Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

GhostGirl

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally finished reading this book. As being the last book I wanted to enjoy it and not rush through it the first day it came out. I really enjoyed this book, it was so well crafted.

I thought Harry was going to die for sure, I was actually was confident in this, and I was completely shocked when he didn't. I thought this was going to be the predictable ending to the series. I liked the way it turned out though, except going a tad too far in the epilogue.

I always thought Snape was a good guy all the way until he killed Dumbledore in book 6. After that I thought there was no way to turn him good now. I was pleasently surprised and liked how that part played out.

I think this last movie is going to be 3 hours much in the same approach as the last Lord of the Rings movie; the main characters finishing off their quest, while having the final clash of battle in the background.

I just finished it - I started it yesterday. I wanted to re-read all the books (to have them fresh in my mind) before reading book 7. So I got them out of the library (again - I hope to get the whole set when it comes out in September) and started reading on 7/23 when I got the email from the library saying that 7 was being held for me!)

I thought the book was great - though, as with a few of you, my main disappointment is that, well, that's it. The end. Finito. No more Harry Potter stories. That does make me very sad, but at least we have the movies to look forward to - and I agree that they are going to have to make 7 at least 2.5 to 3 hours - NO CUTTING IMPORTANT PLOT SUBJECTS OUT! That drive's me nuts!! wacko.gif

I have to agree with a lot of you in here about some of the points. While I don't think detailed death scenes for Fred, Lupin, and Tonks were necessary, it almost felt as though they were mentioned as an afterthought - like, oh yeah, these people died too. And poor Hedwig! That nearly broke my heart reading that sad.gif sad.gif

As far as Severus is concerned, when I read the intro to book 6, I personally felt betrayed by him - I had thought, throughout the first 5 books, that he was overall a good guy, just exceedingly resentful of Harry, mainly due to how much he looked like James. He had every reason to hate James - he and the rest of the Marauders were real assholes to Severus. You could kind of make see in book 5 (when Harry accidentally sees Severus' memory in the Occlemancy lessons) the hint of some kind of relationship between Lily and Severus, as well. I, like a lot of people, didn't quite believe that Severus killed Dumbledore on Voldemort's orders...it didn't seem quite right.

The epilogue did wrap everything up in a nice happy package, but I, too, would like to know what Harry, Ron, Hermione are now doing, besides being parents, sending their children of to Hogwarts. I almost want to say that Harry would end up being headmaster of the school - if he finished school, that is. They don't really touch on that either - Did Harry Potter go back to finish Year 7 at Hogwarts? If so, how did he perform on his N.E.W.T.'s? (LOL taking the tone of Rita Skeeter). Okay, and now that I read the link so thoughtfully provided by rushgoober (thanks!!) I see that I was quite far off the mark on that one LOL

I'm sure I'll think of more to say, but that's my thoughts. Honestly, I love the whole series and am very sad to see it end....she could certainly continue writing, carrying on the stories into the next generation, continue to bring in vast amounts of money, because people would be genuinely interested to read how the children do at Hogwarts...if Albus, James or Lily end up being a top notch Seeker like their dad or grandfather smile.gif

Edited by LakesideMaiden

If for some reason you don't want to hear J.K. Rowling's thoughts about what happened to the characters after the book, don't scroll down.

Article I saw today at cnn.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/07/3...e.ap/index.html

SPOILER ALERT: Those who do not wish to know what happens to the characters after the book ends should stop reading here.

Rowling said the world was a sunnier, happier place after the seventh book and the death of Voldemort.

Harry Potter, who always voiced a desire to become an Auror, or someone who fights dark wizards, was named head of the Auror Department under the new wizarding government headed by his friend and ally, Kingsley Shacklebolt.

His wife, Ginny Weasley, stuck with her athletic career, playing for the Holyhead Harpies, the all-female Quidditch team. Eventually, Ginny left the team to raise their three children -- James, Albus and Lily -- while writing as the senior Quidditch correspondent for the wizarding newspaper, the Daily Prophet.

Harry's best friend Ron Weasley joined his brother, George, as a partner at their successful joke shop, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. Hermione Granger, Ron's wife and the third person of the series' dark wizard fighting trio, furthered the rights of subjugated creatures, such as house elves, in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures before joining the magical law enforcement squad. The couple had two children -- Rose and Hugo.

