Ask Treeduck boxing questions !

Tick

Here's my contribution then that is sure to impress one and all.

When I worked in NYC in the seventies, I would sometimes take the subway and get off on Third Avenue in the upper fifties. The subway station was directly across the street from a place called Friar Tuck's Inn (I think that was the name of the place). Rocky Graziano owned it. He often was sitting at a table outside the restaurant early in the morning with a Scotch on the rocks in his hand when I would come up out of the subway station. We used to wave at each other every day, but I never knew who he was until one day an attorney I worked for told me.

Edited by Lorraine

When I worked in NYC in the seventies, I would sometimes take the subway and get off on Third Avenue in the upper fifties. The subway station was directly across the street from a place called Friar Tuck's Inn (I think that was the name of the place). Rocky Graziano owned it. He often was sitting at a table outside the restaurant early in the morning with a Scotch on the rocks in his hand when I would come up out of the subway station. We used to wave at each other every day, but I never knew who he was until one day an attorney I worked for told me.

Did you continue to wave once you knew who he was? Did it change your perception of the "restaurant waver" forever?

Did you continue to wave once you knew who he was? Did it change your perception of the "restaurant waver" forever?

Yes and no. His name meant nothing to me other than he had once been a prize fighter in the forties or fifties. I was a young chick in my early twenties back then. ;) Who cared about Rocky Graziano? :LOL: :cool:

Yes and no. His name meant nothing to me other than he had once been a prize fighter in the forties or fifties. I was a young chick in my early twenties back then. ;) Who cared about Rocky Graziano? :LOL: :cool:

But now you love him and want to prove you're the real Necromancer by romancing him with candles and chanting in Locust Valley Cemetery at midnight!

Edited by treeduck

But now you love him and want to prove you're the real Necromancer by romancing him with candles and chanting in Locust Valley Cemetery at midnight!

He was a nice looking older man at the time. What I remember is his eyes and his tan face and nice smile. I thought he was ancient back then, but he was younger then than I am now. :(

Will Berto shock the world?

Naaa he's been handpicked. Berto was exposed and beaten up by two guys that Floyd recently easily defeated.

I know. He's a bum. He got the shit kicked out of him by Soto Karras. Nothing more need be said.

I hope he turns into Rocky or Buster Douglas.

Imagine if he got lucky with a punch and knocked Floyd out. That would be hilarious!

Edited by Tick

He was a nice looking older man at the time. What I remember is his eyes and his tan face and nice smile. I thought he was ancient back then, but he was younger then than I am now. :(

There's one guy from his era who's still alive at 94, Jake Lamotta, the Bronx Bull!

070412jlamotta10wf_62888617.jpg

070412jlamotta1wf.jpg

Will Berto shock the world?

Naaa he's been handpicked. Berto was exposed and beaten up by two guys that Floyd recently easily defeated.

I know. He's a bum. He got the shit kicked out of him by Soto Karras. Nothing more need be said.

I hope he turns into Rocky or Buster Douglas.

Imagine if he got lucky with a punch and knocked Floyd out. That would be hilarious!

Yeah he was also knocked down twice by Guerrero who is a light hitter and also knocked down by Ortiz.

I'll still watch the fight but only a stream, no way would I pay for that!

Don't think I've ever asked any questions in here so ill try a few.

Try these duck:

(1) Have you ever thought about taking up boxing? If you do/did box, when did you take it up?

(2) Which boxer's story would make a great movie?

(3) Who would be in your top 5 boxers of all-time list?

Why is boxing a sport???

:P

I use to watch with my Step Father for years but then I watched Boom Boom Mancini destroy Duk Koo Kim who died three days later and that changed everything for me. I was sickened by the death but just as equally I was disgusted of how Mancini was treated after that fight. It was like he was to blame. It was obvious the Ref blew it by not stopping the fight, that is not Mancini's responsibility. He lost sponsorship's and was only known from then on as the one who killed that Korean. They train and tell a guy to fight his best and then you criticize him for doing just that. That coupled with the obvious corruption such as Don King turned me off forever from it.

I have as question for you ducky. Are you watching Porter/Thurman?

What a fight. Can't believe I am watching it for free!!

