_*

lerxt1990

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, no more posting about what number Bonds just hit. It's bad enough already. If you want to defend his unconscionable actions, by all means, that's what this thread is about, a place to debate that.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Aug 11 2007, 10:27 PM)
Please, no more posting about what number Bonds just hit. It's bad enough already. If you want to defend his unconscionable actions, by all means, that's what this thread is about, a place to debate that.

I guess I'm just sayin' that even if he was a major roid user, he sure can hit home runs without them since he obviously isn't on them now.

Ok, yes he may be on HGH since it can't be tested for, but if that's the case, you have to assume that a LOT of players are on it.

I guess maybe it just seems somewaht unfair that Bonds was singled out, even though I understand it because he's broken so many MAJOR records.

Maybe instead of

Bonds*

It would be more fair to say:

MLB 1970's - 2000's*

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 12 2007, 07:40 AM)
Please, no more posting about what number Bonds just hit.  It's bad enough already.  If you want to defend his unconscionable actions, by all means, that's what this thread is about, a place to debate that.

I guess I'm just sayin' that even if he was a major roid user, he sure can hit home runs without them since he obviously isn't on them now.

Ok, yes he may be on HGH since it can't be tested for, but if that's the case, you have to assume that a LOT of players are on it.

I guess maybe it just seems somewaht unfair that Bonds was singled out, even though I understand it because he's broken so many MAJOR records.

Maybe instead of

Bonds*

MLB 1970's - 2000's*

Bonds was using THG, which at the time was a steroid that was undetectable by urine tests. He also tested positive for amphetamines last year. Maybe he's not using them anymore, either. They don't test very much during the offseason, and that's when a lot of users do their regimen. This is a flaw in the system. Whether or not Bonds is using now, it's clear that the damage has already been done.

I'm sure that there are plenty of ball players on HGH now, but you seem to be arguing that two wrongs make a right. When one shamelessly cheats and prolongs a career just to break a record, it deserves more scorn than usual. It's not like he's staying around so he can hopefully win a ring.

I'm more willing to put a blanket asterisk over the 90s and 2000s, but not yet on the 70s and 80s. I have heard players say that they first heard of steroid use in the mid 70s, but I seriously doubt it was that widespread back then. As I've said before, Dykstra was probably the first obvious example to me.

Please, no more posting about what number Bonds just hit.  It's bad enough already.  If you want to defend his unconscionable actions, by all means, that's what this thread is about, a place to debate that.

Maybe instead of

Bonds*

MLB 1970's - 2000's*

And NFL*, Cycling*, NHL*, Olympics*, ...

For me, the bottom line is that Barry is a jerk ( or comes across as one almost every time he speaks or acts in public), which makes it easy to go after him. But to address him personally as having done something outlandish in terms of cheating doesn't connect with me.

We all have known about substance abuse & performance enhancers for a long time, and chosen to ignore to a degree. I never had any illusions about the issue, and just except it for what it is.

Hate Barry all you want, but he's accomplished some amazing sh*t as an individual player.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Aug 12 2007, 11:18 AM)

Maybe instead of

Bonds*

MLB 1970's - 2000's*

Bonds was using THG, which at the time was a steroid that was undetectable by urine tests. He also tested positive for amphetamines last year. Maybe he's not using them anymore, either. They don't test very much during the offseason, and that's when a lot of users do their regimen. This is a flaw in the system. Whether or not Bonds is using now, it's clear that the damage has already been done.

I'm sure that there are plenty of ball players on HGH now, but you seem to be arguing that two wrongs make a right. When one shamelessly cheats and prolongs a career just to break a record, it deserves more scorn than usual. It's not like he's staying around so he can hopefully win a ring.

I'm more willing to put a blanket asterisk over the 90s and 2000s, but not yet on the 70s and 80s.

What about cocaine & speed? These don't count as performance enhancers? Plenty of guys were using these pre-80's.

(I'm sure this has been brought up, but I didn't want to surf 6 pages of thread)

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 12 2007, 11:32 AM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Aug 12 2007, 11:18 AM)

Maybe instead of

Bonds*

MLB 1970's - 2000's*

I'm more willing to put a blanket asterisk over the 90s and 2000s, but not yet on the 70s and 80s.

What about cocaine & speed? These don't count as performance enhancers? Plenty of guys were using these pre-80's.

(I'm sure this has been brought up, but I didn't want to surf 6 pages of thread)

Greenies do go back a long way. Bouton talks about them in Ball Four. I agree that this class of drugs is at least somewhat problematic. I'm not willing to say that they are on a par with steroids and HGH, though.

