Steelers fan thread.

kazzman

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With nothing to play for, Steelers show they have everything

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8059964

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- You watch the Pittsburgh Steelers shred one of the league's white-hot ballclubs, and, suddenly, it begins to dawn on you: Everyone else out there might be playing for second place.

There have been more significant victories for Pittsburgh than its 29-24 defeat of Buffalo, but there are few that were more impressive. Not only did the Steelers overcome a Buffalo team that needed one victory to make the playoffs, they did it in Ralph Wilson Stadium where, until Sunday, the Bills were 9-0 in January.

And they did it the hard way -- with their JVs.

This was not Ben Roethlisberger who authored another Steelers' victory, their 14th in a row. This was Tommy Maddox, making his first start since September. No, upon further review, it was Brian St. Pierre, a no-name quarterback who was promoted to the active roster last Friday and who relieved Maddox at the end of the third quarter.

But we're just getting started, folks. Star running back Jerome Bettis didn't play, and Duce Staley was on the field for only a quarter -- which left the rushing attack to ... Willie Parker? No, I hadn't heard of him, either, but the fourth-string running back led everyone with 102 yards -- in one half no less.

There was no Plaxico Burress. Hines Ward was gone by halftime. The starting defensive line was on the sidelines after one quarter, and half the starting defense was replaced midway through the second. At one point in the second half virtually every starter was missing except for cornerback Chad Scott, and he was making his first appearance in 10 games only because Deshea Townsend was hurt.

I think you can see where this is going. Pittsburgh played much of its season finale with its second, third and -- in the case of Parker -- fourth-stringers, yet it won. And it won decisively, trailing only once when Nate Clements returned an interception for a third-quarter touchdown.

That's impressive. But figure in Buffalo's situation -- a club on a six-game tear desperate for a victory to make the playoffs -- and the Steelers' victory becomes enormous. It tells me no team is deeper, more confident or better than Pittsburgh.

"This game says a lot about our team," said Ward. "We really didn't have that much to play for, and they had everything to play for. We started with our starters, and our backups came in, and there was no dropoff. And that's been the case all year."

That depth is only another reason to embrace this club going into the playoffs. They're a league-best 15-1, the best record in franchise history; they have the home-field advantage through the playoffs; and they beat the No. 2 seed in the AFC, New England, and the NFC's top dog, Philadelphia, in successive weeks. Plus, they're rolling, not having lost since the second weekend of the year.

"This is probably the best team I've been on," said Ward. "We don't really care who gets the accolades or success. We just believe in one another."

They should, but critics will point to the Steelers' recent playoff performances at home and find hope in a disappointing record. Under Bill Cowher, the Steelers have been the AFC's top-seeded team three times, failing each time to make the Super Bowl. They've also been to the AFC championship game four times and are 1-3 at home -- losing their past two, including 24-17 to New England three years ago.

But there's something different about this edition, and it's not Roethlisberger or Bettis or the league's No.1-ranked defense. It's everything, including can't-miss kicker Jeff Reed, and Sunday's finale was proof.

"Hey, losses can happen any Sunday," said Ward, "and, yeah, it happened before (in the playoffs) so we have to make sure it doesn't happen again. But when we beat Philadelphia and New England people said we're going to have a letdown, and we haven't. People said we can't win with a rookie quarterback; well, he's undefeated. People said you can't win without Plaxico Burress in the lineup, and we've done that."

People said they wouldn't win Sunday, either, and I stood at the front of the line. But the Steelers stymied Buffalo from the beginning, recovering a fumbled punt the first time the Bills touched the ball. It was one of two fumble recoveries for Pittsburgh and they led to 10 points -- including an 18-yard game-clinching touchdown by reserve linebacker James Harrison.

"We're going to play first-class football, regardless of the situation," said Parker, one of only three backs to puncture Buffalo for 100 yards rushing this year. "We knew we were in the playoffs, but we didn't approach this game like it didn't really matter. We just came out and played our game."

Precisely. And that's what makes the Steelers so intimidating. There are no blips on the screen for these guys. All they do is win, no matter who plays for them or who lines up against them.

"We only know one way to play," said linebacker Joey Porter, "and that's to play with everything you have, no matter what the circumstances are. It doesn't matter what group is in there. We proved that all year."

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 3 2005, 11:24 PM)
You know, each different wise crack you make, makes you look dumber each time...

