Steelers fan thread.

kazzman

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Feb 7 2006, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 7 2006, 11:26 AM)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/hemispheres2005/nextone2/nyr105_people_letterman_roethlisber.jpg

Big Ben getting a shave by Letterman last night...

I would not let that idiot Letterman get that close to me with a sharp object. no.gif

drumnut , i dont think electric shavers are all that sharp.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this sums it up.

Line Of Scrimmage: Did Refs Rob The Seahawks? Get Real

Wednesday February 08, 2006 6:10pm

(Sports Network) - If the last few days have taught me anything, it is that a good many people log on to read this column. And while that's good to know, the fact that I have come to this realization mostly through angry, epithet-laced e-mails from irate Seahawks fans is not so terrific.

On Sunday night I sat in the Ford Field media room and wrote a piece commenting on a number of items about both the Super Bowl and the festivities surrounding it. One of the small notes in that piece was headed "Official Recognition," and I went on to state that referee Bill Leavy and his crew did a credible job of calling Super Bowl XL. Now I can admit that I penned that section without having seen dozens-upon-dozens of replays of a small number of calls that have been focused upon with much scrutiny over the last few days.

Now that I've seen the replays, I can tell you what my new-found perspective on the officiating has shown me: I wasn't wrong.

I've been told that most reasonable, thinking people disagree with me on this issue, that Leavy and company were an abomination, and that the Steelers are undeserving Super Bowl champs. I've also been accused of being a Pittsburgh fan (I'm from Baltimore, for God's sake, so that one's a joke), and that I'm an apologist for the league and the refs (can't think of a good reason why I would be).

Most of this rage about the officiating has festered in the wake of ESPN's coverage of the Super Bowl, which was preceded by the telecast of the game by its big brother, ABC. The fact that the worldwide leader just might be fanning the flames of the controversy to boost its ratings and mask the fact that Super Bowl XL was mostly unwatchable is not going to be a topic you'll hear discussed much on Around the Horn. The fact that guys like Sean Salisbury and Michael Irvin get paid to make outrageous statements and rile up the masses, and that ABC analyst John Madden may have been in part lamenting the poor quality of the contest when he made his in-game criticisms, aren't subjects that are going to be taken into much account either.

And since my paycheck doesn't come in an envelope sent from midtown Manhattan or Bristol, CT, please allow me to spin it back in the other direction for you.

The Steelers deserved to win this game.

Unless, that is, I missed something on Willie Parker's 75-yard run to daylight, the 3rd-and-28 conversion from Ben Roethlisberger to Hines Ward, or the nifty reverse-and-pass from Antwaan Randle El to Hines Ward. Those three plays were WAY bigger than any of the bad calls or perceived bad calls that went against the Seahawks, and you would have to be wearing colored glasses with the rosiest of tints to argue otherwise. Tough to pin those three on the men in striped shirts, huh?

And let's talk about the offending plays, shall we?

-Ben Roethlisberger's one-yard touchdown sneak - did he get in, or didn't he? Big Ben told David Letterman he didn't, which helps play into the grassy- knoll, multiple-gunman theory. Never mind that Roethlisberger himself wasn't in as good a position as the side judge to make the call (he was being crushed by a hit at the time, remember?), but let's say for the sake of argument that he didn't get in. What do you think the probability is that the Steelers would have scored on fourth- down from the one-inch line? For the No. 3-ranked rushing team in the NFL, with two Pro Bowl offensive linemen, a 280-pound running back, and a 6-foot-5, 240-pound quarterback? I'm going to say about 99 percent.

-The pass interference call on Darrell Jackson in the end zone. If you don't think Jackson pushed off, then as the British would say, you're mental. I was sitting in the far end zone, and from that distance, in real time, it was obvious that Jackson pushed off. His arms were fully extended and made contact with safety Chris Hope, which allowed Jackson a comfortable pocket in which to catch the ball. That's the definition of offensive pass interference in any book.

