Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

GhostGirl

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 23 2007, 11:52 PM)
Maybe it should just be over.

Well, yeah, now that the epilogue happened, it should be. Harry's had it tough enough already.

She could do a whole new series, though, totally unrelated to Harry.

Or she could just retire on her billions of dollars. laugh.gif

she's worth at least one billion

richest writer in the history of the world

Philosopher's Stone is the ninth best selling book of ALL TIME

and here I am unpublished. I better get to work!

Y'all know my feelings on the epilogue, but since she went ahead and DID it laugh.gif I wish she had let us know what career paths Harry, Ron, and Draco chose. It was cool to know that Neville is Prof. of Herbology at Hogwarts, but what did the other guys do? Are Hermione and Ginny stay at home witches? I would've liked more of a glimpse into their grown-up lives since she brought it up.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 24 2007, 08:56 AM)
Y'all know my feelings on the epilogue, but since she went ahead and DID it laugh.gif I wish she had let us know what career paths Harry, Ron, and Draco chose.  It was cool to know that Neville is Prof. of Herbology at Hogwarts, but what did the other guys do?  Are Hermione and Ginny stay at home witches?  I would've liked more of a glimpse into their grown-up lives since she brought it up.

I agree!

If we (the readers) get that look into the future why not let us know. When Ron is waving the kiddie off and says they are looking at me I famous, is that Ron's humor or could he really be?

GG - I love that stay at home witches. This gave me a bit of a much needed laugh this morning. All I can picture is them sitting back watching Desperate House Witches. laugh.gif

OK so I haven't finished my coffee yet...back to the discussion...

QUOTE (owlswing @ Jul 24 2007, 08:14 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 24 2007, 08:56 AM)
Y'all know my feelings on the epilogue, but since she went ahead and DID it laugh.gif I wish she had let us know what career paths Harry, Ron, and Draco chose.  It was cool to know that Neville is Prof. of Herbology at Hogwarts, but what did the other guys do?  Are Hermione and Ginny stay at home witches?  I would've liked more of a glimpse into their grown-up lives since she brought it up.

I agree!

If we (the readers) get that look into the future why not let us know. When Ron is waving the kiddie off and says they are looking at me I famous, is that Ron's humor or could he really be?

GG - I love that stay at home witches. This gave me a bit of a much needed laugh this morning. All I can picture is them sitting back watching Desperate House Witches. laugh.gif

OK so I haven't finished my coffee yet...back to the discussion...

Desperate House Witches... rofl3.gif

"Castle and Garden Network" ?

Shopping at Bed, Bath, and Cauldron?

laugh.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 22 2007, 02:42 PM)
One thing is, this book is going to be hard as f**k to turn into a movie.

when I read the last sentence...this was my first thought!

GREAT book. holy crap! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (rushengal @ Jul 23 2007, 06:55 PM)

I was rather interested to read about Snape's history, and his feelings towards Lily, this was kind of shocking, seeing Snape's attitude towards Harry throughout his education at Hogwarts.

I don't find Snape's treatment of Harry all that shocking. Those green eyes, so like Lily's, were a constant reminder. Every time Snape saw those eyes... He was seeing Lily's eyes, and what he had lost.

On the issue of Fred, Tonks and Lupin, I understand why they didn't get more in the story.

Remember, we are seeing the world through Harry's eyes. He didn't have any time to linger, really. He had to face V. in the Forest. And battle again in the school, to finish him off.

We can assume that there was rememberance for all the fallen.

Did we really need to read the tearful chapter of goodbyes? We got more for other fallen heros because Harry was there. (Burrying Dobby, for example.) We all felt the ache. We held our rememberances in the moment, 'cause we could pause reading to think of them. Once the craziness eased, there was time for remembering. There was time to honour the ones who had gone.

I think she wrote it well, not adding a tearful farewells chapter. She took us 19 years forward, to remind us... life continues, even after so much lost, even after such death, life does continue.

Yeah, that scene may have been unexpectedly sunny, but I liked it a lot. It worked, for me. smile.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Jul 24 2007, 01:14 PM)

I think that it's just Ron being funny although he could be a tad famous but obviously not surpassing Harry Potter. wink.gif

QUOTE (Garden Dancer @ Jul 25 2007, 03:41 AM)
QUOTE (rushengal @ Jul 23 2007, 06:55 PM)

I was rather interested to read about Snape's history, and his feelings towards Lily, this was kind of shocking, seeing Snape's attitude towards Harry throughout his education at Hogwarts.

I don't find Snape's treatment of Harry all that shocking. Those green eyes, so like Lily's, were a constant reminder. Every time Snape saw those eyes... He was seeing Lily's eyes, and what he had lost.

Good Point!

Jeez, I thought the book was brilliant and the epilogue was great. I'm honestly surprised anyone had any problems with this book at all. I thought this thread (I waited till I finished it last night) would be nothing but praise for such an amazing story and tremendous final chapter. Oh well... confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 30 2007, 11:54 AM)
Jeez, I thought the book was brilliant and the epilogue was great.  I'm honestly surprised anyone had any problems with this book at all.  I thought this thread (I waited till I finished it last night) would be nothing but praise for such an amazing story and tremendous final chapter.  Oh well...  confused13.gif

The book was amazing I agree! Now that it has been more than a week since I finished it I have come to see that she really did answer so many questions and with the final chapter left us fulfilled.

