive Garden). Soup, salad and bread sticks are the only thing any good there.

We went to a little pizzeria by us that's BYOB. We brought a bottle of Portugese red, Dao region to be more specific. As overrated as California wine is, that's how underrated Portugese wine is. The bottle only set us back $15, and we got more than a glass apiece out of it. BYOB is such a great deal. And yes, we walked to and from the restaurant. No way in hell we could drive after we got through that bottle.

I'm a grape crush with Grey Goose kinda gal. Oh, and a big straw is a MUST!! Might I recommend: If they say they've run out of Grey Goose (which they actually did at the high roller lounge at Foxwoods) I HIGHLY recommend Belvedere vodka. If i didn't have my boyfriend there for me to hold on to, I'd have been a part of the floor decor (face first).

This also coerced me into drunk-dialing my girlfriends for medical assitance (I slurred my words and kept sliding out of my chair).

So, all-in-all .. Belvedere trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Mojo Risin' @ Jul 22 2008, 01:21 AM)
QUOTE (rushbass @ Jul 21 2008, 05:55 PM)
My favorite red wine... the one that's in my glass at the time! 

And I have a full glass right now! wink.gif  laugh.gif

Nice.

I like how the last option has 3 votes. confused13.gif trink38.gif

Well, I had my fair share of great brew in Vegas trink38.gif ...

thanks to suggestions from certain members on this board! wink.gif trink39.gif

Still, nothing wrong with enjoying some good wine as well... wink.gif

Edited by rushbass

I just tried a new one last night. The grape is called mencia and the wine was from the Bierzo region (no idea of the significance of the region as it pertains to wine) of Spain. It has a pretty spicy taste to it. Very interesting, anyway. It's always nice to discover something new. I find that the key is to keep trying new varieties instead of getting in a rut and drinking the same old stuff. It's amazing how much stuff is out there, and it's amazing how cheap a lot of it is.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Aug 7 2008, 04:47 PM)
I just tried a new one last night. The grape is called mencia and the wine was from the Bierzo region (no idea of the significance of the region as it pertains to wine) of Spain. It has a pretty spicy taste to it. Very interesting, anyway. It's always nice to discover something new. I find that the key is to keep trying new varieties instead of getting in a rut and drinking the same old stuff. It's amazing how much stuff is out there, and it's amazing how cheap a lot of it is.

I'm a bit rusty but I worked in fine dining for quite a stretch and have a high level of wine knowledge. Think about it tongue.gif

This is a high level wine that is considered "generic" by the wine snobs, and it is called "Opus One". It goes for $120-$165 a bottle in a restaurant. You could grab it for $55 bucks at the local liquor store.

I would recommend this one for a special occasion. Up front, it's like a very well aged Cabernet Sauvingon, the blend of grapes in the wine (can't remember off the top of my head any longer) are a combination of five. Again, Opus One starts off bold and woody, then goes almost a Merlot feel (after a second or two) and you get the Merlot metallic taste. After that is softens farily quickly with a slight and fruity after taste. Don't let "fruity" throw you off. This wine is robust.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Aug 7 2008, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Aug 7 2008, 04:47 PM)
I just tried a new one last night.  The grape is called mencia and the wine was from the Bierzo region (no idea of the significance of the region as it pertains to wine) of Spain.  It has a pretty spicy taste to it.  Very interesting, anyway.  It's always nice to discover something new.  I find that the key is to keep trying new varieties instead of getting in a rut and drinking the same old stuff.  It's amazing how much stuff is out there, and it's amazing how cheap a lot of it is.

I'm a bit rusty but I worked in fine dining for quite a stretch and have a high level of wine knowledge. Think about it tongue.gif

This is a high level wine that is considered "generic" by the wine snobs, and it is called "Opus One". It goes for $120-$165 a bottle in a restaurant. You could grab it for $55 bucks at the local liquor store.

I would recommend this one for a special occasion. Up front, it's like a very well aged Cabernet Sauvingon, the blend of grapes in the wine (can't remember off the top of my head any longer) are a combination of five. Again, Opus One starts off bold and woody, then goes almost a Merlot feel (after a second or two) and you get the Merlot metallic taste. After that is softens farily quickly with a slight and fruity after taste. Don't let "fruity" throw you off. This wine is robust.

I found this short wiki on Opus One:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_One_Winery

Do they use the mencia grape at all, or are you mentioning a wine completely apart from what I mentioned?

The wine we drank was $11 a glass, which was low end at this establishment (Olives, at the Bellagio; we're on vacation in Vegas). I imagine at a wineshop it would go for $15 a bottle or so.

Expounding further on the idea of trying a new wine and getting out of the comfort zone, we went to Mario Batali's Enoteca San Marco at the Venetian last night. The easy thing to do is find a chianti or a pinot grigio. We found this Slovenian wine made from a grape called ribolla gialla. The waiter told us about the process this wine underwent. Basically, it's made by the same process that the ancient Romans and Greeks used. So it had to be tried. It's actually not a red, and was found in the white wine category. However, the wine would be better described as orange, and it is served chilled. It's hard to describe what I tasted, but we both really liked it a lot. I'm not sure if I will ever see it on a menu again. Anyone ever run across this before?

From the list, I'd take a big, chewy old vine zinfandel. I really like petite syrah, chianti, sangiovese and rioja as well. Cabernets can be amazing, but are a real crap shoot in my book.

When I was one of the top California Waiters in the early 80's, I visited a small Chef owned eatery, that was haunted, and after dinner he sat with me and we drank two bottles of his Port, that he grew and vinted. It was most delicious. Another was a nice Chianti vinted by Brolio. I like several Cabernets and Beaujolais. I will be alcohol free this October 1st seven years now. 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Sep 4 2008, 08:26 PM)
When I was one of the top California Waiters in the early 80's, I visited a small Chef owned eatery, that was haunted, and after dinner he sat with me and we drank two bottles of his Port, that he grew and vinted. It was most delicious. Another was a nice Chianti vinted by Brolio. I like several Cabernets and Beaujolais. I will be alcohol free this October 1st seven years now. 2.gif 1022.gif

Congrats! 653.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Aug 12 2008, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Jun 30 2008, 10:42 PM)
Cherry Kool-Aid and Vodka!!!

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc95/chrisfreeman32/kool-aidman.jpg

spit6ph.gif

It's really funny, because he has to wear a dress when he drinks it. cool.gif

Would you like a lilttle umbrella w/ that LS?

Que Syrah/Shiraz, for me. Although I love a good Argentinian Malbec; also rioja is quite tasty.

Unfortunately I can't have any of it right now. Medication = no alkyhol. angry.gif