Owen Wilson Tries to Commit Suicide...

Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 29 2007, 11:01 AM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 28 2007, 10:58 PM)
The whole "slashing your wrists" and "taking pills" methods are ways where one is trying to get attention rather than truely killing themself.  Because if someone really wanted to kill themself, they would pick a more definitive way to do it.

Nothing like an expert opinion, is there?

Well I'm not an expert, but I do have a Masters in Psychology and I was a counselor for troubled teens a few years back. So I know a little about what I'm saying.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 29 2007, 09:35 PM)
The whole "slashing your wrists" and "taking pills" methods are ways where one is trying to get attention rather than truely killing themself.  Because if someone really wanted to kill themself, they would pick a more definitive way to do it.

Well I'm not an expert, but I do have a Masters in Psychology and I was a counselor for troubled teens a few years back. So I know a little about what I'm saying.

I agree that you know a LITTLE about what you are saying. But as someone who has no formal education in psychology but who does have a lot more real-life experience with suicide, and with people who are suicidal, than she wishes she did, I disagree with pretty much everything else you've said.

ALL suicide attempts should be taken seriously. With your attitude, I hope...nay, I pray that you are no longer counseling troubled teens.

Edited by GeddysMullet

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 29 2007, 10:49 PM)

I agree that you know a LITTLE about what you are saying. But as someone who has no formal education in psychology but who does have a lot more real-life experience with suicide, and with people who are suicidal, than she wishes she did, I disagree with pretty much everything else you've said.

ALL suicide attempts should be taken seriously. With your attitude, I hope...nay, I pray that you are no longer counseling troubled teens.

My original quote had nothing to do with taking a suicide attempt serious or not serious. It had to do with distinctions between why some take a more definitive approach to suicide than others.

I'm not saying Owen Wilson was just trying to get attention or it was just a cry for help. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. Only therapy can uncover that. But I am saying that usually people who do try those methods are trying to get attention or are crying for help, they don't want to end it all. That's positive because then it gives them a chance to live. It does not diminish the seriousness of what they did, but as a therapist or in crisis intervention you do have to ask, "Did this person REALLY want to kill themself?"

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 29 2007, 09:33 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Aug 29 2007, 12:07 AM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 29 2007, 04:58 AM)

really? sarcasm.gif

That's another misconception

all unsuccesful suicide attempts are just a cry for help wacko.gif

Maybe not so much to seek attention for all, but mostly as a cry for help just because it is very hard to kill yourself via wrist slashing or taking pills. Someone whose in a state of despair to the point of killing themselves does research to find out the most definitive method before they actually do it. They plan it (eg, write a letter). They don't just wake up one day and say, "Ok, I'm going to take this gun and put a bullet through my head." Those who are really serious about killing themselves don't choose those two methods. THey shoot themselves, or put a hose from the tailpipe of their car into the window in a garage, or jump off a building. They don't choose a method where there is a possibility of survival.

Some more suicide tidbits: Women have more unsuccessful suicide attempts than men. This is for the same reasons above. Woman usually choose the methods that "don't do the job" where men choose methods that "do the job."

WHAT?!

Someone who is in a state so desperate that they want to kill themselves is #1. Not thinking clearly at all #2. Not thinking about the most FINAL way to end it, they are just looking for an end to their suffering

I really don't want to start a debate here. I am just saying my piece. It's something a little bit too close to home for me. All I am saying is you might not know everything about this subject.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 29 2007, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 29 2007, 10:49 PM)

My original quote had nothing to do with taking a suicide attempt serious or not serious. It had to do with distinctions between why some take a more definitive approach to suicide than others.

I'm not saying Owen Wilson was just trying to get attention or it was just a cry for help. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. Only therapy can uncover that. But I am saying that usually people who do try those methods are trying to get attention or are crying for help, they don't want to end it all. That's positive because then it gives them a chance to live. It does not diminish the seriousness of what they did, but as a therapist or in crisis intervention you do have to ask, "Did this person REALLY want to kill themself?"

"It does not diminish the seriousness of what they did, but as a therapist or in crisis intervention you do have to ask, "Did this person REALLY want to kill themself?""

Okay, I'll agree with this statement, but I still disagree with pretty much everything else you've said.

Rather than saying I pray that you no longer counsel troubled teens, perhaps I should say that I hope you are able to express yourself with a lot more compassion and empathy in those situations than you have shown in this thread.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 28 2007, 11:58 PM)
The whole "slashing your wrists" and "taking pills" methods are ways where one is trying to get attention rather than truely killing themself. Because if someone really wanted to kill themself, they would pick a more definitive way to do it.

