Noir

Sticklah

QUOTE (Sticklah @ Jan 2 2008, 08:10 PM)
Also do you guys have any Noir/Cult/Artsy film recommendations.

It's pronounced 'Nwar'.

If you're looking for a good cult film, check out 'Big Trouble In Little China'.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

I LOVE film Noir, it's my bag, babeh.

Here is the IMDB's top 50 Film Noir's of all Time:

1. 8.6 Sunset Blvd. (1950)

2. 8.5 M (1931)

3. 8.5 The Third Man (1949)

4. 8.5 Double Indemnity (1944)

5. 8.4 The Maltese Falcon (1941)

6. 8.4 Touch of Evil (1958)

7. 8.3 Strangers on a Train (1951)

8. 8.3 Ace in the Hole (1951)

9. 8.3 The Big Sleep (1946)

10. 8.3 Notorious (1946)

11. 8.3 I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932)

12. 8.2 The Killing (1956)

13. 8.2 Du rififi chez les hommes (1955)

14. 8.2 Out of the Past (1947)

15. 8.2 Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

16. 8.2 Sweet Smell of Success (1957)

17. 8.1 The Night of the Hunter (1955)

18. 8.1 The Lost Weekend (1945)

19. 8.1 White Heat (1949)

20. 8.0 Laura (1944)

21. 8.0 Key Largo (1948)

22. 8.0 Night and the City (1950)

23. 8.0 The Set-Up (1949)

24. 8.0 Scarface (1932)

25. 7.9 Nightmare Alley (1947)

26. 7.9 Body and Soul (1947)

27. 7.9 The Big Heat (1953)

28. 7.9 The Killers (1946)

29. 7.9 Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)

30. 7.9 Pickup on South Street (1953)

31. 7.9 In a Lonely Place (1950)

32. 7.9 The Roaring Twenties (1939)

33. 7.8 The Asphalt Jungle (1950)

34. 7.8 The Narrow Margin (1952)

35. 7.8 Ossessione (1943)

36. 7.8 Deadly Is the Female (1950)

37. 7.8 Scarlet Street (1945)

38. 7.8 The Woman in the Window (1944)

39. 7.8 The Lady from Shanghai (1947)

40. 7.7 The Letter (1940)

41. 7.7 This Gun for Hire (1942)

42. 7.7 The Big Clock (1948)

43. 7.7 Gilda (1946)

44. 7.7 Brute Force (1947)

45. 7.7 Thieves' Highway (1949)

46. 7.7 Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950)

47. 7.6 Mildred Pierce (1945)

48. 7.6 Murder, My Sweet (1944)

49. 7.6 The Naked City (1948)

50. 7.6 Kiss of Death (1947)

I have 10 of them on the list, including the top 7, I'm trying to get them all.

I have a few not on the list:

Crime Wave (1954)

Act of Violence (1948)

Decoy (1946)

Tension (1950)

Mystery Street (1950 starring Ricardo Montalban - one of his first roles)

Side Street (1950)

The Killers (1946 excellent Burt Lancaster and Ava Gardner)

The Big Steal (1949 with Robert Mitchum an "noir staple")

Where Danger Lives (1950 another Robert Mitchum and also Maureen O'Sullivan)

I have more but those are the ones I have "notes" on (so far). I print out the pages from the imdb and keep them in a binder.

They are all great! The Noir section of the imdb is a great place to research the movies.

I don't know why I'm so drawn to these movies, but I just love 'em. I like to see how "the times" looked, you know the cars, houses, style of dress. Generally they all have a narrator and all the guys wear suits, ties and hats, hehe. The women are for the most part "hard." The studios of the time had their big budget films on the go so these "B" movies (at the time) were allowed to push some boundaries somewhat, they weren't paid that much attention to by the studio heads and came under the radar of the censors a lot of the time. I love to see the actors when they were first starting out, Robert Conrad (remember "Cannon?") was a staple in them.

Check out "Touch of Evil" a great Orson Welles flick - his favourite one I believe. He directed and stars in it and Charlton Heston is a hoot with a spanish accent.

Has anyone here seen 1931 "M" that is a film ahead of it's time. It's a very chilling story of a child killer and the neighbourhood turns vigil anti to "get" the guy and they hold him up to their own brand of justice.

All the above list are great movies, you can't go wrong with any one of them.

QUOTE (Tammeh @ Jan 2 2008, 08:36 PM)

Has anyone here seen 1931 "M"  that is a film ahead of it's time.  It's a very chilling story of a child killer and the neighbourhood turns vigil anti to "get" the guy and they hold him up to their own brand of justice.

