Owen Wilson Tries to Commit Suicide...

Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (condemned2bfree @ Aug 30 2007, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 30 2007, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Aug 30 2007, 10:20 AM)
mazyyz and tick have some valid points and also this is a touchy subject no matter what so be careful not to interpret things the wrong way or get upset or take anyones comments here too personally.  It's not an illness like gingivitis - every situation is different, unique and of course terribly emotional.

Unfortunately I've had experience with people I know attempting unsuccessfully and also successfully and I agree that cutting yourself is a very poor way of doing it and a low low chance of 'success'.  The fact of the matter is that cutting your wrists is a very painful way to go about it and takes a pile of nerve and time.  I would say lots of people who attempt this way are not just crying out for help but actually want to die - it's just they can't finish it.

If someone thinks about suicide long enough and is really serious about ending it there are far more definitive ways to go about it like the ways mentioned already, jumping etcetera where the decision is made in a split second.  I think this is all part of mazyyz's point.

Thank you Godeater. biggrin.gif

Its not so black and white as you say

suicide or..... failed suicide (attention seeking)

Do you know that this harming was a suicide attempt........ have you asked the dude?

No one knows whats going on in his head, least of all himself at present, I'll wager.

There are situations where some one becomes so irrational and desperate they self harm in a major major way.

And guess what? some people jump on to the suicide attempt bandwagon....... It is not always suicide attempts!!!!!

Severe harming or self harming is usually a way of making desperate feelings 'tangible' and 'solid', primarily by cutting, extremely deep sometimes. Also there are situations where someone self harms by taking loads of pills, e.g. paracetomol every day damaging their liver.... slowly wheres the line? is that a suicide attempt.

There are many many many situations where an individual harms in this manner and it is deemed by others as a failed suicide attempt. After such times it transpires, that a serious suicide attempt was the last thought on their mind - to be succesful in suicide?!?

This is too complex an area to be over simplified, but its good to have this debate, where people can talk openly on such a sensitive subject.

Forget the attention seeking, forget it !!! It's been too misconstrued!

I am talking about an underlying will to live that ultimately determines whether one really wants to kill themself or not. I think tick said it earlier "If I wanted to kill myself, I guess I could probably do it." Why choose a method where there is a possibility of survivial? Or of being found alive?

Also if it's so case-by-case as everyone says then we wouldn't have the impetus to gather information, formulate studies, research, etc., and come up with some data regarding suicide, male suicide vs. female suicide and why people choose one method over the other. There are similarities among all suicide victims and those who attempt suicide.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 30 2007, 08:19 PM)
QUOTE (condemned2bfree @ Aug 30 2007, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 30 2007, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Aug 30 2007, 10:20 AM)
mazyyz and tick have some valid points and also this is a touchy subject no matter what so be careful not to interpret things the wrong way or get upset or take anyones comments here too personally.  It's not an illness like gingivitis - every situation is different, unique and of course terribly emotional.

Unfortunately I've had experience with people I know attempting unsuccessfully and also successfully and I agree that cutting yourself is a very poor way of doing it and a low low chance of 'success'.  The fact of the matter is that cutting your wrists is a very painful way to go about it and takes a pile of nerve and time.  I would say lots of people who attempt this way are not just crying out for help but actually want to die - it's just they can't finish it.

If someone thinks about suicide long enough and is really serious about ending it there are far more definitive ways to go about it like the ways mentioned already, jumping etcetera where the decision is made in a split second.  I think this is all part of mazyyz's point.

Thank you Godeater. biggrin.gif

Its not so black and white as you say

suicide or..... failed suicide (attention seeking)

Do you know that this harming was a suicide attempt........ have you asked the dude?

No one knows whats going on in his head, least of all himself at present, I'll wager.

There are situations where some one becomes so irrational and desperate they self harm in a major major way.

And guess what? some people jump on to the suicide attempt bandwagon....... It is not always suicide attempts!!!!!

Severe harming or self harming is usually a way of making desperate feelings 'tangible' and 'solid', primarily by cutting, extremely deep sometimes. Also there are situations where someone self harms by taking loads of pills, e.g. paracetomol every day damaging their liver.... slowly wheres the line? is that a suicide attempt.

There are many many many situations where an individual harms in this manner and it is deemed by others as a failed suicide attempt. After such times it transpires, that a serious suicide attempt was the last thought on their mind - to be succesful in suicide?!?

This is too complex an area to be over simplified, but its good to have this debate, where people can talk openly on such a sensitive subject.

Forget the attention seeking, forget it !!! It's been too misconstrued!

I am talking about an underlying will to live that ultimately determines whether one really wants to kill themself or not. I think tick said it earlier "If I wanted to kill myself, I guess I could probably do it." Why choose a method where there is a possibility of survivial? Or of being found alive?

Also if it's so case-by-case as everyone says then we wouldn't have the impetus to gather information, formulate studies, research, etc., and come up with some data regarding suicide, male suicide vs. female suicide and why people choose one method over the other. There are similarities among all suicide victims and those who attempt suicide.

Don't you think that some people commit suicide in a manner that gives their heirs the possibility of collecting on the insurance such as driving their car very fast into a barrier? I don't want to do this but how I leave my family behind would be a concern.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 30 2007, 08:38 PM)
Don't you think that some people commit suicide in a manner that gives their heirs the possibility of collecting on the insurance such as driving their car very fast into a barrier? I don't want to do this but how I leave my family behind would be a concern.

That's an interesting way to look at it.