Parental help ...

Lady April

laugh.gif Well it's not that bad but it is getting to me. How does one get their kid to start eating veggies? unsure.gif My kid won't touch anything of the veggie nature. She picks her food apart. Drives me nutz! wacko.gif I know that all kids go through this but where do you start really? sad.gif

steamed broccoli with melted cheese on top (kraft singles work well)

carrots & celery with some type of ranch dip

I know these aren't the best toppings but the kids will eat the veggies underneath

corn on the cob is always fun for kids to eat. Buy them with the husks still on & let her help peel them first.

QUOTE (Lady April @ Jul 25 2007, 05:18 PM)
laugh.gif Well it's not that bad but it is getting to me. How does one get their kid to start eating veggies? unsure.gif My kid won't touch anything of the veggie nature. She picks her food apart. Drives me nutz! wacko.gif I know that all kids go through this but where do you start really? sad.gif

How old. I have kids 2 through 7 and they dont eat veggies hardly at all. Some green beans, and we make pumpkin muffins to sneak in some veggies, but by and large, very little. And cheese doesnt hide the broccoli for my kids - hahaha, they laugh openly at that. smile.gif

We also have iddues with getting my middle child to eat anything at all - so we try to sneak in some protein, some carbs, and some vegetable or fruit... but its sometimes impossible.

Welcome to the club smile.gif

laugh.gif Hey thanks for the welcome! Killer, she's actually 4 years old. I guess I didn't even think of actually baking anything from scratch and sneaking stuff in that way. Well ... come to think of it she hardly touches muffins or even cookies if you can believe that. What I am doing right now is giving her V-8's V-Fushion juice, every 8 oz. cup has 1 serv. fruit and 1 serv. veggie. I give her 2 of those a day and try to get her to have a banana or apple or grapes, frustrating. I figure 2 cups of juice a day won't rot her teeth. It was the only way to get her to stop drinking apple juice 24-7. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Lady April @ Jul 25 2007, 08:17 PM)
laugh.gif Hey thanks for the welcome! Killer, she's actually 4 years old. I guess I didn't even think of actually baking anything from scratch and sneaking stuff in that way. Well ... come to think of it she hardly touches muffins or even cookies if you can believe that. What I am doing right now is giving her V-8's V-Fushion juice, every 8 oz. cup has 1 serv. fruit and 1 serv. veggie. I give her 2 of those a day and try to get her to have a banana or apple or grapes, frustrating. I figure 2 cups of juice a day won't rot her teeth. It was the only way to get her to stop drinking apple juice 24-7. eyesre4.gif

Yes - V8 fusion - we use that too! Also - we have my middle child (4.5) eat what we call "treat bars" - they are really... oh crap lemme go see...ah yes, Pediasure "Nutripal" bars - they have protein and vitamins in them. And we give them childrens vitamins every day. The baby used to eat sweet potatoes (real ones) and green beans, but shes on to us, and is starting to turn her nose on veggies now after turning 2.

The fact is, they dont like veggies. Do the best you can sneaking some fresh fruit and other stuff and wait for them to grow up. My 7 year old eats canned green beans, sometimes some corn, and french fries. And thats about it smile.gif Theyll come around when theyre older, dont fret smile.gif

I didn't like vegetables at all until I was about 10.

You're in for a bumpy ride. laugh.gif

I still don't eat the following:

Celery 062802puke_prv.gif

Tomatoes 062802puke_prv.gif

Raw broccoli not in stir-fry or "broccoli pie" (with tons of cheese) laugh.gif

Also, the only kind of salad I eat is Caesar. Sadly, though you want kids and even adults to like veggies, sometimes they just won't. laugh.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 25 2007, 10:19 PM)
I didn't like vegetables at all until I was about 10.

You're in for a bumpy ride. laugh.gif

I still don't eat the following:

Celery 062802puke_prv.gif
Tomatoes 062802puke_prv.gif
Raw broccoli not in stir-fry or "broccoli pie" (with tons of cheese) laugh.gif

Also, the only kind of salad I eat is Caesar. Sadly, though you want kids and even adults to like veggies, sometimes they just won't. laugh.gif

rofl3.gif

Your tastes will change I promise you trink36.gif

tyler eats steamed veggies, no problem. he always has.

when he was a baby, i would feed him one jar of veggie, then one jar of fruit, in that order. you know, treating the fruit like a dessert.

timothy on the other hand, has never eaten a vegetable in his life. he gags repeatedly over them. confused13.gif poor lil guy...it's not just drama either, you can see his eyes watering. sad.gif

i'm gonna look for those nutripal things. thanks, lerxst! trink38.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 25 2007, 08:36 PM)
Pediasure "Nutripal" bars - they have protein and vitamins in them.

