Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

Great lyrics, great song! I especially like the line about "value packs of ten"!

2. Piano Lessons

[Written by Steven Wilson]

I remember piano lessons

The hours in freezing rooms

Cruel ears and tiny hands

Destroying timeless tunes

She said there's too much out there

Too much already said

You'd better give up hoping

You're better off in bed

You don't need much to speak of

No class, no wit, no soul

Forget you own agenda

Get ready to be sold

I feel now like Christine Keeler

Sleepwaking in the rain

I didn't mean to lose direction

I didn't want that kind of fame

(Take your hands off my land)

Credit me with some intelligence

(if not just credit me)

I come in value packs of ten

(in five varieties)

And even though I got it all now

My only stupid dream

Is you and me together

And how it should have been

I remember piano lessons

Now everything seems clear

You waiting under streetlights

For dreams to disappear

Don't know if this has been posted yet (I'm on pg. 41).

Steven Wilson Collecting Space

(Note, it looks like Steven's doing a cameo in this video toward the end, but I could be misinformed.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESzwG_ZMDcs...-exp_r2-2r-7-HM

Edited by Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees

I've both read in articles and heard it myself, that PT's music is difficult to define. Not only are the songs on many of their albums stylistically diverse, but also the individual songs change moods, sometimes subtely, other times drastically. Steven Wilson's solo album Insurgentes is a wonderful example of this. Take for example: Significant Other and how it ends with the music box accompanied by phonograph static in the background. As I mentioned up thread, Steven is quite the producer and really has an ear for a multiplicity of sounds. Edited by Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees

QUOTE (Pags @ Sep 14 2009, 04:55 AM)
So much in the music to pick out that I didn't hear on the previous listen. It's just awesome. I'm serious when I say I have not had this kind of a feeling about a band since I had my epiphony with Rush back in 1991. The more I listen to these guys, the more I want to dive in deeper, and listen more. This is huge.

It's like Rush and Pink Floyd slammed together and out popped Porcupine Tree. Yet they don't for a minute sound like a copy band, or somone trying to rip off the sound or identity from someone else. They totally make their own mark on every song.

Excellent analysis! I agree, except that my RUSH epiphany happened the first time I heard 2112 back in the 70's!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 15 2009, 08:45 AM)
Geddy and Neil are considered upper echelon players, but I wouldn't consider Alex a virtuoso, though he's very well respected. He's prone to making the occasional mistake, but his emotional soloing and unique rhythm playing make him very special.

With PT, Richard will never be confused with Rick Wakeman, but he's a genius at creating soundscapes. Colin is an excellent bassist and has an awesome bass tone, but isn't as flashy as guys like Squire and Geddy. Steven isn't a great singer and isn't a flashy guitar player (though he's certainly more than capable at both), but he's an amazing songwriter and conveys his ideas with grit and emotion. And of course, Gavin is a monster.

You're right -- aside from Gavin, the other guys are not what most would consider virtuosos. But together, they are a machine. They are ridiculously tight, and are able to replicate their complicated songs live, and on most songs sound better than the record. When I talk about PT having great musicianship, that's what I'm referring to.

One of the things that makes PT so good is the subtlety of their combined craft. I've spent most of my life listening to "super-talent - in - your - face musicians" like RUSH, Zep, YES, Satriani, Dream Theater, Queen, Queensryche, etc.

But with PT their music, their style, their teamwork as a band is subtle. It surprises by coming at the listener from unique and unexpected directions. Their music is not necessarily demonstrative as with some bands, but it truly grabs the listeners attention. Pretty soon one finds themself going "WOW!" . . .

Another one of the things I like about Wilson is that he's not an upper octave range singer like a Tate, Lee or Anderson. I tend to gravitate towards singers that have "pipes". Wilson's vocals are fare more emotive and subtle (there's that word again) than a lot of singers who are demonstrating their talent, as opposed to communicating thoughts and emotions in their songs. The more I listen to Wilson (solo) and PT combined, the more I like them!

Nothing more annoying than a gateway time out when one is posting their thoughts with passion! GRRR!

I'll see if I can recall my thoughts:

One of the things that makes PT so fantastic is the subtlety of their craft. Back on page 50 there was a discussion about Gavin being a monster and the rest of the band being competent, but not super-musicians (contrast with RUSH, etc.). Note, my words, not the other posters, but you get the idea.

I like Wilson, not because he has great pipes (as a singer) like Tate, Dio, Lee or Anderson, but because he's so emotive and communiates emotions and concepts so well. Some singers tend to blow a listener away with just how talented they are. Other singers (or bands) sneak up on you with their total approach to music. PT is not an "in-your-face" kind of band like RUSH or so many other super-groups. But what Steven, Colin, Rich and Gavin bring to the band (both together and individually) is the subtlety of great musicianship.

One doesn't realize how good they are until they say, "WOW!" . . .

(Not exactly what I wrote before, but it get's the point across!) LOL!

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Aug 12 2010, 02:08 AM)
I am LOVING Stupid Dream. Awesome record. Getting Up The Downstair next. After that, Signify and Lightbulb Sun. I love discovering new music like this. PT are insanely good.

LS is very close stylistically to Stupid Dream, IMO.

Does anyone not really listen to PT's lyrics? I wonder if I must be an anomaly. I think the music is outstanding and don't listen much to what the words say. Actually, I am like this with most music, even Rush.

QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 12 2010, 01:33 AM)
Okay, I started on pg. 26 and am on p. 50. That's enough for one day! And I'm basically 1/2 way there and just under a year behind in my reading! LOL!

See you tomorrow!

Well you certainly have demonstrated your fanboyship to the second greatest band ever. yes.gif

SET LIST SPOILERS BELOW

per post on the PT forum:

Extended version of Even Less

Great Expectations

Kneel and Disconnect

Drawing the line

Open Car

First 1/2 of Russia on Ice

The Pills I've been Taking

Stars Die

Wedding Nails

Intermission

Time Flies

Degree of Zero Liberty

Octane Twisted

The Seance

Circle of Manias

I Drive the Hearse

Way out of here

Normal

Sleep Together

Encore

Pure Narcotic

Blackest Eyes

this was from the show without C&C in san fran.

QUOTE (Maples Oaks and Porcupine Trees @ Aug 12 2010, 10:38 AM)
Show Review: Porcupine Tree with Karnivool at The Warfield, 8/11/2010

http://spinningplatters.com/2010/08/12/sho...rfield-8112010/

I highly recommend Karnivool's CD Themata. yes.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Aug 12 2010, 09:21 AM)
SET LIST SPOILERS BELOW

set-list removed.

I really want to see this show. And I love one of those encores tremendously. It hasn't been played live in a while, eh?

QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 12 2010, 04:03 PM)
SET LIST SPOILERS BELOW

set-list removed.

I really want to see this show. And I love one of those encores tremendously. It hasn't been played live in a while, eh?

YES!!! That first encore song???? God, how I would love to hear that live.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 12 2010, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Aug 12 2010, 04:03 PM)
SET LIST SPOILERS BELOW

set-list removed.

YES!!! That first encore song???? God, how I would love to hear that live.

Its a great set list but I have to think those of us to going to the PT/C&C gigs will get a slightly different set list. If it stayed the same I would be very happy though.