Excellent movie! yes.gif One of Fritz Lang's best movies; perhaps even his very best.

Peter Lorre was perfect for his part.

If people want to check it out you can watch it on-line here (the movie is in public domain so don't fret over "copyright issues")

http://www.moviesfoundonline.com/m.php

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

For an interesting "modern take" on film noir check out an excellent movie called Brick. It has all the stylings (plot, dialogue, characterization, etc) of classic film noir only it is set in a modern high school and suburbia. Movie was made in 2006 I believe.

It stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt (who plays the alien teenager on TV show 3rd Rock from the Sun). Also the girl who plays Claire on Lost (can't recall her name) is in this.

Highly recommended

I love the genre! Good to see there are fans here at TRF.

I watch IFC quite a bit and they have lots of these flicks on, especially foreign ones. Turner classics and AMC play some of them too. These are movies that I can watch over and over again.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 2 2008, 10:58 PM)

Has anyone here seen 1931 "M"  that is a film ahead of it's time.  It's a very chilling story of a child killer and the neighbourhood turns vigil anti to "get" the guy and they hold him up to their own brand of justice.

Excellent movie! yes.gif One of Fritz Lang's best movies; perhaps even his very best.

If people want to check it out you can watch it on-line here (the movie is in public domain so don't fret over "copyright issues")

Peter Lorre is creepy in any role; he's perfect for a child killer part.

Is "M" the movie where the killer sings/hums "Peter and the Wolf" before attacking a child? I heard about that.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 3 2008, 10:34 AM)

Is "M" the movie where the killer sings/hums "Peter and the Wolf" before attacking a child?  I heard about that.

*Spoiler*

Actually it was a classical piece called "In the Hall of the Mountain King" and he whistled it....."Peter and the Wolf" was not written til the late '30's I think, 6 or 7 years after M came out. It was how the killer was identified in the movie.

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

Even though it's sci-fi, 'Blade Runner' is very much a noir film at it's heart.

Thanks for the website link Test smile.gif

I just finished watching 'M'..I'd never seen it before

*AC/DC Live in '73 is on that site too* new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 3 2008, 03:04 PM)

Even more recently, "L.A. Confidential" (and all of James Ellroy's books) was also a homage to noir films.

Despite being Sci-Fi, "Blade Runner" may be an even better example of the genre than "L.A. Confidential," in that it has the hard-boiled detective's voiceover narration, like the classic noir films did. (Critics of "Blade Runner" hated the narration, though.)

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 3 2008, 04:36 PM)

Even more recently, "L.A. Confidential" (and all of James Ellroy's books) was also a homage to noir films.

Despite being Sci-Fi, "Blade Runner" may be an even better example of the genre than "L.A. Confidential," in that it has the hard-boiled detective's voiceover narration, like the classic noir films did. (Critics of "Blade Runner" hated the narration, though.)

I hate the narration, too. It dumbs down the movie. I'm so glad the new version doesn't have it.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 3 2008, 05:33 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 3 2008, 04:36 PM)

I hate the narration, too. It dumbs down the movie. I'm so glad the new version doesn't have it.

Actually, upon some reflection, perhaps 'dumbs down' isn't quite right. I mean, the narration does to some extent explain things that didn't need explaining (IMO), but even worse than that it takes you out of the movie, and that's what I don't like about it.

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Jan 3 2008, 03:27 PM)

Lots of cool stuff on that site yes.gif

lots of crappy movies too laugh.gif (For example the infamous Star Wars Christmas Special from '78 wacko.gif laugh.gif )

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 4 2008, 03:04 AM)

lots of crappy movies too laugh.gif (For example the infamous Star Wars Christmas Special from '78 wacko.gif laugh.gif )

Wasn't it Thanksgiving? I remember watching that when it came out. Chewbacca was going "home" to his native planet for the holidays. Chewie and Han (played by someone other than Harrison Ford) made a brief appearance at the end, with the first two hours showing nothing but Chewie's Wookie family.

How the heck did we get from noir to that?? laugh.gif Sorry, back to the main subject of the thread...

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 4 2008, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 4 2008, 03:04 AM)

Wasn't it Thanksgiving? I remember watching that when it came out. Chewbacca was going "home" to his native planet for the holidays. Chewie and Han (played by someone other than Harrison Ford) made a brief appearance at the end, with the first two hours showing nothing but Chewie's Wookie family.

How the heck did we get from noir to that?? laugh.gif Sorry, back to the main subject of the thread...

Thanksgiving, Christmas, whatever...It's called The Star Wars Holiday Special....all I know is it was BADDDD tongue.gif laugh.gif

The commercials were the funny parts as well...diferent times