The Vinyl thread

steelcaressed

Led Zeppelin - Presence

This is probably my favorite Zep album for a variety of reasons. One of the primary reasons I love it is it's complex, progressive drive. They were inventive here, actually at the height of their creativity, at least in my eyes.

Achilles Last Stand - Wow!. There's bass in the mix, and it's fast and furious. (Steve Harris definitely listened to this.) It has a distinct gallop that sets a crazy pace throughout. Page is right on, from the fade intro to the solo, he hits every note w/ intent and passion. Plant is still singing top notch here also. If anyone is low in the mix, it's Bonham, until one of the two up-tempo march sections (that Metallica obviously heard as well.) Stereo is used to good effect as well; at one point, Plant's voice alternates sides in two-second segments back and forth. Overdubs are used there, but they don't ruin a fantastic song. Even the end, which is soft, is sweet. Very similar to the beginning, yet distinctly it's own, Page is by himself again, sounding happily mournful.

For Your Life - For all that it's in 4/4. the band will fool you into thinking it's much more complex. Sweet bass is still an underlying presence, while Page proves his instinctive abilities. Plant has a slight tendency to oversing, but the band is playing so perfectly that one hardly notices. A key change increases the jazzy feeling of this one, but it's really a progressive nut encased in an almost radio-friendly rock tune. The solo comes after the key change, but somehow avoids an awkwardness that sharp keys can create. Then, back to the original pattern (and key.) Bonham is certainly larger in the mix here, and sets it up w/ some odd beats all the way through. This is where you can really see how instinctive he was as a player.

Royal Orleans - This one is definitely jazz, w/ heavy progressive leanings (and I mean heavy in two senses.) Great stops and starts by everyone in the band, but not necessarily at the same time. That sure makes for some interesting fare. Another key change right before the solo, and back to the original key afterwards, but w/ a different underlying pattern. The change is subtle, and segues perfectly into the original structure. (It slightly reminds me of the few quality parts in RTB.) They come off great here, selling me on it even though jazz is a genre I don't really care for.

Nobody's fault but Mine - This one features Page right up front again, fading in just like he does in Achilles. That's where the similarities end. (Unfortunately Plant sings in unison w/ him for a portion of it, to mediocre effect.) They recover nicely, due in part to dropping him in the mix and raising Page. More crazy stops and starts and odd drumming patterns from Bonham. The harmonica in the break starts of w/ a cacophonous screech, but quickly moves to some sweet, melodic harp playing. It fits perfectly. Jones is still there, but too low in the mix in my opinion. This one features some more of that jazzy riffage from Page, but the hard stops and starts are so damn good, it really just sounds hard and heavy. The second solo, which is actually a guitar, is a little obligatory and uninspired, but still competent. Again, Plant w/ the groaning. I could really do w/o that. When he's singing, it's awesome. When he's just making noise, he grates. Very good, hard ending, complete w/ actual singing from Plant.

Candy Store Rock - More jazz, and probably my least favorite. More moaning "yeah" stuff from Plant sounds a little forced. Full of "accidentals" as my son terms them, the key and tempo are hard to nail. There is still a 4/4 underlying however. (It seems that they are trying to hide the common time w/ a lot of bells and whistles on this album, but maybe I'm just imagining it.) To his credit, Bonham is very good at it. The bass is still too low in the mix on this one, but if you can isolate it, Jones is delivering some quality work here.

Hot on for Nowhere - Damn Plant and his la la's. While it's a jazzy riff from Page, it's still edgy enough to deliver for my heavy inclinations. Time signatures alternate on this one between 4/4 and 5/4, which does spice up the mix. The chorus is sweet (more moaning from Plant) and melodic, w/ no discernable lyrics, except the occassional "hey baby." Then it's straight into a signature solo from Plant. Right on and fitting. The end is a little on the dragged out side, but Page nails it so damn well that he carries the day.

Tea for One - The only blues number on the album. With this one, they show they still remember their roots. Page is mournful and howling, and even rhythmic at times, which is necessary because Bonham takes it easy on this one. Unfortunately, Jones is a little too laid back as well. Page covers it though. Plant's sadness is believable here. There's some real heavy chordage underlying, perfect for setting tone. (Too many overdubs, but Page is playing so damn well it's hard to criticize.) The solo is pounding and inventive, never visiting the same place twice, even though it lasts a full two minutes. The level gets raised and dropped at unlikely spots, and delivers some stunning surprises, yet it holds together like a completed NY Times crossword puzzle. This is some of their old magic right here! The solo is not hurried at all. (Almost makes me misty.) Plant is where he belongs here; guitar drives this song. Heavy and menacing and despairing all at the same time.

I'm not sure why this one never made it into my CD collection, given my appreciation for it. It does have some of the flavor of HotH and PG, but avoids the over-production of the latter. That just makes it all that much better.

I'll have to remember to thank my wife again for this turntable (maybe by cooking her a dinner.) cool.gif

Edited by steelcaressed

Paul Simon - Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes

This features an extended remix of the aforementioned song. It's a three song EP.

Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes - This remix starts w/ an exclusive little drum jam. The main body starts the same as the Graceland version. Prominently featured is a rumbling bass that is just all over the place. The break after the first stanza has the horns very high in the mix, and the guitar is a bit more than an afterthought. While he's singing though, the guitar is so far below the bass that it's almost unnoticeable. There's a xylophone solo on this one. Then it segues into the Ta-na-na -na chant, and back into the brass break. His singing is great on this one. (Art who?) The exit features an extended chant which is actually the intro on the Graceland version, if memory serves. "She's a rich girl..." A' capella ending is just a perfect touch. Simon fans take note: This one belongs in your collection.

All Around the World or The Myth of Fingerprints - (Try that title at your next game of charades.) This definitely has that 80's thang goin' on. The drumbeat is very typical, and actually the sound is poorly engineered. The guitar sounds like something from a Tom Petty song, but again it's very low in the mix. There are some great harmonies on this one. It's almost over before it begins, and that's the end.

I'm not sure this deserves the classification as EP. It's more like a long single w/ a regular B side. It's still good, up-tempo and harmless where it lacks introspection. That is a necessary thing when we're talking rock-n-roll. It's put together very well, and very clean (except for the drums previously mentioned.)

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Feb 20 2008, 10:04 PM)
Paul Simon - Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes

This features an extended remix of the aforementioned song. It's a three song EP.

Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes - This remix starts w/ an exclusive little drum jam. The main body starts the same as the Graceland version. Prominently featured is a rumbling bass that is just all over the place. The break after the first stanza has the horns very high in the mix, and the guitar is a bit more than an afterthought. While he's singing though, the guitar is so far below the bass that it's almost unnoticeable. There's a xylophone solo on this one. Then it segues into the Ta-na-na -na chant, and back into the brass break. His singing is great on this one. (Art who?) The exit features an extended chant which is actually the intro on the Graceland version, if memory serves. "She's a rich girl..." A' capella ending is just a perfect touch. Simon fans take note: This one belongs in your collection.

All Around the World or The Myth of Fingerprints - (Try that title at your next game of charades.) This definitely has that 80's thang goin' on. The drumbeat is very typical, and actually the sound is poorly engineered. The guitar sounds like something from a Tom Petty song, but again it's very low in the mix. There are some great harmonies on this one. It's almost over before it begins, and that's the end.

I'm not sure this deserves the classification as EP. It's more like a long single w/ a regular B side. It's still good, up-tempo and harmless where it lacks introspection. That is a necessary thing when we're talking rock-n-roll. It's put together very well, and very clean (except for the drums previously mentioned.)

You know, I need to give my copy of Graceland some play. This weekend, I think. Thanks for the inspiration. trink39.gif

Fellow vinyl listeners! Please educate me. I've had my current turntable probably around 5 years now (maybe a year longer). I have not used it consistently every day in all of those years, especially during the extended months at a time when I was at college and brought my first cheapo Pyle record player along. However, I do use it for at least one record most days when I am home. Here's the part that may be bad: I have never replaced the needle or the cartridge. I am still using the ones that came out of the box. It has only occurred to me in the past couple years that I may need to replace them in the near future, but I've always pushed it off. I am not experiencing any noticeable distortion or unusual hissing or skipping with what I have now, but having had the same cartridge and needle for so long I can't help but wonder if some amount of noticeable deterioration has developed and I'm just too used to it to hear it.

How soon would you recommend I replace the needle or the cartridge? ASAP? Within a few months? Within a few more years?

Fellow vinyl listeners! Please educate me. I've had my current turntable probably around 5 years now (maybe a year longer). I have not used it consistently every day in all of those years, especially during the extended months at a time when I was at college and brought my first cheapo Pyle record player along. However, I do use it for at least one record most days when I am home. Here's the part that may be bad: I have never replaced the needle or the cartridge. I am still using the ones that came out of the box. It has only occurred to me in the past couple years that I may need to replace them in the near future, but I've always pushed it off. I am not experiencing any noticeable distortion or unusual hissing or skipping with what I have now, but having had the same cartridge and needle for so long I can't help but wonder if some amount of noticeable deterioration has developed and I'm just too used to it to hear it.

How soon would you recommend I replace the needle or the cartridge? ASAP? Within a few months? Within a few more years?

at least a few months, see how your needle and cartridge still works

If you're not experiencing noticable distortion, skipping or hissing then how do you know that you're listening to vinyl lol.

If you're not experiencing noticable distortion, skipping or hissing then how do you know that you're listening to vinyl lol.

I should rephrase. I'm not experiencing above average distortion, skipping, or hissing, lol. There is the normal amount that comes with the format (and used records).

I should rephrase. I'm not experiencing above average distortion, skipping, or hissing, lol. There is the normal amount that comes with the format (and used records).

good thing Indiana Jones doesn't use vinyl, or else he would think that there's a snake or two in his house :laughing guy:
  • Like 1