Very First Time

Rocinante

Okay, the first Rush song I ever heard was Madrigal. This man sang it to me and I was in love with him, so I decided to be in love with the song too. I was thirteen. We were in his car.

But the first time I heard the actual boys singing their song was later that night when he gave me Presto and told me to listen to The Pass first. So I did. I was thirteen, it wasn't quite five years ago and I was on my bedroom floor.

=]

Back from the Archives?

I completely forgot about Archives!

First Rush song- Bastille Day , ATWAS version.

1979, I was negative five years old. Summer camp road trip, hopefully it was to TO.

Memories flashing very quickly by...

Impossible to know for sure. I shared a room with my brother, and I know he bought Kings and Hemispheres when they came out. However, we didn't have a stereo in my room and since my mother didn't like the loud rock and roll, he listened to a lot of stuff on headphones. But I know there were times when mom wasn't home when the tunes got cranked. So it had to have been something from one of those albums. He lost interest after Moving Pictures, but I remember later buying Archives from someone at school (some fool) for like 2 or 3 bucks, and getting the other stuff later. This would have been when I actually had some money to spend. I was kind of a stupid kid who spent my paperboy money on candy and Mad magazines, until I was 12 or 13.
  • Like 2

Don't remember exactly when, but it had to have been Tom Sawyer back in my early teen years when I was really getting into music. That one was the only song I knew for sure was by them, lol. And for some reason, I always compared Journey to Rush...as in Journey was the femmie version of Rush. Don't ask me why I did that because I don't remember.

I have told this one before but here goes. I was 16 and riding back home in one of my friends car after playing a night baseball game. 3 or 4 of us used to take turns driving and would car pool to the games. He had two 8 tracks as I recall (this was 1976). He had Caress Of Steel and he had Angel's Helluva Band. Well he was playing Caress Of Steel and I am sure the first song I ever heard was Bastille Day. It wasn't to long after that I went to the record store with one of my other friends and picked out my first two album purchases ever. He suggested ATWAS and Sad Wings Of Destiny. Dude knew his sh*t. The rest is Rush history.... :codger:
  • Like 2

Not sure if I have shared this tale, but here goes:

I was 20 and getting increasingly frustrated with modern rock and metal. I enjoyed what I enjoyed, but had just got into Bruce Springsteen (on a whim), so decided there must be more great music from the past (sadly my parents taste in music ranges from Mantovani to ABBA, including all that is vanilla in between).

So I logged into Amazon, and bought these bargains on a whim:

Kate Bush- The Kick Inside

Chris Rea- Auberge

Radiohead- OK Computer

Fleetwood Mac- Rumours

Pink Floyd- DSOTM

Rush- Moving Pictures

Now, of all these albums, only one immediately jumped out as great: MP.

Within seconds of Tom Sawyer starting, I was certain a mistake was made: this sounded so modern!

And to this day, I still love MP an extraordinarily large amount. I bought it for the simple fact a guy in my village used to wear the T shirt with the cover. But it blew me away and after that, I bought 2112 and PeW, and after that CA, which cemented my fandom and led me to becoming a big, BIG fan,

Sure, I have since enjoyed the music of bands like Yes and Styx, who both have albums I like more than Rush, but it has to be said, Rush started it all for me.

Yes I became a fan of Fleetwood Mac from that binge, but ultimately, that random purchase changed my entire outlook on music with just that one Rush album.

Classic rock has become an obsession, for the simple fact that I cannot believe the wealth of talent that time has overlooked.

• Like 1

This may have been covered before but...

If you can think that far back (in some cases tongue.gif ),

1) What was the the very first song of theirs you ever heard,

2) When was it,

3) How old were you, and

4) Where were you at the time?

Mine was "In the Mood" in 1975 when I was 12 years old. I heard it on my spankin' new "Canada Gold" LP in the basement of my parent's house in a little town in northern Ontario.

Thus began a love affair...

First song was Working Man/Finding My Way/Drum solo Live on ATWAS.

Probably October after the album was released..not TOO long after, it was a friend that recently saw them in Harrisburg, PA who just got the album recently.

I was 14

I was in a friends bedroom....He prefaced the play of the track with "you're a drummer, right? Check out this guy!" I ordered the album from Columbia House the very next day!

• Like 1

It was October of 1977, sometime around Halloween.I was 17. I was at band rehearsal and the drummer in the band said to me "there's a song you really need to hear" and handed me A Farewell To Kings. He put Xanadu on over the PA and I was entranced, amazed and fell in love immediately. Went out and bought the album within the next week.

Anthem

June '76

Friend's house

My mates had been to Canada and heard this band, Rush, and brought Fly By Night back. Fell in instant musical love. Borrowed the album a week later and had it for ages.

1) I'm not 100% sure, but it might have been 2112, or something from Grace Under Pressure. GUP was the first Rush album i heard...

2) Most likely in 1985

3) 14

4) At my friends place, at that time I was 100% Kiss fan (since 1979)

• Like 1

Bastille Day - ATWAS

Around 1978/79

I was 11/12 years old

At the house of a friend. I was totally blown away from the very start.

:rush:

• Like 1