There are people who have commited suicide by whatever means that were in a position of reaching for a phone or some other way to get help. Most people that do kill themselves really want to but at the last second, realize they don't want to. It's not the type of attention getter you are thinking. People are crying out for help but can't figure the way to do it. I like Owen. He's got a lot a good movies he's done. I can't imagine why he'd want to kill himself but he's in a safe place now & hopefully will be able to work things out....As for cutting wrists, there's really only one way to do it. This one is one I know from a personal experience. sad.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 30 2007, 03:33 AM)

really? sarcasm.gif

Maybe not so much to seek attention for all, but mostly as a cry for help just because it is very hard to kill yourself via wrist slashing or taking pills. Someone whose in a state of despair to the point of killing themselves does research to find out the most definitive method before they actually do it. They plan it (eg, write a letter). They don't just wake up one day and say, "Ok, I'm going to take this gun and put a bullet through my head." Those who are really serious about killing themselves don't choose those two methods. THey shoot themselves, or put a hose from the tailpipe of their car into the window in a garage, or jump off a building. They don't choose a method where there is a possibility of survival.

Some more suicide tidbits: Women have more unsuccessful suicide attempts than men. This is for the same reasons above. Woman usually choose the methods that "don't do the job" where men choose methods that "do the job."

wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

boy, are you misinformed.

we don't plan it.

when you are in the depths of depression, it is the only thing that makes sense.

I tell you what. I've taken buckets of pills among other things, and twice I should have been dead. I didn't write a letter any of the times I tried suicide.

Does that mean I was seeking attention?

And I didn't research ways to kill myself

I knew what the pills did. They f*cked with your heart.

This is the info you get when you pick up the prescription. Is that research?

You hear/read throughout the course of your life how people commited suicide. Is that research?

I tried wrists, hose in the tailpipe etc.

How come I'm still here? Cause I was crying for help? eyesre4.gif

man, you don't know nothing unless you've been in a seriously depressed person's head.

This is all I'm going to contribute to this thread and subject.

Have a nice day

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 30 2007, 03:33 AM)

really? sarcasm.gif

mmm wacko.gif

Acts such as these are very complex from individual to individual as I have said, the more likely reasoning is that harming like this makes sense of certain feelings, making them 'tangible' and 'solid' or 'numbing' feelings.... guess what, these are usually not very nice feelings?!

In your reasoning you yourself have outlined, more of an extreme self harming action(psychosis?), than a suicide attempt - a cry for help, not for the majority.. no?

The trouble with some psychiatrists and psychologists is that they are too preocupied with empowering and furthering themselves, than empowering and learning from someone who has mental health issues.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 29 2007, 10:33 PM)

really? sarcasm.gif

research it?

the ones that DO research it are the ones that

ARE wantin help/reachin out!

its not like ur buyin a car or sumthin/ seein whats the best for u...

its whats in ur head & the state ur in @ that time. U make do with

whats around u at that time.

doesnt matter who u are what kinda life u have.

people show others what they want to see, when u say...ohh he didnt even seem depressed...

its easy to fake smiles & such & live in a state of darkness.

easier then u think..

i hope he breaks free of his darkness

hes a good guy & id like him to hang around a lil longer smile.gif

he cracked me up in Zoolander as Hansel yes.gif

"So I'm repelling down Mount Vesuvius when suddenly I slip, and I start to fall. Just falling, ahh ahhhh, I'll never forget the terror. When suddenly I realize "Holy shit, Hansel, haven't you been smoking Peyote for six straight days, and couldn't some of this maybe be in your head?"

And it was. I was totally fine. I've never even been to Mount Vesuvius.

laugh.gif

Edited by DonnaWanna

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Aug 30 2007, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 29 2007, 10:33 PM)

really? sarcasm.gif

research it?

its whats in ur head & the state ur in @ that time. U make do with

whats around u at that time.

doesnt matter who u are what kinda life u have.

people show others what they want to see, when u say...ohh he didnt even seem depressed...

its easy to fake smiles & such & live in a state of darkness.

easier then u think..

i hope he breaks free of his darkness

hes a good guy & id like him to hang around a lil longer smile.gif

he cracked me up in Zoolander as Hansel yes.gif

"So I'm repelling down Mount Vesuvius when suddenly I slip, and I start to fall. Just falling, ahh ahhhh, I'll never forget the terror. When suddenly I realize "Holy shit, Hansel, haven't you been smoking Peyote for six straight days, and couldn't some of this maybe be in your head?"

