Wine

anagramking

I decided to start this thread because 73 and I started talking about wine in the "What are you drinking tonight?" thread.

I mentioned how much I hated a semiillon that I tried, and that it was as bad as merlot or chardonnay. He mentioned that he liked merlot okay, and that he liked cabernet sauvignons and shiraz.

For reds, I really like pinot noir (that Sideways guy was right) and chianti.

There's a Portugese wine I like called vinho verde. It can be bought cheap at Trader Joes. I like to say it's the Portugese version of Two Buck Chuck.

For sparkling wines I much prefer prosecco over champagne. There's a Spanish one called cava that's also pretty good.

What kinds of wine does everyone else here like and not like? Discuss...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooooooh!

I used to really love white wine, but I recently got really into reds...

Now, I still do like some white...

St. James Winery has a lovely Schoolhouse White, I like that pretty well.

But oh, give me some red, and I'm a very happy girl...

Pinot Noir can be quite nice.

I absolutely LOVE Beaujolais.

Merlot... we got a gift bottle from Romania, just heavenly.

There have been a few disapointments along the way, though.

Port is just too syrupy for me.

And there was one... I don't remember what it was, but it had an almost sour aftertaste.

And the last time I had White Zinfendel, I felt a little ill afterward. I haven't had any since.

Trader Joe's is a great place to get some nice wines!

Costco, is another place where you can find some really really nice wines at some decent $$.

I'm intruiged by regional differences in wine. I've gotten really fond of Chilean reds as a result, esp. the cabernets, and Australian shiraz.

Not impressed with any of the wines, white or red, coming out of South Africa the past several years but I have a feeling they'll be a lot better in the coming years.

I was in Mumbai, India recently and my hosts were very proud of the local wine, I don't recall the name - but it was awful. Smiled and sipped for the sake of diplomacy biggrin.gif

My college was right on Cayuga Lake, NY -- the second largest lake in the fingerlakes wine country. Many of the wineries had a Cayuga White variety that was sweet, grapey and similar to a reisling.

That said, I like my whites sweet and crisp, my reds oakey and robust (but not too dry).

My boyfriend's father makes fruit wine from scratch. That stuff's potent yes.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 9 2008, 07:42 AM)
Trader Joe's is a great place to get some nice wines!

Costco, is another place where you can find some really really nice wines at some decent $$.

Absolutely right. We get most of our stuff at Trader Joe's. Lately it's been the prosecco and the vinho verde. The semillon (from Washington state, fwiw) that I hated came from Costco, but I know they do have good stuff there.

Please do let us know if you run across an especially good bottle at either of these places...

Edited by anagramking

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 9 2008, 02:34 AM)
Right now my favorite wine is Simi Cabernet Sauvignon. A little pricey, but worth it. I don't know a lot about how to describe wines, but this one is smooth and really full-flavored.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Simi20Cab.jpg

I have no clue as to those decriptions they use, either. It's actually pretty funny to read the descriptions. Notes of cherry, full bodied, bold, jammy, blah blah blah. laugh.gif

The sauvignons I've tried always seemed to be a bit strong for me.

The wiki on cabernet sauvignon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabernet_Sauvignon

I love reds. Cabernet Sauvignon is good. Really good. But nothing hits it for me like Merlot. There a flavor to it that no other red wine can match.

My sister and brother-in-law make their own. They make several wines and I can't get over how GOOD they are. They gave us a bottle of Sinatra blend wine (which I believe is a mix of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot) which was outstanding.

Edited by Pags

QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 9 2008, 08:09 PM)
I love reds.  Cabernet Sauvignon is good.  Really good.  But nothing hits it for me like Merlot.  There a flavor to it that no other red wine can match.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/photo_13.jpg

"No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any f***ing Merlot!"

laugh.gif

Um, it's a hard grape to grow, as you know. Right? It's uh, it's thin-skinned, temperamental, ripens early. It's, you know, it's not a survivor like Cabernet, which can just grow anywhere and uh, thrive even when it's neglected. No, Pinot needs constant care and attention. You know? And in fact it can only grow in these really specific, little, tucked away corners of the world. And, and only the most patient and nurturing of growers can do it, really. Only somebody who really takes the time to understand Pinot's potential can then coax it into its fullest expression. Then, I mean, oh its flavors, they're just the most haunting and brilliant and thrilling and subtle and... ancient on the planet.

so i recently received a bottle of this sweet red wine.

Juliusturm

Gundersheimer Bergkloster

Rheinhessen, Germany

(obviously it's a german wine smile.gif )

it came with some wine mulling spices.

