Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 20 2010, 09:42 AM)
TODAY'S THE DAY!!!!!!!!

common001.gif 1022.gif common001.gif 1022.gif common001.gif 1022.gif common001.gif 1022.gif common001.gif 1022.gif common001.gif 1022.gif common001.gif 1022.gif

Psyched for ya. 653.gif

Also jealous. sad.gif

Here's the artwork for the standard edition of "Anesthetize"

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41p1oWTwvHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Blu-Ray edition is only 17 bucks on Amazon.. go check it out, if you aren't going to spring for the Special Edition I mentioned above.

Damn it. Someone had put up some sweet Coachella footage of PT and the "powers that be" have pulled it within 24hrs.

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Porcupine Tree Ltd"

I was gonna put it up last night but was so tired so I thought I'd get round to it now. Have to be so quick these days angry.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 20 2010, 05:39 PM)
I'm a needlephobic, which makes Steven Wilson/Lasse Hoile officialy evil in my eyes for that cover. Couldn't they have put a pill in a hand instead?

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

The show last night was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Patrick and I were the first in the door, and we were right in front between Steven and Colin. Without exaggerating one iota, Steven Wilson came over several times and played just inches away from me. I deserve a f***ing medal for the restraint I displayed. If I hadn't had my wits about me, there's no telling what could have happened to that poor man. I wanted to touch his feet so bad!!! biggrin.gif

I need to drink about a gallon of coffee and get my brain together. Then, I'll give ya'll a rundown of the show. smile.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 21 2010, 08:30 AM)

Patrick and I were the first in the door, and we were right in front between Steven and Colin. Without exaggerating one iota, Steven Wilson came over several times and played just inches away from me. I deserve a f***ing medal for the restraint I displayed. If I hadn't had my wits about me, there's no telling what could have happened to that poor man. I wanted to touch his feet so bad!!! biggrin.gif

I need to drink about a gallon of coffee and get my brain together. Then, I'll give ya'll a rundown of the show. smile.gif

Cool, Sue! I wish I didn't have to wait until late September to see them.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 21 2010, 09:30 AM)

So awesome you finally got to see them! 1022.gif

Can't wait for May 8 for Toronto show! 653.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 21 2010, 08:30 AM)

nice......glad you had a blast

*****SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!******

From what I can recall at this point (I still feel totally shredded), here is my account of last night's Porcupine Tree show at House of Blues in Dallas:

By some small miracle, Patrick and I ended up first in line to get into the venue, and we got the exact spot I was hoping we would: Front row, to the right, between where Steven Wilson and Colin Edwin would be. We waited for a little over an hour in this spot, too afraid to move even an inch and risk losing this prime location. We were mere inches away from the stage, a foot at the most. I could not believe how close we were. I snuck a few pics, so you'll be able to tell just how damn close we were. I'll get those up tonight.

At a little past eight o'clock, Big Elf took the stage. I've heard of this band through TRF, but I haven't had the chance to listen to their music. Quite impressive! Old school prog, with plenty of heavy guitar, screetching keyboard solos, the ol' melotron, and a virtual sea of skintight bell bottoms. Despite some technical difficulties, they were really good.

As the stage crew started moving Big Elf's equipment, I figured Porcupine Tree's stuff would be set up back away from the front of the stage. WRONG! It was perfect. I felt sorry for the poor slobs who chose to stand where they set up Steven's keyboard, but only for a minute. tongue.gif When PT came on stage, my heart skipped a beat. Holy crap. They were right frikkin' there, in front of my eyes!!!!! It was one of the most surreal moments I can remember.

The band started right in with Occam's Razor and Blind House, after which Steven said hello to the crowd and introduced the rest of The Incident, which was 50 incredibly intense minutes of musical perfection. The sound wasn't as great as I would have hoped, but I think that was due to us being so close to the stage. During almost every guitar solo, Steven came over directly in front of me and played. I'm talking right the hell in front of me, making eye contact and everything! I could literally have reached out, grabbed him by a leg, and drug him away. laugh.gif My poor heart was having a rough time with the experience.

There was a ten minute intermission after The Incident set, and Patrick needed to visit the boys' room. By the time he got back to the concert area, no one would let him get back up to the front where I was!!!!!! I was so pissed. More than that, I was worried about Patch. He texted me that some drunk had threatened to kick his ass if he tried to push through. I got a security guard to radio someone in the back to help him out, but by then the drunk had gotten out of hand and security had their hands full with the situation. I told him that I would head back there, but he said no, that he would be ok. So, poor Patrick stood in the back, not being able to see the stage for the whole second half of the show. The worst part is that this was my birthday present to him. I feel horrible for that. sad.gif

The second half of the show consisted of the following (I think... laugh.gif ), but not necessarily in this exact order:

Start of Something Beautiful

Lazarus

Way Out of Here

Russia on Ice

Bonnie the Cat

Normal

Encore:

The Sound of Muzac

Trains

As I mentioned, the sound from where we were standing was not great. But, we had the best view of the whole band with the exception of John Wesley. I swear I could smell pot the whole time. I have no idea how anyone could have gotten away with that. Security was pretty tight. PT played immaculately and seemed to be having fun. The visuals by Lasse Hoile were awesome and added even more to the whole experience. Patrick and I wanted to wait at the exit for the band so we could try to get signatures and/or pics, but we were so exhausted that we decided to head home. Overall, one of the best nights of my life. Spending it with my son seeing our favorite band is indescribable. It meant so much to me to be able to share it with him. smile.gif

Edited by sullysue

^^ And that is exactly why I dont bother investing to stand right up front...with a few bears down, i generally need a few stops smile.gif..

But that is still unfortunate that it happened. On the other hand, glad to hear you had such a good time.

QUOTE (tintedweed @ Apr 21 2010, 01:44 PM)
^^ And that is exactly why I dont bother investing to stand right up front...with a few bears down, i generally need a few stops smile.gif..

But that is still unfortunate that it happened. On the other hand, glad to hear you had such a good time.

Well, they don't offer bears at House of Blues. laugh.gif But, the Red Bull Patrick had during the first set went right through him. I held out until the very end. It weren't easy. wacko.gif

I forgot to put Anesthetize on the set list. It was only the second half of it, but incredible nonetheless.

Nice review, SS! Shame about the toilet break though. I'm still suprised they're playing The Incident all the way through in standing venues when they made a fuss over it when they played in the UK in October. By a lucky mistake we went down the venue at 1pm and got told 'It's first come, first serve. So here are 4 front row tickets!' which eliminated any toilet break problems!

But glad you had a good time.

QUOTE (Handle With Kid Gloves @ Apr 22 2010, 12:06 AM)
I've never heard anything by PT, what would you suggest for somebody new?

edit: came across Pure Narcotic on youtube, love it. Downloaded the discog now. I'll give it a listen tomorrow

My suggestion would be to start with Stupid Dream and work forward in their catalog. (Maybe even start at Signify, the disc prior to SD.) If you really get into those, go back to the discs prior to Signify, where Wilson focused more on techno and atmospheric music. Before Stupid Dream, Porcupine Tree was more of a one-man-act with Wilson at the helm. He would bring in other musicians to contribute to those earlier CD's. But, PT wasn't fully a band in the proper sense until after Signify. You'll notice a distinct progression through different phases as you move through their catalog. Have fun discovering their music. I'm sure you'll love them! smile.gif