-The 15-yard low block penalty on Matt Hasselbeck in the fourth quarter. Maybe the officials would take this one back given the chance, and maybe they wouldn't, but there is absolutely some context needed when discussing this play. First of all, picking up that flag would not have changed the fact that Hasselbeck threw a brutal interception in a very bad spot, as his team was down 14-10 with momentum heading deep into Pittsburgh territory. Three plays later, with a chance to get the football back, the Seahawks failed to stop the Steelers on 3rd-and-2, and one play after that, Randle El hit a wide-open Ward on the razzle-dazzle touchdown. You would have to be pretty delusional to argue that the officials had a direct impact on that TD.

-The preceding fourth-quarter hold on Sean Locklear, which negated an 18-yard pass from Matt Hasselbeck to Jerramy Stevens that would have placed Seattle at the Pittsburgh 2. Madden didn't see a hold on this one, and from my perspective it was a borderline call, but the holding call is an extraordinarily difficult one to make under most circumstances. Most officials will tell you that you can find a holding call on just about every snap if you look hard enough. But again, here's some context. That call came on 1st-down, and put the Seahawks in a hardly insurmountable 1st-and-20 situation from the Steeler 29 early in the fourth. The officials did not sack Hasselbeck on the following play, they didn't force the Seahawks to run the football with Shaun Alexander on 2nd-and-25 (he gained seven yards), and they didn't make Hasselbeck throw the errant pass to Jackson down the field when an incompletion would have meant a safe 44-yard field goal try for Josh Brown.

You can pine over a handful of officiating decisions all you want, but all that wailing and gnashing of teeth won't change the fact that the Seahawks did not play well enough to win the football game. I suppose it is much easier for fans to point the finger at the zebras rather than worrying about two missed field goals, three Jerramy Stevens drops, the Hasselbeck interception, poor game management at the end of the first half, poor clock management near the end of the second, the invisibility of Seattle's No. 1 receiver over the game's final 53 minutes, weak secondary play on the 3rd-and-28, weaker secondary play on the Ward touchdown catch, and/or poor tacking on the Parker touchdown run.

Refusing to admit that all of the above were key culprits in the Seattle loss, and pinning the outcome of Super Bowl XL on a handful of debatable calls is nothing but a smokescreen for the media that had a personal stake in the game, suddenly-outspoken Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren, and those that were rooting either for the Seahawks or against the Steelers on Sunday.

And pricking pins in their referee voodoo dolls is so much easier for the stakeholders than acknowledging that the game stunk, the Seahawks' execution was terrible, and that Seattle simply played a C-minus game when a solid B probably would have meant a win.

Unfortunately, all too many in our let's-find-someone-to-blame society will forever chastise Bill Leavy and the Super Bowl XL officials, and at least a few will continue spitting their sour grapes at me for not lowering myself to do the same.

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 7 2006, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Feb 7 2006, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 7 2006, 11:26 AM)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/hemispheres2005/nextone2/nyr105_people_letterman_roethlisber.jpg

Big Ben getting a shave by Letterman last night...

I would not let that idiot Letterman get that close to me with a sharp object. no.gif

drumnut , i dont think electric shavers are all that sharp.

Neither is David Letterman icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (Batman @ Feb 11 2006, 09:07 AM)
Your Team WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Team are The Champs!!!!!!!!!

I won't give it a second thought of course people are going to say it wasn't a good game.

Don't sweat it Enjoy it . biggrin.gif

I just love hearing all the bickering from Seattle fans who can't seem to admit that their team lost. Hell, I almost got banned from another message board for telling a Seahawks fan to quit crying over the outcome of the game (I'm on my last strike there as it is since I keep owning the admins there in ways to run a message board). What amuses me is hearing all the excuses they come up with, but not one of them is that Seattle didn't capitalize on the Steelers mistakes, which is exactly what happened, contrary to popular belief.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/tiemehereintime/Steelers/STFU1.gif

Besides the fact that the ref made the right call: http://www.ideaspot.net/refs/score.gif

People should stop whining that the refs are deciding the outcome of games and claiming the games are fixed. This just again proves that instant replay works and is good for the game.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Feb 11 2006, 12:36 PM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/tiemehereintime/Steelers/STFU1.gif
Besides the fact that the ref made the right call: http://www.ideaspot.net/refs/score.gif

People should stop whining that the refs are deciding the outcome of games and claiming the games are fixed. This just again proves that instant replay works and is good for the game.