(which contain: whole cinnamon stick, dried orange peel, allspice & cloves)

your supposed to simmer the spices along with the wine, and a little water into a crock pot and simmer slowly for at least an hour (it says the longer the better).

i've never heard of this before, but the person who gave it to me says it was really good when she tried it. has anyone else tried this before?

so, i guess i'll keep ya'll posted when i do try this. i'm not one for sweet wines so much, but hey, i'll try almost anything once! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 9 2008, 09:49 PM)

Juliusturm
Rheinhessen, Germany

your supposed to simmer the spices along with the wine, and a little water into a crock pot and simmer slowly for at least an hour (it says the longer the better).

i've never heard of this before, but the person who gave it to me says it was really good when she tried it. has anyone else tried this before?

so, i guess i'll keep ya'll posted when i do try this. i'm not one for sweet wines so much, but hey, i'll try almost anything once! biggrin.gif

My wife says that mixture is called glogg. I've never tried it before.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 9 2008, 09:59 PM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 9 2008, 09:49 PM)

Juliusturm
Rheinhessen, Germany

i've never heard of this before, but the person who gave it to me says it was really good when she tried it.  has anyone else tried this before?

so, i guess i'll keep ya'll posted when i do try this.  i'm not one for sweet wines so much, but hey, i'll try almost anything once! biggrin.gif

My wife says that mixture is called glogg. I've never tried it before.

I've made it every winter since I tried in Stuttgart at Christmas, back in '85 or'86. The concoction I tried was known as "gluhwein" (speliing?). It's great stuff, easy to make, and puts cheap wine to good use.

I prepare mine in a crock pot, overnight. What you don't drink right away you can re-bottle and save for later.

Edit: found a recipe here...

http://www.christmas-baking.com/gluehwein.html

Edited by goose

I've tried mulled wine a few times.

It's okay, i suppose, but not quite my thing.

I prefer a glass poured from the bottle and sipping with a friend wink.gif

I'm surprised that none of the red drinkers have mentioned Spanish Rioja which is a wonderful full bodied taste,

I love Pinot Noir too especially over lunch.

for white I find it hard not to choose a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jan 10 2008, 11:38 AM)
Gas station wine with a screw on cap.... that's the ticket.

rofl3.gif

Annie Green Springs Apricot Splash!

just kidding... 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Milton Bridge @ Jan 10 2008, 06:23 AM)
I'm surprised that none of the red drinkers have mentioned Spanish Rioja which is a wonderful full bodied taste,

I love Pinot Noir too especially over lunch.

for white I find it hard not to choose a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.

Good call! I love Rioja, and have been lucky enough to visit the region a couple of times. My parents actually lived in Jerez, birthplace of Sherry, in Southern Spain.

Chianti has been mentioned as an italian wine, but I also enjoy Sangiovese.

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Jan 10 2008, 02:39 PM)

rofl3.gif

Back in college a cold bottle of Cella used to work pretty well with the ladies.

QUOTE (goose @ Jan 10 2008, 09:57 PM)
QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Jan 10 2008, 02:39 PM)

rofl3.gif

Back in college a cold bottle of Cella used to work pretty well with the ladies.

Reminds me of Boones Farm wine? Boones somethingorother... Total gas station quality for those 21 and under yes.gif

I'm not much of a wine guy, but one night when I was in Italy (with the Air Force on a deployment), I went to a wine bar. How come the wine in Italy taste so much better than almost anything that I have tasted here? Another thing that I learned that night is that a wine hangover is much worse than a beer hangover. Man was I a mess the next morning! 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 11 2008, 02:28 PM)
Another thing that I learned that night is that a wine hangover is much worse than a beer hangover. Man was I a mess the next morning! 062802puke_prv.gif

For me, a wine hangover is more headachy than a beer one, which leaves me more naseous feeling.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 11 2008, 02:28 PM)
I'm not much of a wine guy, but one night when I was in Italy (with the Air Force on a deployment), I went to a wine bar. How come the wine in Italy taste so much better than almost anything that I have tasted here? Another thing that I learned that night is that a wine hangover is much worse than a beer hangover. Man was I a mess the next morning! 062802puke_prv.gif

OH! that reminds me!!!

while in Chicago this summer for my birthday my friend and i went to a wine bar in town..

shit... what was the name of it man.....

it'll come to me... banghead.gif

was a great place tho! great wines.

i'll go ask my friend sheri... she'll remember the name of the place......

here's a pic of me with the owner of the place...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/family%20and%20personal%20photos/IMGP1447.jpg