As for coke, I would venture that using hurt players more than it helped. I think Dave Parker and Dwight Gooden would have made it in on the first ballot if they never used, for example. Coke is more a recreational drug than it is a performance enhancer.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but me, but Bonds is 7 RBI's away from joining a very, very elite group of people who have both 2,000 runs and 2,000 RBI's. It's just Ruth, Aaron and soon Bonds. And he keeps knocking the ball out of the park at age 43. He may be using HGH, but he's certainly not using steroids NOW. The man is still doing extremely impressive things in my book, big * or not. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 16 2007, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 16 2007, 10:18 AM)
I'm sorry, I couldnt hear you, I had this stuck in my ear...

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e177/lerxt1990/bonds.jpg

you might want to have that looked at. yes.gif

smile.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2007, 10:18 PM)
I don't know if anyone has noticed but me, but Bonds is 7 RBI's away from joining a very, very elite group of people who have both 2,000 runs and 2,000 RBI's. It's just Ruth, Aaron and soon Bonds. And he keeps knocking the ball out of the park at age 43. He may be using HGH, but he's certainly not using steroids NOW. The man is still doing extremely impressive things in my book, big * or not. yes.gif

Oh really? Geez I didnt know that. Oh, but I do know this...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 25 2007, 07:36 PM)

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e177/lerxt1990/bonds.jpg [/quote]

laugh.gif

I refuse to dismiss his accomplishments entirely. I think if anything Bonds is more a product of this era then anything close to a sole perpetrator. Obviously because of his ridiculous numbers and records people want to tear him down more than anybody, but I don't know if he necessarily deserves that anymore than anyone else.

Regardless, as a huge fan of baseball statistics and history, I will still hold his accomplishments in high esteem, taking into consideration the asterisk as part of the overall picture.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 26 2007, 04:31 PM)

laugh.gif [/quote]
I refuse to dismiss his accomplishments entirely. I think if anything Bonds is more a product of this era then anything close to a sole perpetrator. Obviously because of his ridiculous numbers and records people want to tear him down more than anybody, but I don't know if he necessarily deserves that anymore than anyone else.

Regardless, as a huge fan of baseball statistics and history, I will still hold his accomplishments in high esteem, taking into consideration the asterisk as part of the overall picture.

If youre going to be logical and mature, you can just leave this thread .. hahahaaa.

The man is a great athlete who's tainted his accomplishments, as great they are, with the use of juicy-juice. smile.gif laugh.gif

I love it. Hahahaaaa.

=====================================

Fans for Asterisk on Bonds' No. 756 Ball

RICK FREEMAN

The Associated Press

NEW YORK - The ball Barry Bonds hit for his record-breaking 756th home run will be branded with an asterisk and sent to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Fashion designer Marc Ecko, who bought the ball in an online auction, set up a Web site for fans to vote on the ball's fate, and Wednesday announced the decision to brand it won out over the other options , sending it to Cooperstown unblemished or launching it into space.

Ecko said he believed the vote to brand the ball showed people thought "this was shrouded in a chapter of baseball history that wasn't necessarily the clearest it could be."

Ecko, whom Bonds called "an idiot" last week, had the winning bid Sept. 15 in the online auction for the ball that Bonds hit Aug. 7 to break Hank Aaron's record of 755 home runs. The final selling price was $752,467, well above most predictions that assumed Bonds' status as a lightning rod for the steroids debate in baseball would depress the value.

The asterisk suggests that Bonds' record is tainted by alleged steroid use. The slugger has denied knowingly using performance-enhancing drugs. Fans brought signs with asterisks on them to ballparks as he neared Aaron's hallowed mark.

Bonds publicist Rachael Vizcarra did not immediately respond to an e-mail sent early Wednesday seeking comment about the ball's fate.

Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland was not a fan of the decision.

"I disagree with that totally, because I don't think there should be an asterisk on it," said Leyland, Bonds' first skipper with the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Leyland later agreed with a columnist, who said he thought the Hall of Fame was disrespecting Bonds for accepting the ball with the asterisk on it.

Hall of Fame president Dale Petroskey said accepting the ball did not mean the Hall in Cooperstown, N.Y., endorses the viewpoint that Barry Bonds used drugs.

"This ball wouldn't be coming to Cooperstown if Marc hadn't bought it from the fan who caught it and then let the fans have their say," Petroskey told The Associated Press. "We're delighted to have the ball. It's a historic piece of baseball history."