Yes I think that I must try those too, I thanks you too Lerxt bekloppt.gif

One reason that kiddies don't like vegies is that their taste buds are waaaay more sensitive to bitter. A lot of the really good-for-you vegies do have a bit of a bitter tone.

It's a survival thing... the little ones get a lot sicker from poisons. Poison plants are very bitter. It goes way back, when we were still trying to figure out "Is this plant safe?" So, to keep the younger generation safe from nasy poisons, nature gave them higher sensitivity to any thing even slightly bitter.

I remember when I was little, I couldn't stand broccoli, green bell peppers, onions, radishes, etc... (okay, so I still hate radishes... biggrin.gif ) But I have grown to love all the other vegies that are good for me! I don't notice the bitter tones that used to be so noticeable when I was small.

My mom got me eating vegies by introducing just one, and telling me to eat just three bites. If I didn't like it, I didn't have to finish it. Try sweeter things, like corn and carrots. I always loved corn-on-the-cob. Lightly steamed carrots were good for little baby teeth. Then I liked to crunch on raw carrots when my teeth were stronger. Iceberg lettuce hasn't got much taste, so that might work.

Some chicken soups have vegies in them, your little one might go for that...

Snack of "ants on a log" Celery with cream cheese or peanut butter (according to little one's tase) in the groove, topped with raisins (the "ants")

Other than that, yeah, try melting cheese over broccoli or cut vegies into small pieces and offering a yummy dressing like Ranch, French, or Blue Cheese to dip into. Or that VFusion... that could work to get the nutrition...

There are, in some health food/ herb shops, powders that can be blended into fruit smoothies. We like Greens+ in a banana and strawberry smoothie. (Stawberry juice, frozen strawberries, bananas and a scoop of Greens+ into the blender and zoom! It's a special treat that's good for you! Just don't tell the munchkin! laugh.gif )

Good luck!

QUOTE (Garden Dancer @ Jul 26 2007, 06:28 AM)
One reason that kiddies don't like vegies is that their taste buds are waaaay more sensitive to bitter. A lot of the really good-for-you vegies do have a bit of a bitter tone.
It's a survival thing... the little ones get a lot sicker from poisons. Poison plants are very bitter. It goes way back, when we were still trying to figure out "Is this plant safe?" So, to keep the younger generation safe from nasy poisons, nature gave them higher sensitivity to any thing even slightly bitter.
I remember when I was little, I couldn't stand broccoli, green bell peppers, onions, radishes, etc... (okay, so I still hate radishes... biggrin.gif ) But I have grown to love all the other vegies that are good for me! I don't notice the bitter tones that used to be so noticeable when I was small.

Ha ha I was just about to say that laugh.gif

Hmmm...

When I was really young I hated lettuce, onions, asparagus, tomatoes and probably a bunch of other stuff that I've forgotten at the moment. Now there isn't a veggie I won't eat. I do remember growing up that my parents rarely had any junk food or soda in the house so I think that kind of FORCED me into eating healthier foods. And any fast food we had was eaten more as a special treat vs. an option to get out of cooking.

If your kids like fried foods I guess you can have them try tempura. Other than that and the advice given above, I'm all out of ideas.

Try giving her some ranch dressing to dip things like carrot and celery sticks in. If nothing else, ranch kills the taste. wink.gif Maybe some of the ones used in Chinese cooking., like snow peas or baby corn, if you can find them? Or sweet potato fries? (Just had those for the first time a couple of weeks ago - I'm not crazy about the usual candied sweet potatoes, but the fries were good.) I loved eggplant when I was little - still do. And - don't laugh - fried green tomatoes are really good, too. You just dip them in a little cornmeal and fry 'em up. (Yeah, my entire family's from the deep south. laugh.gif

And zucchini bread is good. Really good. It's kind of like a spice cake.

Disclaimer - the above advice is coming from someone who still doesn't like green beans...

laugh.gif

3 out of my 4 love veggies and fruit so I can't complain.

However they only like them certain ways, maybe that's the trick.

The LOVE LOVE LOVE anything dipped in ranch dressing. Hidden Valley even makes little snack sized cups of it.

