whcih song is geddy lee's voice the highest

walrickenbacker2112

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 26 2007, 05:09 PM)
Count me in on the Cygnus X-1 Vote.

SPINNING,WHIRLING, STILL ASCENDING, LIKE A SPIRAL SEA UNENDING

WOW.

In fact the last half of that song may be the HARDEST Rush song they've ever put to tape,...it's just loud and it rocks out

yes.gif I think the "Sea Unending" eeks out the "Torn Apart" as being higher. It definitely beats it for the skriek factor.

On Freewill, when he sings "cell of awareness" and "uncertain ends" wow, those are really high, too.

In the Soliloquoy of 2112, when he begins to shriek, that all is way up there, but is the verse of Temples of Syrinx even higher? Treeduck is right, there is just something aobut how he attacks that song, even that whole album.

One of my favorites is from set three of Different Stages, when he sings the "Whoa!" in Bastille Day (lemony cake, anyone?)

And finally, of course, anytime he sang "Wrought" in Anthem...

Chris

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 25 2007, 08:09 PM)
QUOTE (Larks @ Jun 25 2007, 08:04 PM)
Cygnus x-1

Every nerve is.... Torn aparttttttttttttttttttttttt

Yeah, that must be the highest....

Definatley.

I don't think he did a low note on that whole song! laugh.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 24 2007, 07:53 PM)
Cygnus X-1

This is what I was thinking. confused13.gif I've never heard him do anything close to what he does at the end of this one no.gif

I used to think Freewill was the highest he ever sang, but then I heard Cygnus X-1 for the first time the other day, and I think it's slightly higher than Freewill. He really shrieks out that part near the end on Cygnus.

Temples of Syrinx is pretty high too, but not quite as high as Freewill and Cygnus.

QUOTE (Lerxst2112 @ Sep 17 2007, 04:51 PM)
LISTEN!

wink.gif

I think that goes along with the shriek in "Cygnus X-1". Random high-pitched screeches are not really singing. Whereas, the vocal line in "Freewill" really IS singing and it's sustained for several measures.

Then again, there's plenty of early stuff that's really high throughout, like "Anthem."

QUOTE (Room 34 @ Sep 17 2007, 08:38 PM)
I think that goes along with the shriek in "Cygnus X-1". Random high-pitched screeches are not really singing.

They're not random screeches. Although it may not be as clear as other lyrics, he says

Spinning, whirling, still descending

Like a spiral sea unending

Sound and fury drown my heart

Every nerve is torn apart....

They're words, no matter how high they are.

Going through the posts in order...

The highest note in "Circumstances" is a D5

The highest note in "Freewill" is an F5

The highest note in "Available Light" is a D5

The highest note in "No One at the Bridge" is a G5

The highest note in "Cygnus X-1" is an A#/Bb5

The highest note in "2112" is a G5

The highest note in "Marathon" is a C5 (I think...I'm not positive, I'll have to go back and listen again)

The highest note in "Anthem" is an E5

The highest note in "Bastille Day" is an E5

The highest note in "Finding My Way" is an E5

The highest note in "Fly By Night" is an F#/Gb5

So there's your definate answer, coming from a guy with perfect pitch. As per OP's request, I used only studio recordings for this.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 13 2007, 09:42 PM)

The highest note in "Marathon" is a C5 (I think...I'm not positive, I'll have to go back and listen again)

So there's your definate answer, coming from a guy with perfect pitch. As per OP's request, I used only studio recordings for this.

Awesome, thank you. cool.gif

Perfect pitch?! Must be nice... I'm sorta doing David Burge's PP and RP courses, so hope to develop this ability (my RP is very good, just want to round it out with PP).

So anyway, what Geddy did in the studio years ago and what he can do live onstage now are two different things... I saw on a S&A video that he did the high part in Freewill... does he still manage 2112? Do they even do Cygnus?

(On another note, does anyone notice that all of S&A is slower than most Rush albums? Anyone with a great sense of time?)

QUOTE (walrickenbacker2112 @ Jun 24 2007, 07:30 PM)
which studio song do think geddys voice is the most high piched on i personally think circumstances

This is not a subjective question. We could all guess differently (my guess goes to the bridge in Freewill "Each of us a cell of awareness," etc.) but the fact of the matter is, whether somebody bothers to actually check or not, this is not a subjective question, but an objective one.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Sep 18 2007, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (Room 34 @ Sep 17 2007, 08:38 PM)
I think that goes along with the shriek in "Cygnus X-1". Random high-pitched screeches are not really singing.

They're not random screeches. Although it may not be as clear as other lyrics, he says

Spinning, whirling, still descending

Like a spiral sea unending

Sound and fury drown my heart

Every nerve is torn apart....

They're words, no matter how high they are.

To discover that those are his highest notes brings me great joy. "Spiral sea unending" are my seven favourite syllables from A Farewell to Kings. I love the way he sings that. Easily my favourite singing by Geddy Lee on record.

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Oct 14 2007, 01:36 AM)

Perfect pitch?! Must be nice... I'm sorta doing David Burge's PP and RP courses, so hope to develop this ability (my RP is very good, just want to round it out with PP).

(On another note, does anyone notice that all of S&A is slower than most Rush albums? Anyone with a great sense of time?)

Perfect Pitch comes in handy...but when you're around tone-deaf, non-musical people it can get annoying sad.gif

The general pace of S&A was one of the first things that struck me upon my first listen of the album, actually. I noticed that Far Cry and Malignant Narcissism were the only really uptempo songs. This doesn't really detract from the quality of the music, but I have to be in the right mood to hear it and enjoy it.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 14 2007, 03:42 AM)

I make the high notes in Marathon C#, which Geddy also reaches in Red Barchetta, and I believe Secret Touch from Vapor Trails.

I think that Geddy's highest note on Snakes & Arrows is B(4?) which he sings in Far Cry. Any others?

So there's your definate answer, coming from a guy with perfect pitch.  As per OP's request, I used only studio recordings for this.

That would make Available Light off of Presto back in 1989 as the last song having a high note above the classical tenor C5, correct?

18 years ago...

Since we're on the subject, anyone care to see what his lowest note is?

And what Rush's fastest and slowest songs? Betcha Snakes and Arrows has more slow and low notes than most any other album to date... msn_sheep.png

Edited by psionic11

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Oct 16 2007, 02:09 AM)

So there's your definate answer, coming from a guy with perfect pitch.  As per OP's request, I used only studio recordings for this.

That would make Available Light off of Presto back in 1989 as the last song having a high note above the classical tenor C5, correct?

18 years ago...

And what Rush's fastest and slowest songs? Betcha Snakes and Arrows has more slow and low notes than most any other album to date... msn_sheep.png

Would this include the speaking parts in "Double Agent"? I think that's the deepest I've ever heard him go, but it's not singing.

QUOTE (Deadwing @ Oct 16 2007, 09:43 AM)
QUOTE (psionic11 @ Oct 16 2007, 02:09 AM)

18 years ago...

Would this include the speaking parts in "Double Agent"? I think that's the deepest I've ever heard him go, but it's not singing.

D7-D5

G7-G5

B5xD3

Tried to play it.. but this chess match is really tough.