The Official Runner's Thread

deadwing2112

Ok, well, my running update. I'm still (of course) running every day and loving it. I love running outdoors. It's the best experience. I am planning on running through the winter even though they're predicting a bitter cold winter for us, which, is unusual in Seattle. Unless it snows a ton, I'll still be out there. I do enjoy running in cold weather. It's exhilarating.

Just wanted to thank you Janie for your inspiration! I know this won't sound like much but I am very excited about the workout I had this morning. I have been working out pretty hard for past 6 months and have seen great results. I usually walk very intensely for at least 40 minutes and do some light lifting and ab work. Well today thanks to your interest I decided to step it up a notch. I have not run a mile without stopping in at least 15 years. I had read somewhere that it is best to shed some weight before trying. Well I have been patient with that up to this point. Today I did the ab work and light lifting. Then went to the treadmill and punched in 50 minutes. I burned about 700 calories and was quite proud of myself. Sat an rested for a little while and the thought popped into my head "lets see if we can run?". I got back on the treadmill and ran a mile without stopping! It took me 10:12 to do it. I can't wait for tomorrow's session. I really could have kept going but I want to build gradually to 5k's and more. Thanks again Janie! :chickendance: :notworthy:

+/- 10-minute mile is solid! :clap: First one's the toughest. If you can do one, you can do two! :cheers: Wait...no beer. Healthy no carb protein shake instead. ;)

Ok, well, my running update. I'm still (of course) running every day and loving it. I love running outdoors. It's the best experience. I am planning on running through the winter even though they're predicting a bitter cold winter for us, which, is unusual in Seattle. Unless it snows a ton, I'll still be out there. I do enjoy running in cold weather. It's exhilarating.

Just wanted to thank you Janie for your inspiration! I know this won't sound like much but I am very excited about the workout I had this morning. I have been working out pretty hard for past 6 months and have seen great results. I usually walk very intensely for at least 40 minutes and do some light lifting and ab work. Well today thanks to your interest I decided to step it up a notch. I have not run a mile without stopping in at least 15 years. I had read somewhere that it is best to shed some weight before trying. Well I have been patient with that up to this point. Today I did the ab work and light lifting. Then went to the treadmill and punched in 50 minutes. I burned about 700 calories and was quite proud of myself. Sat an rested for a little while and the thought popped into my head "lets see if we can run?". I got back on the treadmill and ran a mile without stopping! It took me 10:12 to do it. I can't wait for tomorrow's session. I really could have kept going but I want to build gradually to 5k's and more. Thanks again Janie! :chickendance: :notworthy:

+/- 10-minute mile is solid! :clap: First one's the toughest. If you can do one, you can do two! :cheers: Wait...no beer. Healthy no carb protein shake instead. ;)

Going for a mile and a half tomorrow. Hell maybe 2. :codger:

Just go slow, take it easy and listen to your body. If you start feeling sore, stop and walk. If the soreness goes away, start running again but if it keeps up, either stop or keep walking, but slowly.

Just go slow, take it easy and listen to your body. If you start feeling sore, stop and walk. If the soreness goes away, start running again but if it keeps up, either stop or keep walking, but slowly.

I appreciate your concern on this one. Believe me I have waited for 6 months to start really running at all. I will not :rush: into anything that I cannot handle. The mile today just seemed much easier than I figured it would be. Really surprised me in a good way. :P

i've become more of a swimmer, as to save some of my joints from deteriorating so fast! hehehe :facepalm:

Swimming is a great workout. Every now and then I get in the pool at the gym. I always start out power swimming and then after a while find myself taking up a good portion of the pool leisurely floating around on my back.

Ran a mile again today after my intense walking session. Did it in 10:00 flat. Don't want to push it to hard just yet. We will see what tomorrow brings. :dweez:

Ran a mile again today after my intense walking session. Did it in 10:00 flat. Don't want to push it to hard just yet. We will see what tomorrow brings. :dweez:

That. Is. Fantastic!!! Way to go! How often are you hitting the gym? If you do go tomorrow, try a mile and a half. Since you were able to go one mile easily two days in a row, I would say your body should be fine running a longer distance.
  • Like 1

I go almost every day. When I can't go, I do the neighborhood thing. I haven't missed a day since my cast was removed in early May. I think it shows and my body is getting better and better by the day. I can see it and feel it. Look out beach next summer! I think I will change my pattern some tomorrow and walk maybe only 10 to 15 minutes at first to warm up and then go for the distance running, and then walk maybe another 10 minutes after to cool down. I think I notice a lot of others doing that kind of thing. Thanks for your interest. It does inspire me :blush:
  • Like 1

After endless months of phisio, I finally started running again - more or less 2 miles, 2 times a week. My foot is still mildly sore on the day after I run, but at last I feel like they´re getting stronger.

