Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (rhyv @ Jan 8 2009, 11:32 AM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jan 7 2009, 10:02 PM)
QUOTE (rhyv @ Jan 5 2009, 04:08 PM)
I heard PT's music some weeks ago. The first song I heard was 'Arriving somewhere but not here'. I didn't know the band before and loved the song since the first minutes.

ohmy.gif Rhyv!

That is my favorite song by them! wub.gif

I hope you get into them some more and enjoy them! They are a wonderful band yes.gif smile.gif

I listened to a lot songs and enjoyed Even Less, Piano Lessons, Halo, Mute, Baby Dream in Cellophane. They're really great and I'm more into their music. biggrin.gif

I agree with you Phil, wonderful band. I wish to see their concert someday. wink.gif

Ahhh. Another one sees the light! biggrin.gif

Rhyv, PT is by far my favorite band next to Rush. Stupid Dream is a great CD. Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing... the new stuff too. It's all amazing. Try to get one of their DVDs. Steven Wilson looks like a guy who would work in Half Price Books. But, damn! He's talented. The whole band is outstanding. Every time I listen to their stuff, I hear something new that I hadn't noticed before. I'm SO glad to hear you've discovered them. 653.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 10 2009, 01:21 AM)
QUOTE (rhyv @ Jan 8 2009, 11:32 AM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jan 7 2009, 10:02 PM)
QUOTE (rhyv @ Jan 5 2009, 04:08 PM)
I heard PT's music some weeks ago. The first song I heard was 'Arriving somewhere but not here'. I didn't know the band before and loved the song since the first minutes.

ohmy.gif Rhyv!

That is my favorite song by them! wub.gif

I hope you get into them some more and enjoy them! They are a wonderful band yes.gif smile.gif

I listened to a lot songs and enjoyed Even Less, Piano Lessons, Halo, Mute, Baby Dream in Cellophane. They're really great and I'm more into their music. biggrin.gif

I agree with you Phil, wonderful band. I wish to see their concert someday. wink.gif

Ahhh. Another one sees the light! biggrin.gif

Rhyv, PT is by far my favorite band next to Rush. Stupid Dream is a great CD. Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing... the new stuff too. It's all amazing. Try to get one of their DVDs. Steven Wilson looks like a guy who would work in Half Price Books. But, damn! He's talented. The whole band is outstanding. Every time I listen to their stuff, I hear something new that I hadn't noticed before. I'm SO glad to hear you've discovered them. 653.gif

I'm listening to their songs on You Tube. I found their older and most recent stuff there. wink.gif

As soon as possible I'll buy albums and the DVD. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm also glad I discovered them. biggrin.gif They rock!

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jan 10 2009, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 9 2009, 10:21 PM)
Steven Wilson looks like a guy who would work in Half Price Books. But, damn! He's talented.

So true! laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

He seems to be serious.

But I like his look actually. Nothing extraordinary though.

QUOTE (rhyv @ Jan 10 2009, 09:33 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jan 10 2009, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 9 2009, 10:21 PM)
Steven Wilson looks like a guy who would work in Half Price Books. But, damn! He's talented.

So true! laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

He seems to be serious.

But I like his look actually. Nothing extraordinary though.

Well, actually, since I have somewhat of a geek fetish, I think he's hot. laugh.gif

Coincidentally, I took my kids to Guitar Center today and saw that Gavin Harrison is on the cover of this month's Modern Drummer. Of course, I bought it. I forgot he was playing for King Crimson. It's a good article and has an awesome breakdown of his kit. (There's also a really good article on Gene Krupa.)

i found the setlist for the upcoming Fear Of A Blank Planet DVD!!!!

i dont know if anyone here has seen this before, but ive been searching for it for a while....

here it is!

Fear of a Blank Planet

My Ashes

Anesthetize

Sentimental

Way out of Here

Sleep Together

-short break-

Normal

Stars Die

Open Car

What Happens Now

Wedding Nails

Dark Matter

Half Light

Sever

Blackest Eyes

Sleep of No Dreaming

Halo

AWESOME set, if you ask me.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jan 18 2009, 10:56 AM)

i dont know if anyone here has seen this before, but ive been searching for it for a while....

here it is!

Fear of a Blank Planet
My Ashes
Anesthetize
Sentimental
Way out of Here
Sleep Together

-short break-

Normal
Stars Die
Open Car
What Happens Now
Wedding Nails
Dark Matter
Half Light
Sever
Blackest Eyes

Sleep of No Dreaming
Halo

Was that the setlist for one of the shows? Because I know they filmed 2 nights, and the setlist was diffrent each night..........

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 18 2009, 08:00 PM)

here it is!