Luna Lovegood, Harry's airily distracted friend with a love for imaginary animals who joins the fight against Voldemort in the Order of the Phoenix, becomes a famous wizarding naturalist who eventually marries the grandson of Newt Scamander, author of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them."

And what Muggle, or non-wizard, song would have been played at the funeral of Albus Dumbledore, the most brilliant and talented wizard the world had ever known?

"Surely 'I Did It My Way' by Frank Sinatra," Rowling told her fans, referring to the song "My Way," written by Paul Anka but popularized by Sinatra, among other singers.

What an incredible book. I also thought the deaths at the end could have had a bit more detail, especially with Fred and the impact on George. and I agree completely about this being one extremely hard movie to make...that was one of my first thoughts too.

I really am disappointed about Rowling not writing more HP stories. She's created an immense universe that can't be finished in seven books. If she never wrote another book about it, it would be a colossal waste IMO.

After finishing the book, I got that feeling I get whenever I finish any good book: a feeling a satisfaction, and, if it's particularly good, then breathlessness. And I couldn't breathe for practically a full minute a finish HP7. An excellent read, really kept me going. I was always stopping to analyze, to try to figure out what will happen next. I felt it was the best HP book yet; that's mostly because the other ones were somewhat childish. HP7 was much more serious; it really showed the character changes, etc. However, I was somewhat let down. I kinda like the darker books, with the bittersweet endings and such (The Rainmaker and The Firm, both by John Grisham is more of what I like in an ending), and I was disappointed in the ending ... it was too touchy-feely for me. I mean, everything turns out perfect, no one's sad, hooray, hooray. I think Neville should've been able to get Bellatrix Lestrange, too. A good read, all in all, but I would've liked a little more of bittersweetness in the ending.

What I loved

I am so happy that not only Harry but Ron, Hermione and Neville all destroyed a Horcrux!

Neville and Ron both came about in a stunning way, grew up!

When Ron destroyerd the Locket Horcrux. I thought for sure he was going to cave. I was so glad that Ron and Harry had that moment afterwards and I was applauding Ron for his sadness and bravery. Ron was overall amazing!

Ron and Hermione getting together was perfect. Um there is a war going on.

Molly kicking Bellas butt!

Voldies death, the final chapter.

Deaths, I knew it was coming but it's still sad. Well done though.

What I hated.

Chapter 34 and Chapter 35.

Snape, nonsense. It made so much more sense to have Snape protect Harry because of the failed life debt to James. Also fully grips why he hates Harry. HATED IT!

I also didnt care for Harry is a Horcrux but when I was arguing the point I had thought of the adage of a wet ball bouncing against a wall. It would have helped to understand Horcruxes too. There is usually always more than one way to create something.

Not returning to Hogwarts. 7 Books for 7 Years at Hogwarts was blown out of the water.

It seems she was affected by all the attention. I seriously think the book would have been different had she not become some famous for it.

QUOTE (New World Man @ Sep 10 2007, 02:50 PM)
The book should have been called Hermione Granger and the Deathly Hollows. She seamed to be the main character in this book. Also the last battle between Harry and Voldemort was weak in my opinion.

Agreed. I didn't need to be told on how she gathered mushrooms.

What was next? How she wipes her arse on the grass after she takes a poop?

xD

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 30 2007, 10:54 AM)
Jeez, I thought the book was brilliant and the epilogue was great. I'm honestly surprised anyone had any problems with this book at all. I thought this thread (I waited till I finished it last night) would be nothing but praise for such an amazing story and tremendous final chapter. Oh well... confused13.gif

I finally broke down and read the Deathly Hallows, after letting it sit on my night stand since July. I agree with Goob. What an awesome book. I couldn't put it down (which is probably why I was reluctant to pick it up. I value my sleep too much). I can't believe I finished a 750 page book in less than a week.

Rowling really had me fooled with Snape. I never would have guessed that he was totally committed to Dumbledoor, after he killed him.

I can't wait to see this one become a movie. It will be tough to do, but if they don't cut too much out, it's going to rock!

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 17 2008, 03:12 PM)
I can't wait to see this one become a movie. It will be tough to do, but if they don't cut too much out, it's going to rock!

Funny you should say that. Clickety.

I wasn't able to get The Book until noon the the day it came out, I was so disappointed that i wouldn't be able to get it at midnight. But I plowed through it 18 hours straight. I Finished it at 5:00 the next morning. But it was awesome. I'm not really fond of the whole "Dumbledore is gay" thing though.