Anyone Else Notice The Mistake on ASOH

PeartInTraining

Guys,

Look closely at the end of "Overture" and you'll see Alex has a broken string. Also, he's using different guitars on "Overture" and "Temples." Presumably, Alex came in late because a guitar swap was taking place off-camera between the two songs.

I've seen a lot of folks speculate the the guitars are different because the footage was shot on two nights. This isn't the case. While footage was shot on two sucessive nights, the first night was for the close-ups, and the second was for wide-angle shots from the back of the arena. (Source of this info was ALex himself in an old interview).

Peace,

Ron

I think Alex just came in a little late, because Geddy looks over at him, as if to say, "Hello? Alex?" I love that part of the video!

Also, I believe Alex breaks his string at the end of Tom Sawyer on ASOH... you can actually see him pull it off after it breaks.

We don't know HALF the stuff that goes on up on stage.

I think I read in a FAQ or something that Ged was playing that prink on Alex by not singing his line, therefore not cueing Alex to play his part, but Alex played it anyway. IDK...

125:In the A Show Of Hands video, has anybody noticed that Alex's guitar keeps changing?

Yes. This has been discussed several times in TNMS. The A Show Of Hands video was filmed during a 3-night concert series at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, England. Test footage was shot the first night. The majority of the video comes from the second night, but several shots were used from the third night's performance. In some cases, this was because the shots taken on the second night weren't quite right, but in a few places, like the beginning of 2112, it was Geddy having fun in the editing stage.

Yes, Alex does break a string at the end of "Tom Sawyer," but the guitar changes more than once, so it isn't just Alex swapping in a new guitar.

http://www.nimitz.net/rush/faq3ans.html#121

But we know from watching Rio that Alex changes guitars a billion times a show.

QUOTE (Grace2Grace @ Jun 8 2007, 01:07 AM)
I think I read in a FAQ or something that Ged was playing that prink on Alex by not singing his line, therefore not cueing Alex to play his part, but Alex played it anyway. IDK...

125:In the A Show Of Hands video, has anybody noticed that Alex's guitar keeps changing?

Yes. This has been discussed several times in TNMS. The A Show Of Hands video was filmed during a 3-night concert series at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, England. Test footage was shot the first night. The majority of the video comes from the second night, but several shots were used from the third night's performance. In some cases, this was because the shots taken on the second night weren't quite right, but in a few places, like the beginning of 2112, it was Geddy having fun in the editing stage.

Yes, Alex does break a string at the end of "Tom Sawyer," but the guitar changes more than once, so it isn't just Alex swapping in a new guitar.

http://www.nimitz.net/rush/faq3ans.html#121

But we know from watching Rio that Alex changes guitars a billion times a show.

True but around the time of 1988 when ASOH was filmed he tended to use his "Hentor Sportscaster" throughout most of the concert, wheres when RIR was filmed he used a variety of different guitars.

QUOTE (Barnacle @ Jun 6 2007, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 6 2007, 10:34 AM)

Probably a good thing too...all that fartin going on between tunes after big burrito dinners...whew.

You truly are a scatalogically obsessed fellow, aren't you?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 8 2007, 03:19 PM)

Probably a good thing too...all that fartin going on between tunes after big burrito dinners...whew.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 8 2007, 04:19 PM)

I was sitting here thinking the same exact thing when I read that.

cool.gif

QUOTE (PeartInTraining @ Jun 8 2007, 01:37 PM)
True but around the time of 1988 when ASOH was filmed he tended to use his "Hentor Sportscaster" throughout most of the concert, wheres when RIR was filmed he used a variety of different guitars.

I disagree... 1988 was during Alex's stint with the Signature guitar brand, wasn't it?

I was at a show in New Orleans years ago (probably the Counterparts show, I really can't remember) where Alex's wireless hookup stopped working and we couldn't hear his guitar anymore.

He's strumming along, realizes there's a problem, looks down at the guitar then over at his tech and makes a "WTF?" gesture at him. The guy comes running up and the two of them are twiddling with knobs and shit for about a full minute before the sound comes back up.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 8 2007, 03:19 PM)

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Jun 6 2007, 07:38 AM)
I can't vouch for it, but someone once said that Alex was playing a joke on Ged, to get back at him for something Ged had done to him earlier in the show (all in good fun of course).

Close. It's Geddy playing a joke on Alex. He leans into the mic with his mouth open, but purposely doesn't sing the line. Alex hesitates for a second and then starts playing the guitar part anyway.

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Jun 8 2007, 10:45 PM)

I disagree... 1988 was during Alex's stint with the Signature guitar brand, wasn't it?

Yh thats the guitars i was refering too. They were called Hentor Sportscasters. 2.gif

I think.

QUOTE (PeartInTraining @ Jun 9 2007, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Jun 8 2007, 10:45 PM)

Yh thats the guitars i was refering too. They were called Hentor Sportscasters. 2.gif

I think.

this is a Hentor replica:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pet...ars/Hentor9.jpg

this is a signature:

http://www.geocities.com/signatureguitar/alex02.jpg

He used the signature on ASOH, not the Hentor

I remember at one point in a song off of ASOH, Geddy and Alex were suppost to trade off dancing , Geddy did his little dance and motioned to Alex that it was his turn, but Alex motioned back to Geddy again to dance, Geddy motioned back to Alex (with a confused look while half dancing) that it was his turn to dance his little jig. That may have led up to the mistake on the "Meek shall" pause by Geddy and Alex? Payback perhaps...it went down something like that anyway...but all in good fun I'm sure.

I don't know the story behind it, but it doesn't look like a trick on Geddy's part. It looks like Geddy's ready to sing and looks over at Alex because he missed his cue. A second later, Alex starts playing, and Geddy catches up. While it could be something different, it looks like Alex's fault, which would explain why Geddy points his thumb at him, as if to say "his fault." Edited by kbomb106

ya, i think there was some mistakes on Rio dvd too, i think it was the same song.

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Jun 8 2007, 10:51 PM)
I was at a show in New Orleans years ago (probably the Counterparts show, I really can't remember) where Alex's wireless hookup stopped working and we couldn't hear his guitar anymore.
He's strumming along, realizes there's a problem, looks down at the guitar then over at his tech and makes a "WTF?" gesture at him. The guy comes running up and the two of them are twiddling with knobs and shit for about a full minute before the sound comes back up.

I was at that show! It was in the New Orleans Lakefront Arena and, if memory serves me well, Candlebox opened for Rush that night. Awesome show! I remember the incident with Alex's wireless going out. At least it proved to my nutjob friend that the band wasn't lipsyncing. tongue.gif