Hall of Fame officials and Ecko are discussing how to affix the asterisk on the ball. It's not yet known when the ball will go on display.

The Giants announced Friday they will part with Bonds after this season, the seven-time NL MVP's 15th in San Francisco and 22nd in the majors.

Ecko, known for his pop culture pranks, said he bought the ball and arranged to let the public decide its future online as a way to hold a conversation about a classic American sport in the digital world.

"This is obviously something that struck a chord with fans," Ecko said Wednesday in a phone interview with the AP.

Bonds broke the home run record with a shot into the right-center field seats off Washington Nationals pitcher Mike Bacsik at San Francisco's AT&T Park.

Matt Murphy, a 21-year-old student and construction supervisor from New York, emerged from a scuffle holding the ball. He said he decided to sell it because he couldn't afford to pay the taxes required to keep it.

Unsealed Bonds Evidence Lists Positive Drug Tests

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) ―

A federal judge on Wednesday unsealed hundreds of pages of court documents at the heart of the government's criminal case against Barry Bonds, including positive drug tests that prosecutors linked to the home run king.

The documents also include a transcript of a taped conversation between Bonds' personal trainer and personal assistant discussing injecting the slugger, plus a list of current and former major leaguers, including Jason Giambi, who are scheduled to testify for the government at Bonds' upcoming trial.

The former San Francisco Giants is charged with lying to a grand jury when he said he never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs. His trial is scheduled for next month.

Federal prosecutors allege that Bonds used steroids, including a once undetectable designer drug.

In the court documents, prosecutors say Bonds tested positive in 2000 and 2001 for the steroids methenelone and nandrolone. Prosecutors want to use those test results to show Bonds lied when he told a grand jury in December 2003 that he never knowingly used steroids.

In addition, a government-retained scientist said he found evidence that Bonds used the designer steroid THG upon retesting a urine sample Bonds supplied as part of baseball's anonymous survey drug testing in 2003.

Major League Baseball contracted Quest Diagnostics and Comprehensive Drug Testing to carry out its anonymous drug testing in 2003. In April 2004, federal agents obtained a search warrant and seized urine samples held by Quest in Nevada and codes to match the samples from CDT in Long Beach, Calif.

When agents discovered a spreadsheet containing a list of all players who tested positive, they obtained a second search warrant and seized all samples. The legality of the second search remains in dispute, with three district court judges ruling for the Major League Baseball Players Association and the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals holding an en-banc hearing in December on the government's appeal.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 4 2009, 05:21 PM)

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) ―

A federal judge on Wednesday unsealed hundreds of pages of court documents at the heart of the government's criminal case against Barry Bonds, including positive drug tests that prosecutors linked to the home run king.

The documents also include a transcript of a taped conversation between Bonds' personal trainer and personal assistant discussing injecting the slugger, plus a list of current and former major leaguers, including Jason Giambi, who are scheduled to testify for the government at Bonds' upcoming trial.

The former San Francisco Giants is charged with lying to a grand jury when he said he never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs. His trial is scheduled for next month.

Federal prosecutors allege that Bonds used steroids, including a once undetectable designer drug.

In the court documents, prosecutors say Bonds tested positive in 2000 and 2001 for the steroids methenelone and nandrolone. Prosecutors want to use those test results to show Bonds lied when he told a grand jury in December 2003 that he never knowingly used steroids.

In addition, a government-retained scientist said he found evidence that Bonds used the designer steroid THG upon retesting a urine sample Bonds supplied as part of baseball's anonymous survey drug testing in 2003.

Major League Baseball contracted Quest Diagnostics and Comprehensive Drug Testing to carry out its anonymous drug testing in 2003. In April 2004, federal agents obtained a search warrant and seized urine samples held by Quest in Nevada and codes to match the samples from CDT in Long Beach, Calif.

When agents discovered a spreadsheet containing a list of all players who tested positive, they obtained a second search warrant and seized all samples. The legality of the second search remains in dispute, with three district court judges ruling for the Major League Baseball Players Association and the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals holding an en-banc hearing in December on the government's appeal.

I guess its too much to hope that this jackass does some prison time for this. Maybe him and Clemmens can share a cell.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 4 2009, 05:48 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 4 2009, 05:21 PM)

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) ― 

I guess its too much to hope that this jackass does some prison time for this. Maybe him and Clemmens can share a cell.

While I'd like to see both Bonds and Clemens in prison, I wouldn't want them to share a cell. They deserve to get the whole prison experience, and that should include advances from a horny cell mate. wink.gif

Don't drop the soap boys. laugh.gif