Cucumbers - as long as I cut it then scoop the seeds out. Try some of the dried fruits - that's how mine started on bananas.

Sugar snap pea - I have to buy the ones that they get to take the peas out of the pod. - They get to play with their food and eat it too.

Apples - bit of sugar but they sell dips for those too - I'll get the carmel but that is a treat. Since you can get the larger one you can control how much they use.

For Tomatoes - I make sauce and get bread or bread sticks they love to dip it in the sauce. If you used jar sauce check the label for added sugars.

Someone mentioned that veggies/fruit has a bitter taste. Well there are so many that have natural sugars that kids can enjoy.

I just saw this show - Honey we are killing the kids or something like that name on TV - the nutritionist on the show said it takes about a month to retrain a childs taste buds to enjoy veggies. If no other snacks are available they will start going for the veggies/fruit. She also said the more kids help prepare foods the more intrested they are in eatting them.

My pickeist eatter just ate eggplant and LOVED it, granted it was eggplant parm. but she has been begging for more. Maybe it is in hidding it! laugh.gif

Good luck - Kids come around to foods when least expected smile.gif

QUOTE (Garden Dancer @ Jul 25 2007, 11:28 PM)
There are, in some health food/ herb shops, powders that can be blended into fruit smoothies.  We like Greens+ in a banana and strawberry smoothie.  (Stawberry juice, frozen strawberries, bananas and a scoop of Greens+ into the blender and zoom!  It's a special treat that's good for you!  Just don't tell the munchkin! laugh.gif )

that's a great idea too! goodpost.gif

smile.gif So many good ideas, thanks you guys. One thing I do have on my side is that Emmy will eat Avacado no end! But that's about it. I can't stand Avacado laugh.gif never could no.gif don't know where she got it confused13.gif

What if she was made to eat a 5lb tub of gummy bears?

That might put her off candy for a while.

062802puke_prv.gif OMG! Yeah, I've heard of that being done but I'd rather not feed into the idea of indulgance of crap. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lady April @ Jul 25 2007, 06:18 PM)
My kid won't touch anything of the veggie nature. She picks her food apart. Drives me nutz!

I've been looking for an article for you that I read a while back, but haven't been able to find it. It was a great report on what they did at an inner-city school with kids who refused to eat vegetables. The waste on their plates was obvious when they returned their trays. Also, the nursing staff was concerned with the health problems among students, especially obesity.

To solve the problem, the school began a gardening project in which every child was responsible for planting, tending, growing, harvesting, cooking, and serving their own vegetables. The kids learned so much about the plants and fruits that they developed a deeper appreciation for eating them. This was so successful that the students increased vegetable consumption by a huge percentage. Health problems diminished. Also, as a bonus, the children learned cooperation skills which decreased the violence in the school, overall.

Just an idea - - can't hurt!!! All you need is a little plot of land or even a few pots on a porch! Plus, it would be soooooo much fun! biggrin.gif

Hare

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jul 29 2007, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (Lady April @ Jul 25 2007, 06:18 PM)
My kid won't touch anything of the veggie nature. She picks her food apart. Drives me nutz!

I've been looking for an article for you that I read a while back, but haven't been able to find it. It was a great report on what they did at an inner-city school with kids who refused to eat vegetables. The waste on their plates was obvious when they returned their trays. Also, the nursing staff was concerned with the health problems among students, especially obesity.

To solve the problem, the school began a gardening project in which every child was responsible for planting, tending, growing, harvesting, cooking, and serving their own vegetables. The kids learned so much about the plants and fruits that they developed a deeper appreciation for eating them. This was so successful that the students increased vegetable consumption by a huge percentage. Health problems diminished. Also, as a bonus, the children learned cooperation skills which decreased the violence in the school, overall.

Just an idea - - can't hurt!!! All you need is a little plot of land or even a few pots on a porch! Plus, it would be soooooo much fun! biggrin.gif

Hare

Oh man, I'd love to read that artical! I love that idea too. Should you come across it or if it is on-line please let me know.

Thanks laugh.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Aug 24 2007, 09:57 PM)
This is pretty good. Read the description. laugh.gif

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif OMG!!! I am dying! that is funny as hell!

I remember that when I tried this as a child, my mum would just take the plate away and say that if I didn't eat the veg, then I wasn't getting anything!

After a few missed meals, I started eating veg....end of.

I never had a similar problem with mine, as two of them (the boys) were interested in cooking from an early age (they both became chefs) and Laura was a vegetarian from about 11 years old....

Archived