Fear of a Blank Planet
My Ashes
Anesthetize
Sentimental
Way out of Here
Sleep Together

-short break-

Normal
Stars Die
Open Car
What Happens Now
Wedding Nails
Dark Matter
Half Light
Sever
Blackest Eyes

Sleep of No Dreaming
Halo

Was that the setlist for one of the shows? Because I know they filmed 2 nights, and the setlist was diffrent each night..........

I agree it's a good setlist. I really want to watch this DVD. smile.gif

just looking at steve wilson annoys me to no end . really . good band but he needs a slap

QUOTE (rhyv @ Jan 18 2009, 06:46 PM)

here it is!

Fear of a Blank Planet
My Ashes
Anesthetize
Sentimental
Way out of Here
Sleep Together

-short break-

Normal
Stars Die
Open Car
What Happens Now
Wedding Nails
Dark Matter
Half Light
Sever
Blackest Eyes

Sleep of No Dreaming
Halo

im pretty sure this was for the FIRST night they filmed.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jan 18 2009, 07:28 PM)
QUOTE (rhyv @ Jan 18 2009, 06:46 PM)

here it is!

Fear of a Blank Planet
My Ashes
Anesthetize
Sentimental
Way out of Here
Sleep Together

-short break-

Normal
Stars Die
Open Car
What Happens Now
Wedding Nails
Dark Matter
Half Light
Sever
Blackest Eyes

Sleep of No Dreaming
Halo

im pretty sure this was for the FIRST night they filmed.

I'd imagine the DVD setlist will be a mix of the setlist of the two nights.

ANother bit of news on the PT front...... this is about a week old, but there is some news on the live album.....

QUOTE (PT.com)
02-04-2009
For those that have so far signed up for the new Residents of a Blank Planet ticketing club, many thanks! The live CD that comes as part of the subscription was originally planned to be sent out in Jan/Feb, but things have progressed a little slower than anticipated due to work on the next PT studio album. However, the live album is now in the process of being mixed and artwork designed, and we hope it will be ready to be sent out in March. More news soon...

The live album it seems to be a part of subscribing to the PT ticket service.....

Hopfully we will see some type of large release.

From the PT MySpace Blog:

13 Feb 09 Friday

Harmony Korine video director's cut

The full length director's cut of Lasse Hoile's amazing video for Steven Wilson's "Harmony Korine" (the first single from the forthcoming "Insurgentes" album) is now available to view on you tube in high definition.

You can order the limited 7 inch single version of "Harmony Korine" here, and the 2 disc version of the album "Insurgentes" can be pre-ordered here (includes a link to an instant mp3 download of the album).
order here

good to hear. For me Insurgentes is much better than the last four PT albums. None of them have the edge or experimenting that this does. I especially love how he managed to find places for all of his styles of music in there, especially the krautrock and guitar drones. 1022.gif

QUOTE (vaportrail @ Feb 23 2009, 06:35 PM)
good to hear. For me Insurgentes is much better than the last four PT albums. None of them have the edge or experimenting that this does. I especially love how he managed to find places for all of his styles of music in there, especially the krautrock and guitar drones. 1022.gif

WOW! Talk about divergent views. I've heard the Wilson release four times now and I think I mightt be really disappointed. Not sure yet, but I think so. The compositions are really sparse and 'lacking' of the subtle shadings and nuances which have made me a Wilsonite. Maybe it's because I have the PT and Blackfield models in my head and the new release is not matching up with that stuff. It's also really mellow in comparison. I'll give it two more spins before casting my vote though.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this release. Clearly, the man seems to be returning to his earlies PT roots here....before things got so cluttered. But, I like clutter. That's why my favourite PT titles happen to be the most recent ones.

Tell me if I'm off base here, but doesn't the title track sound like something that was popular on radio, maybe a few years back or so? Sounds like some whack-asz Radiohead or Coldplay melody. And, I'm sad to draw the comparsion, because SW is too good to ever compare him to either of those two whack-asz outfits.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:26 PM)
Tell me if I'm off base here, but doesn't the title track sound like something that was popular on radio, maybe a few years back or so? Sounds like some whack-asz Radiohead or Coldplay melody. And, I'm sad to draw the comparsion, because SW is too good to ever compare him to either of those two whack-asz outfits.

I wouldn't quite say that, as Steven is a huge Radiohead fan. Not so on the coldplay end though wink.gif

Have you heard any of his work outside of PT and Blackfield? Because the album has a lot of elements from his other projects (and very little from Blackfield since he writes very little of the BF music).

PT recently I'd say has become much more influenced by Gavin over the last few albums, and while I love his playing, the music doesn't have quite the same feel as the earlier albums, they feel much colder since he came on board (except for Lightbulb Sun, that album is 90% pure crap IMHO). That said I still love the last three albums.

It should be interested if what Steven says holds and the new album is much more classical sounding, and they ditch the metal sound, which would be welcoming as they've kind of done it to death now with three albums.