My only sorrow remains that after the final battle all wizards, witches, centaurs, gobbins, elfs, and giants were brought together yet flash forward...it's back to the 4 houses seperated...and I don't want to be in that one...right back to square one.

...but I guess that is about a true future as you can get!

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 24 2007, 04:49 AM)

I wish she hadn't written the peaceful epilogue so she could've created a conflict for Harry's post-Voldemort life and made a couple more good books.

EDIT: On the other hand, she could just make an entirely new series. wink.gif

I think that was the whole point of the epilogue. In addition it means that, s lot further down the line, no-one else is going to be able to continue Harry's story - something JKR has said she dopesn't want.

On the other hand, she could just make an entirely new series

From what I've read, her intention is now to write an adult detective novel next as well as, possibly, a 'Harry Potter' encylopaedia.

Should she decide to return to the HP universe, I think there's enough material for a few prequels if she was desperate enough (Dumbledore's story, Sirius' story, the Marauders at Hogwarts just to name a few). However, I don't think these will happen - certainly not for quite a while.

However, all in all, I'm glad this didn't come true

There was one thing in particular that I loved.

To many, the big question for this book was, would Harry live or die? Well, she had him do BOTH! Ok, he didn't really die, but she made it appear as if he would, giving the reader the emotions they would have as if he did die. That was really, really clever IMHO.

I also loved how she managed to fit pretty much every important and semi-important character from all the previous books into this one - that was very fitting I thought for a grand finale.

I really didn't know how she'd manage to have Harry to destroy all the remaining horcruxes in one book, but she pulled it off, with a little help from his friends.

All in all, a stunning conclusion to the (deservedly) most popular books of this generation. yes.gif

I was thinking about what some of the complaints about the book have been in this thread.

Regarding Moody, Lupin and Tonks not getting death scenes:

For pretty much the entirety of the books, the story is told from Harry's perspective. Sometimes it's told from Voldemort's perpspective, but even then almost always it's because Harry is seeing what he's seeing.

I think some major characters had to die in order to show the scope of the battle between good and evil, and it had to include characters that Harry cared about and we cared about to bring it close to home. Since the battles were so large and so many people were involved, it makes sense that Harry couldn't personally witness all the people who he cared about dying. At the Battle of Hogwarts, there were probably dozens of small battles happening.

I never for a second lamented a big death scene just because to me it always made sense that some people would die, and since the book is from his perspective, he wouldn't be there to see all of them.

Regarding the 4 houses remaining at Hogwarts, I think the whole point was for Harry to save the wizarding world so it can go on peacefully like it mostly has for over 1,000 years. Why should his defeating Voldemort mean that everything had to change? It was simply so that Hogwarts could continue and life could go on peacefully in the wizarding world. The epilogue DID show one positive change though, that Hermonie was working for the advancement of rights of other magical beings.

I think the epilogue worked great. Yes, she could have expounded on forever about what happened after the battle and made sure every single character had a future, but the main point to me was that Voldemort was defeated, and that people were able to live happily. It's no surprise to anyone who's read the whole series that Harry and Ginny would wind up together if they survived, and that Hermonie and Ron would too. I think the ending was sweet, it was just showing a peaceful and happy aftermath and she did it so it would be hard to keep making sequels.

Honestly, I thought it was all handled brilliantly. yes.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 31 2007, 11:13 AM)
The epilogue DID show one positive change though, that Hermonie was working for the advancement of rights of other magical beings.

I think this was in the interview link you provided not in the book.

BTW thanks for that link it was interesting. smile.gif

I loved the book. I wanted with all my heart for Snape to be the bad guy I still think he is. I was dead set against the "he killed dumbledore by request" theories... leave it to Rowling to completely prove me wrong and vindicate the jerk. Damn it.

I too thought the last chapter was a tad too "up with people." Raise your hand if you married your high school sweetheart.

Thanks for posting the cnn story, and as for the sibling theory... that was Star Wars. Harry said she was "LIKE" a sister. That's all.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Jul 31 2007, 08:36 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 31 2007, 11:13 AM)
The epilogue DID show one positive change though, that Hermonie was working for the advancement of rights of other magical beings.

I think this was in the interview link you provided not in the book.

Was it? oops.gif

Still, I thought the epilogue was just fine and the book was awesome. To quibble over tiny little things I would have liked to have been different in such a monstrous series of books seems pointless to me. All in all a startling achievement. I don't know about anyone else, but most series of books go downhill at some point. Hers just got better. smile.gif

I very much agree with rushgoober, in that the book as a whole was masterfully written. I applaud Rowling's ability to include the destruction of all the final Horcruxes; I was seriously thinking it would come out that Dobby or someone else as tricky and stage-left as that would have taken care of a few, sayin'?

I also really love the way she made a point to include the Sev/Lily bit. (As I've said before, lol) It was like the bacon bits on my salad to see that bit of zest thrown into the final chapters of the final book, and rewarding, as I also said, because...

I KNEW IT ALL ALONG! ( laugh.gif trink36.gif )

Anyway, so kudos Rowling's way, Mazel Tov, felicitamos, and furthermore,

Good show, wot?