And it was. I was totally fine. I've never even been to Mount Vesuvius.

laugh.gif

goodpost.gif

hug2.gif

really? sarcasm.gif

Im sorry, but i buy into the missconception then, cause i believe anyone of reasonable intelligence could achieve the task if they really wanted to. If i ever wanted to kill myself, im pretty sure id be successfull in doing so, but hey, that just one guys opinion. Me myself, when ive had moments of despair and misery in my life, (which have been often) times when crazy thoughts have entered my mind, i thank God that deep down inside, im just a coward who doesnt have the balls to really take my own thoughts seriously. God willing, ill always remain that coward.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 30 2007, 01:32 PM)

really? sarcasm.gif

Im sorry, but i buy into the missconception then, cause i believe anyone of reasonable intelligence could achieve the task if they really wanted to. If i ever wanted to kill myself, im pretty sure id be successfull in doing so, but hey, that just one guys opinion. Me myself, when ive had moments of despair and misery in my life, (which have been often) times when crazy thoughts have entered my mind, i thank God that deep down inside, im just a coward who doesnt have the balls to really take my own thoughts seriously. God willing, ill always remain that coward.

I guess we all view it differently and that is what makes us individuals.

I tell you though, I was mighty disappointed it didn't work. Guess I wasn't intelligent enough or maybe I didn't think it through properly but then again my mind was a real mess back then.

I'm glad you're still with us tick wub.gif

All the responses show us that there is no "typical" way someone would commit suicide. I have known 3 people that have successfully killed themselves. Two were friends & it wasn't "planned" & there were no notes, things got bad for them & they hung themselves.

The other person was my brother, who made very elaborate plans and left notes all over his room. I went through his pc after the fact & he had done research on the most effective way to carry out his plan. He left warning notes for my Mom on all the doors to the house so she wouldn't go into the house and be harmed by any carbon-monoxide left. He left a note on the sealed bathroom door as well so the police would know where he was & who he was and what they would find inside so they wouldn't get injured either.

I thought about suicide when I was 12. My dad had a gun. I went to his to get it and had it in my hand and thought I could just pull the trigger & all this would end. There was nothing particularly wrong at the time nor any specific events that I can recall now. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I am glad today I decided not to do it, but sometimes it just seems like the perfect answer.

I share all this just to point out that there is no "regular or normal" way people carry out their intentions. You never know what is someones head, or just how their thought process is flowing. Any and all mentions of suicide should be taken very seriously, no matter how "normal or rational" the persons past behavior has been.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 30 2007, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Aug 30 2007, 03:41 AM)
How come I'm still here? Cause I was crying for help?  eyesre4.gif

No, because you really didn't want to die.

oh for f*cks sakes eyesre4.gif

please don't address me anymore

you have no frickin idea the state of my mind then or now

it seems you want to press your point and not be wrong

don't do it with me

thanks

*the thread will probably get locked if you want to continue telling me what is in my head

and that would be a damn shame http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/noangry.gif

Edited by Mrs. Huck Rogers

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Aug 30 2007, 04:36 AM)
research it?
its whats in ur head & the state ur in @ that time.

It's more of a mental research than a physical one. It's not a spur of the moment thing. It takes time to reach a state of despair, but all that time the victim is planning his/her out.

Again, all I was saying on the two methods originally mentioned, I have to believe those people don't really want to die. That's all.

It seems that many here are speaking from personal experience. I am glad to see you all are still with us. But you have to ask yourselves, why are you still with us?

My answer would be is because you had the will to live. That to me is awesome and what ignites us all to get us through the days.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 30 2007, 09:49 AM)
All the responses show us that there is no "typical" way someone would commit suicide. I have known 3 people that have successfully killed themselves. Two were friends & it wasn't "planned" & there were no notes, things got bad for them & they hung themselves.

The other person was my brother, who made very elaborate plans and left notes all over his room. I went through his pc after the fact & he had done research on the most effective way to carry out his plan. He left warning notes for my Mom on all the doors to the house so she wouldn't go into the house and be harmed by any carbon-monoxide left. He left a note on the sealed bathroom door as well so the police would know where he was & who he was and what they would find inside so they wouldn't get injured either.

I thought about suicide when I was 12. My dad had a gun. I went to his to get it and had it in my hand and thought I could just pull the trigger & all this would end. There was nothing particularly wrong at the time nor any specific events that I can recall now. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I am glad today I decided not to do it, but sometimes it just seems like the perfect answer.

I share all this just to point out that there is no "regular or normal" way people carry out their intentions. You never know what is someones head, or just how their thought process is flowing. Any and all mentions of suicide should be taken very seriously, no matter how "normal or rational" the persons past behavior has been.

I am very sorry to hear about your brother.

mazyyz and tick have some valid points and also this is a touchy subject no matter what so be careful not to interpret things the wrong way or get upset or take anyones comments here too personally. It's not an illness like gingivitis - every situation is different, unique and of course terribly emotional.

Unfortunately I've had experience with people I know attempting unsuccessfully and also successfully and I agree that cutting yourself is a very poor way of doing it and a low low chance of 'success'. The fact of the matter is that cutting your wrists is a very painful way to go about it and takes a pile of nerve and time. I would say lots of people who attempt this way are not just crying out for help but actually want to die - it's just they can't finish it.