Easy killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Presto45 @ Jan 9 2005, 02:59 PM)
Kazzman JEts will win against your Steelers

I feel like going back every week for the last 14 weeks that you said that the steelers will get beat and quote all your posts ahahahahahah

QUOTE (Presto45 @ Dec 8 2004, 11:13 PM)
This time ill be right LOL.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

The rest of your great predictions are on another forum. laugh.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jan 14 2005, 09:13 PM)
So do i... I wouldn't want our resident left winger hanging from the shower curtains Sunday morning no.gif

If Bush's re-election didn't do it, The Steeler's losing surely will!!!http://www.websmileys.com/sm/violent/sterb243.gif pokey.gif (Kidding Indy)

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 15 2005, 12:51 AM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jan 14 2005, 09:13 PM)
So do i... I wouldn't want our resident left winger hanging from the shower curtains Sunday morning  no.gif

If Bush's re-election didn't do it, The Steeler's losing surely will!!!http://www.websmileys.com/sm/violent/sterb243.gif pokey.gif (Kidding Indy)

lol.

I'm a huge fan but not that big of a faN.

Yeah, I was kind of depressed after the election. The steelers losing would suck but it won't affect people for a long time to come like the election results will.

Anyway, GOOO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 16 2005, 02:28 AM)
Steelers squeaked by in this one!!! The Jets had it won twice but failed to capitalize. The Steelers need to not make the same mistakes made in this game against the Jets if they plan to advance from here.

I'm sure Cowher realizes this too. I have a feeling that the Steelers are going to play better in the next game, they seem to play better against better opponents. They beat NE and the Eagles pretty easy yet struggled against Dallas and the Giants. I think they underestimate some teams. But the important part is they seem to come out on the winning side in those close games. If they make the same mistakes next week then they probably wont win against Pats or Colts. But I think that they will play better in the Championship game, they BETTER!

Here we go Steelers, here we go.

I got a feeling, that Pittsburghs going to the super bowl!!!!I got a feeling, that Pittsburghs going to the super bowl!!!!

Edited by Indica

QUOTE (Indica @ Jan 16 2005, 12:15 AM)
Steelers squeaked by in this one!!! The Jets had it won twice but failed to capitalize. The Steelers need to not make the same mistakes made in this game against the Jets if they plan to advance from here.

I'm sure Cowher realizes this too. I have a feeling that the Steelers are going to play better in the next game, they seem to play better against better oponents. They beat NE and the Eagles pretty easy yet struggled against Dallas and the Giants. I think they underestimate some teams. But the important part is they seem to come out on the winning side in those close games. If they make the same mistakes next week then they probably wont win against Pats or Colts. But I think that they will play better in the Championship game, they BETTER!

I got a feeling, that Pittsburghs going to the super bowl!!!!I got a feeling, that Pittsburghs going to the super bowl!!!!

I would be surprised if the Steelers don't get into the Super Bowl, but if they perform like they did yesterday against the Colts or Patriots, I don't think they'll be getting in. I think that the game wasn't a blowout because of the week off. Some say it's a luxury, some say it's a curse. Either way, they should prepare for the next game and play their hearts out like they always do.

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 16 2005, 03:18 AM)

I'm sure Cowher realizes this too. I have a feeling that the Steelers are going to play better in the next game, they seem to play better against better oponents. They beat NE and the Eagles pretty easy yet struggled against Dallas and the Giants. I think they underestimate some teams. But the important part is they seem to come out on the winning side in those close games. If they make the same mistakes next week then they probably wont win against Pats or Colts. But I think that they will play better in the Championship game, they BETTER!

I would be surprised if the Steelers don't get into the Super Bowl, but if they perform like they did yesterday against the Colts or Patriots, I don't think they'll be getting in. I think that the game wasn't a blowout because of the week off. Some say it's a luxury, some say it's a curse. Either way, they should prepare for the next game and play their hearts out like they always do.

If the special teams wouldn't have giving up that touchdown then those 2 missed field goals wouldn't have mattered anyway. If the Steelers defense plays like they did against the jets and only give up 3 points all game, then I think that they should win. I don't see the special teams and defense scoring 2 touchdowns next week. At least I hope not.

Big ben is who needs to step up, and special teams. The Defense looked like the best team in the league.

QUOTE (Indica @ Jan 16 2005, 12:22 AM)
QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 16 2005, 03:18 AM)

If the special teams wouldn't have giving up that touchdown then those 2 missed field goals wouldn't have mattered anyway. If the Steelers defense plays like they did against the jets and only give up 3 points all game, then I think that they should win. I don't see the special teams and defense scoring 2 touchdowns next week. At least I hope not.

Big ben is who needs to step up, and special teams. The Defense looked like the best team in the league.

Proving that special teams is very important, something my Rams can't seem to get.