Yeah I watched the fight. I thought Porter should have got a little more credit for what he did. He had Thurman pinned on the ropes for long periods and Thurman only landed three or four big shots in those rounds. It wasn't a bad decision though it could have gone either way or even been a draw.

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 1

Don't think I've ever asked any questions in here so ill try a few.

Try these duck:

(1) Have you ever thought about taking up boxing? If you do/did box, when did you take it up?

(2) Which boxer's story would make a great movie?

(3) Who would be in your top 5 boxers of all-time list?

(1) I didn't ever take up boxing but I've done a little boxing training but I don't consider it proper boxing though of course.

(2) Well they've just made one about Roberto Duran starring Robert De Niro so I'd like to see what that's like. It's out in August.

(3) That's a difficult one, I like Ali obviously, also I'm a big fan of Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran.

Why is boxing a sport???

I use to watch with my Step Father for years but then I watched Boom Boom Mancini destroy Duk Koo Kim who died three days later and that changed everything for me. I was sickened by the death but just as equally I was disgusted of how Mancini was treated after that fight. It was like he was to blame. It was obvious the Ref blew it by not stopping the fight, that is not Mancini's responsibility. He lost sponsorship's and was only known from then on as the one who killed that Korean. They train and tell a guy to fight his best and then you criticize him for doing just that. That coupled with the obvious corruption such as Don King turned me off forever from it.

Well it's a sport because a lot of people can make money from it. It's always going to be about money. If there was no money in it there'd be no boxing. And where's the money coming from? People who want to see it. So as long as there's enough people out there that want to see it then it will be a viable sport.

Why is boxing a sport???

Well it's a sport because a lot of people can make money from it. It's always going to be about money. If there was no money in it there'd be no boxing. And where's the money coming from? People who want to see it. So as long as there's enough people out there that want to see it then it will be a viable sport.

Sorry I was just joking about it being a sport. In Ali's day it was one of the greatest sporting events.

Why is boxing a sport???

Sorry I was just joking about it being a sport. In Ali's day it was one of the greatest sporting events.

Hah well I try to answer the questions as fully as possible, whatever they are!

Why is boxing a sport???

That's not a great definition of what makes a thing a sport. Based on it everything you can make money on is a sport.

Why is boxing a sport???

That's not a great definition of what makes a thing a sport. Based on it everything you can make money on is a sport.

It may not be a good definition but it's the core truth.

duck,

(1) Do you think all boxer's should wear protective headgear? If yes, why? If no, why not?

(2) An old big, burly bastard pal of mine used to say something along these lines regarding fighting female PRO boxers: "[insert a great female boxer's name here] is awesome and everything but no way would I lose to a woman. She'd get a lot of hits in on me but if she doesn't knock me out right away, there's no way I wouldn't knock her out". What would you say to that?

duck,

(1) Do you think all boxer's should wear protective headgear? If yes, why? If no, why not?

(2) An old big, burly bastard pal of mine used to say something along these lines regarding fighting female PRO boxers: "[insert a great female boxer's name here] is awesome and everything but no way would I lose to a woman. She'd get a lot of hits in on me but if she doesn't knock me out right away, there's no way I wouldn't knock her out". What would you say to that?

(1) No because they offer minimal protection, the blows still shake the brain around just the same inside the head guard. At the same time they obscure the fighter's vision making them vulnerable to blows they wouldn't see coming that they normally would. All head guards do is help prevent superficial damage like cuts and swelling (though it can still happen) which is useful for boxers who are training for a fight so there's less chance of an injury postponement. Another thing as well is that they tend to render fighters anonymous which would affect how people identify with the fighters and could hurt their popularity. Imagine Ali vs Frazier with head guards on?

(2) It depends on the fighter and depends on the guy of course, but if you've got a female boxer who is at the top of the game then she's probably sparred with men many times, pro boxing men, so it wouldn't be a shock for her fighting one, and that would be half the battle. And yes a much bigger man would probably do some damage to her that she might not recover from in time, but I'd say it's the other way round. If the big guy does't knock her out quickly she beats him down. But like I said it depends on the individuals involved. The average, normal-sized, non-combat trained guy would most likely get destroyed.

• Like 1