If someone thinks about suicide long enough and is really serious about ending it there are far more definitive ways to go about it like the ways mentioned already, jumping etcetera where the decision is made in a split second. I think this is all part of mazyyz's point.

Edited by Godeater2112

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 30 2007, 10:25 AM)
Ah, so when my best friend killed himself with pills in 1998, he didn't really mean to die and was just so incompetent that he failed at staying alive?

Lots of people who kill themselves in ways such as that mean it of course...

It's more the opposite scenario where people really are crying out for help (which is also an unimaginably terrible thing for anyone to go through I'm sure) avoid more definitive methods like guns, jumping etc.

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Aug 30 2007, 09:05 AM)

really? sarcasm.gif

I tell you though, I was mighty disappointed it didn't work. Guess I wasn't intelligent enough or maybe I didn't think it through properly but then again my mind was a real mess back then.

Im glad your still here also Mrs. Huck. rose.gif In some warped way, its comforting to realize that were all f*cked up to some degree due to our past, but for the most part we keep on swingin. I grew up in absolute disfunction beyond comprehension, and i will acknowledge, im a bit f*cked up because of it, (you should meet the rest of my family)so im never the least bit shocked to hear of others have had similar lives. All any of us can do is try to deal with our scars and open wounds, and try to make our futures better then our past. To those reading this that cant relate to what im saying, that in itself is a reason to rejoice and be gratefull your not one of the masses.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 30 2007, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Aug 30 2007, 09:05 AM)

really? sarcasm.gif

Im glad your still here also Mrs. Huck. rose.gif In some warped way, its comforting to realize that were all f*cked up to some degree due to our past, but for the most part we keep on swingin. I grew up in absolute disfunction beyond comprehension, and i will acknowledge, im a bit f*cked up because of it, (you should meet the rest of my family)so im never the least bit shocked to hear of others have had similar lives. All any of us can do is try to deal with our scars and open wounds, and try to make our futures better then our past. To those reading this that cant relate to what im saying, that in itself is a reason to rejoice and be gratefull your not one of the masses.

hug2.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Aug 30 2007, 10:20 AM)
mazyyz and tick have some valid points and also this is a touchy subject no matter what so be careful not to interpret things the wrong way or get upset or take anyones comments here too personally. It's not an illness like gingivitis - every situation is different, unique and of course terribly emotional.

Unfortunately I've had experience with people I know attempting unsuccessfully and also successfully and I agree that cutting yourself is a very poor way of doing it and a low low chance of 'success'. The fact of the matter is that cutting your wrists is a very painful way to go about it and takes a pile of nerve and time. I would say lots of people who attempt this way are not just crying out for help but actually want to die - it's just they can't finish it.

If someone thinks about suicide long enough and is really serious about ending it there are far more definitive ways to go about it like the ways mentioned already, jumping etcetera where the decision is made in a split second. I think this is all part of mazyyz's point.

Thank you Godeater. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 30 2007, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Aug 30 2007, 10:20 AM)
mazyyz and tick have some valid points and also this is a touchy subject no matter what so be careful not to interpret things the wrong way or get upset or take anyones comments here too personally.  It's not an illness like gingivitis - every situation is different, unique and of course terribly emotional.

Unfortunately I've had experience with people I know attempting unsuccessfully and also successfully and I agree that cutting yourself is a very poor way of doing it and a low low chance of 'success'.  The fact of the matter is that cutting your wrists is a very painful way to go about it and takes a pile of nerve and time.  I would say lots of people who attempt this way are not just crying out for help but actually want to die - it's just they can't finish it.

If someone thinks about suicide long enough and is really serious about ending it there are far more definitive ways to go about it like the ways mentioned already, jumping etcetera where the decision is made in a split second.  I think this is all part of mazyyz's point.

Thank you Godeater. biggrin.gif

Its not so black and white as you say

suicide or..... failed suicide (attention seeking)

Do you know that this harming was a suicide attempt........ have you asked the dude?

No one knows whats going on in his head, least of all himself at present, I'll wager.

There are situations where some one becomes so irrational and desperate they self harm in a major major way.

And guess what? some people jump on to the suicide attempt bandwagon....... It is not always suicide attempts!!!!!

Severe harming or self harming is usually a way of making desperate feelings 'tangible' and 'solid', primarily by cutting, extremely deep sometimes. Also there are situations where someone self harms by taking loads of pills, e.g. paracetomol every day damaging their liver.... slowly wheres the line? is that a suicide attempt.

There are many many many situations where an individual harms in this manner and it is deemed by others as a failed suicide attempt. After such times it transpires, that a serious suicide attempt was the last thought on their mind - to be succesful in suicide?!?

This is too complex an area to be over simplified, but its good to have this debate, where people can talk openly on such a sensitive subject.