DVD Commentaries

Slaine mac Roth

One of the major selling points about DVDs is when they manage to feture a cast/crew/film historian commentary. For a long time, it was something I never bothered with until listening to the cast commentary on Fellowship of the Ring and the cast commentary on Goonies - both of which I found equally as entertaining as the film itself.

My addiction has been made total when I recently got Shaun of the Dead on DVD and listened to the four different commentaries on the disc. they have got to be among the funniest things I have ever heard.

So, is anyone else here a commentary junkie?

Not much of a junkie but some are really good. I love Mel Brook's commentary on Young Frankenstein: have watched the movie with the commentary on many times.

Keira Kinghtley's commentary on the first Pirates of Carribeans is very funny, when she goes "He's UPSTAGIN'ME!!!!!" towards Depp. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

The more I adore a film the less likely I am to watch a commentary or special features such as "Making Of" and all that. I find it can totally ruin the magic... again for me only if I really love the movie. If it really took me to some magical wonderful place then the last thing I want to know is how they did it. :c] Edited by Godeater2112

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jan 7 2008, 11:47 AM)
The more I adore a film the less likely I am to watch a commentary or special features such as "Making Of" and all that. I find it can totally ruin the magic... again for me only if I really love the movie. If it really took me to some magical wonderful place then the last thing I want to know is how they did it. :c]

I completely agree. I remember being young and seeing some behind the scenes footage of Labyrinth and it actually made me sad. rofl3.gif

Unlike Godeater, I'm more likely to watch the commentary feature if I enjoyed the movie. I haven't watched any in quite awhile, but I remember enjoying the commentaries on Pi and the LOTR movies. Also, the commentary on Anchorman is hilarious. Oh, and we can't forget the Spinal Tap commentary where they remained in character laugh.gif

Good stuff.

I love the commentaries and never miss them. I think I could be classified as a commentary junkie, lol.

I always watch the film the first time with no commentary then a second time with it. I really like to hear all the stories and trivia they provide about the film and movie-making itself.

For the peeps who are not big on thecommentaries - watch Spinal Tap with the commentary on - it will change your mind biggrin.gif

Put me down as a commentary junkie, too! yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

However, John Boorman's commentary on 'Excalibur' creeped me out when I learned that the girl who plays Ygraine is his daughter. There's just something not quite right about a father filming his daughter in a sex scene.

Oh, and the commentary on the 'Hellboy' special edition is really cool because they actually show the actors as they're doing the commentary with the movie shrunk down and in a window on the bottom left of the screen. I wish that more of them would do it like that.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

I'm totally into watching the commentaries on the DVDs I buy. Are you kidding? It's perhaps the biggest selling point of the DVD format! (I'm no video/audiophile; I really can't tell much difference in quality between VHS and DVD.)

Some favorite commentaries include "Old School" (I watch with the commentary on as much or more than without!), "This is Spinal Tap," and the Weird Al film "UHF." Funny stuff!

What kills me is not the commentaries, but the "deleted scenes." I have never been impressed by them. Watching them, I totally understand why they ended up on the floor and not in the film. "Spinal Tap" was particularly painful: one of the best movies, over an hour's worth of deleted scenes on the DVD, and it's all crap. Maybe Reiner, Guest, McKean, and Shearer weren't comedic geniuses after all; maybe they just filmed 800 hours of poorly improvised footage and used the best 90 minutes.

I guess I'll have to check out a favorite movie or two with the commentary on for a change. I never really thought it out since I kind of dismissed the commentary feature entirely, but I guess there's a reason they make them and continue to make them as people apparently watch the movies with them on. Who knew? confused13.gif

Well, ok, apparently a lot of people knew. unsure.gif

Anyway, I'll give it a try - who knows, I might just become a convert! bncegrn.gif

And I agree that deleted scenes usually do suck and for the most part you're grateful those scenes never made it, but I can't help but watch them anyway...

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 7 2008, 12:39 PM)
Oh, and the commentary on the 'Hellboy' special edition is really cool because they actually show the actors as they're doing the commentary with the movie shrunk down and in a window on the bottom left of the screen. I wish that more of them would do it like that.

That is cool, I've sometimes wondered what type of situation they are in when commentating. I have been meaning to check out Hellboy ever since I saw Pan's Labyrinth, all the more reason to now.

I wouldn't say I'm a commentary junkie, more of a trivia junkie and you can learn lots of intresting things though the commentary.

I won't watch it that way unless I have already seen the movie once or twice already.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 7 2008, 10:22 AM)
One of the major selling points about DVDs is when they manage to feture a cast/crew/film historian commentary. For a long time, it was something I never bothered with until listening to the cast commentary on Fellowship of the Ring and the cast commentary on Goonies - both of which I found equally as entertaining as the film itself.

My addiction has been made total when I recently got Shaun of the Dead on DVD and listened to the four different commentaries on the disc. they have got to be among the funniest things I have ever heard.

So, is anyone else here a commentary junkie?

The only one I ever really bothered with was This is Spinal Tap, which is very funny. I'll have to check out the Shaun of the Dead comenatry though.

QUOTE (Tammeh @ Jan 7 2008, 06:28 PM)

That is cool, I've sometimes wondered what type of situation they are in when commentating.

During the "Clerks" commentary, Jason Mewes was passed-out drunk on the floor and only said things during brief moments of clarity. (He's now sober and clean of the drugs.)

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 7 2008, 08:39 PM)

The Goonies commentary is the same. what's nice about that is seeing what the actors look like now - although Cory Feldman doesn't seem to have changed.

One of the commentaries I would like to give a spin to is one of the one's on Bubba Ho-Tep where, apparently, Bruce Campbell does it as Elvis.

As for the Shaun of the Dead DVD, you've actually got four commentaries - Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright; Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Kate Ashfield, Lucy Davis and Dylan Moran; Bill Nighy and Penelope Wilton and a 'Zombie' commentary featuring some of those who played the Zombies (including John the Landlord and the Spinster in the Winchester). All of these are great to listen to, especially the one with Pegg on. In addition, there's also a trivia subtitle option which is quite interesting as well

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 8 2008, 01:01 AM)
QUOTE (Tammeh @ Jan 7 2008, 06:28 PM)

That is cool, I've sometimes wondered what type of situation they are in when commentating.

During the "Clerks" commentary, Jason Mewes was passed-out drunk on the floor and only said things during brief moments of clarity. (He's now sober and clean of the drugs.)

I haven't listened to that version of "Clerks" commentary. But I have done the 10th anniversary Clerks commentary that they did (Mewes was clean at this point), and the cool thing about that commentary is that they had an option to watch the commentators commentate instead of watching the movie, or bring that up in a "Picture in Picture" format. Really cool

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 8 2008, 02:05 PM)
One of the commentaries I would like to give a spin to is one of the one's on Bubba Ho-Tep where, apparently, Bruce Campbell does it as Elvis.

Oh man, it's hilarious! yes.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 9 2008, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 8 2008, 02:05 PM)

Oh man, it's hilarious! yes.gif rofl3.gif

Definitely one for my list then