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

If your a Steelers fan, and I'm not. I'm guessing your between the age of 35 and 45. Why you say? The Steelers left a very impressionable mark upon many young males and females in the 70s' with, lets face it. dominating teams.

next season, 10-6 if their lucky

Regarding the Super Bowl and NOT being a fan of either team

Of course the officiating was not responsible for either the Steeler victory or Seahawk defeat.The officiating was however responsible for taking what should have been a great and exciting football game and turning it into a piece of crap for the football fan who just wanted to see a good game.And it's an injustice to the Steeler football team to have to answer more questions about the officiating of the game than the football game they worked their tails off to win.The crowning achievement of any NFL team,and to the impartial observer,Ho-Humm...

Bump.

Time for a new season and for the Steelers to defend the title.

My predictions: 12-4 1st in AFC North. Lose in AFC Championship.

Oh and I'm going to the Steelers/Vikings game tomorrow biggrin.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Aug 18 2006, 11:44 PM)
Bump.

Time for a new season and for the Steelers to defend the title.

My predictions: 12-4 1st in AFC North. Lose in AFC Championship.

Oh and I'm going to the Steelers/Vikings game tomorrow biggrin.gif

Congrats again on last season. Hope you have a good one this year too. Until you meet with SD anyway. Oh... that will be where they lose the AFC championship. laugh.gif yeah... even i doubt that one. laugh.gif

have fun at the game Matt. yes.gif

I'm a huge STEELER fan. Born there, still have most my family there. Great to see others on here.

Only time I have a hard time knowing who to root for is when they are playing against one of the teams that have players I coached on.

So this year, Chargers and Bills I will follow too.

Last season was SO INCREDIBLE.

Hoping for a classic Steeler REPEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By-T or & the Jazz Bass

I PMed you. Could you please check it? Thanks!

Well i'm hoping the Steelers are gonna get whupped big time this year, they've had a good run the last couple of years, the 15-1 record, the Superbowl, but now it's time it was over...time for someone else to take over...

Move over Steelers it's time to go...

The third string looked good last night, and with work, they will be tuff, and i think our special teams are gonna kick A$$ this year too, so watch out!!

QUOTE (kazzman @ Aug 20 2006, 10:10 AM)
People have been saying that since the 70's. It aint gonna happen anytime soon, so I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. tongue.gif

Well it was the first time they've won it since the 70s golden days...

wink.gif

whatever treeduck.

They were there in 95.

They have been knocking on the door for years.

Cowher is an excellent coach, who finds a way to re-load almost every year despite losing players AND OTHER COACHES.

The Steeler organization is the ran with integrity and class.

Not very many scandals coming out of there.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Aug 20 2006, 09:04 PM)
whatever treeduck.
They were there in 95.
They have been knocking on the door for years.
Cowher is an excellent coach, who finds a way to re-load almost every year despite losing players AND OTHER COACHES.
The Steeler organization is the ran with integrity and class.
Not very many scandals coming out of there.

Yeah they've had a good run, so I'm hoping some other teams will come through this time, make it more interesting...

wink.gif

well that is fair, but I don't think your gonna get many people to see things that way on HERE.

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Aug 23 2006, 04:52 PM)
well that is fair, but I don't think your gonna get many people to see things that way on HERE.

Oh I know Gracie but I'm deliberately messin wit ya ya see...

laugh.gif trink39.gif trink38.gif

Hello Gracie btw bekloppt.gif