Dug this thread up, 'cause I FINALLY worked through my shin splint and knee issues and am running on a regular basis again! :7up:

I'm on week six of a couch-to-5K program, and it's the been the best thing ever! I gave up on being able to run again, especially with the shin splints. But, the program has allowed me to gradually work up to longer and longer runs, and the issues that kept me from running have all but disappeared. Because it's hotter than a thousand suns in Texas right now, I'm stuck inside on the treadmill. But, as soon as it cools off, I'm gonna run my ass off outside! I'm really excited about this. :D

• Like 2

Dug this thread up, 'cause I FINALLY worked through my shin splint and knee issues and am running on a regular basis again! :7up:

I'm on week six of a couch-to-5K program, and it's the been the best thing ever! I gave up on being able to run again, especially with the shin splints. But, the program has allowed me to gradually work up to longer and longer runs, and the issues that kept me from running have all but disappeared. Because it's hotter than a thousand suns in Texas right now, I'm stuck inside on the treadmill. But, as soon as it cools off, I'm gonna run my ass off outside! I'm really excited about this. :D

I did the "can't run a hundred yards without keeling over to 5K" about 6 months ago. I am trying to work my way back to that point after many physical setbacks in recent months. My parents are both from Texas and live in Lufkin now and its hot as HE double toothpicks there for sure. I spent many summers there as a youth. Best of luck with the endeavor. If you did it before you most certainly can again..... :cheers: Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

I did the "can't run a hundred yards without keeling over to 5K" about 6 months ago. I am trying to work my way back to that point after many physical setbacks in recent months. My parents are both from Texas and live in Lufkin now and its hot as HE double toothpicks there for sure. I spent many summers there as a youth. Best of luck with the endeavor. If you did it before you most certainly can again..... :cheers:

Thanks, Narpski! I ran and was on the track team in middle school and high school. And, I continued to run into my 20's. But, partying, laziness and then marraige and kids diverted me from running. A couple of years ago, I tried to start again. But, foolishly, I went berzerk with it instead of going gradually and ended up with a bunch of injuries and a lot of frustration. This time, I'm doing it right.

I did the "can't run a hundred yards without keeling over to 5K" about 6 months ago. I am trying to work my way back to that point after many physical setbacks in recent months. My parents are both from Texas and live in Lufkin now and its hot as HE double toothpicks there for sure. I spent many summers there as a youth. Best of luck with the endeavor. If you did it before you most certainly can again..... :cheers:

Thanks, Narpski! I ran and was on the track team in middle school and high school. And, I continued to run into my 20's. But, partying, laziness and then marraige and kids diverted me from running. A couple of years ago, I tried to start again. But, foolishly, I went berzerk with it instead of going gradually and ended up with a bunch of injuries and a lot of frustration. This time, I'm doing it right.

I was an athlete but never a runner. I decided about 15 months ago to quit the bad things for me and get in shape. I dropped about 45 pounds and running seemed the natural progression. I have never had any problems whatsoever with my body below the waist so no problem there. I worked my way slowly to the 5K. Ran my one and only last February in 28.00 and then got sick and I am slowly working my way back to this day......

Well done for exhumating the thread, sullysue and Narpski!!

I´m getting back on track again...after a whole year of physio on my left knee and foot, a few kilos gained and having my first baby, I started doing 6-8kms with no commitment to timing or performance, and now it´s starting to get "real" again. I joined a cool unning team called Street Runners, and started a program to improve my performance.

There´s a "Corporate Run" in Rio in late November, and my goal is to finish 10km in less than 50 minutes. I managed to do it today, but on the treadmill. They say that whatever you achieve on the treadmill should be deducted by 10% when you´re running on asphalt, so in theory there´s still a lot missing until I´m up to the standard I want to get to.

• Like 2

I´m getting back on track again...after a whole year of physio on my left knee and foot, a few kilos gained and having my first baby, I started doing 6-8kms with no commitment to timing or performance, and now it´s starting to get "real" again. I joined a cool unning team called Street Runners, and started a program to improve my performance.

There´s a "Corporate Run" in Rio in late November, and my goal is to finish 10km in less than 50 minutes. I managed to do it today, but on the treadmill. They say that whatever you achieve on the treadmill should be deducted by 10% when you´re running on asphalt, so in theory there´s still a lot missing until I´m up to the standard I want to get to.

Excellent! :ebert:

I laughed when I read you gained a few kilos after having your first baby! :LOL: I hope you mean your WIFE had the baby. :P

Kinda bummed to hear that when I start running outside I might not be as productive as on the treadmill. But, the point is that I'm running again. So, I'll take it!

Excellent! :ebert:

I laughed when I read you gained a few kilos after having your first baby! :LOL: I hope you mean your WIFE had the baby. :P

Kinda bummed to hear that when I start running outside I might not be as productive as on the treadmill. But, the point is that I'm running again. So, I'll take it!

Interesting when you mention the difference in the treadmill and outdoor running. When I did my 5K (which I had never done before or since) in February I did not run any outdoors to practice. I ran only on the treadmill and I never ran a 5K on the treadmill either. The most I had run continuously on the treadmill was 2 miles. I finish my 5k in 28.00 anyway. There is alot to be said for being stubborn and determined I guess..... :D

I guess so, Narpski. What I read was that if you want to do 5km on an average speed of 10km/h, for example, you should program the treadmill with 10km/h and add 1 or 1,5% of inclination.

And sullysue, the problem right after having a child is that you need to stay at home a lot longer than before, and so I started to eat MUCH more. Plus everyone that comes for a visit brings more and more food! I´ll get back on track though...give me a few weeks.

As for my wife, it´s insane how fast she´s losing weight. She´s already back to her weight from before the pregnancy and will stat training again in two or three months.

http://www.franktownestates.com/images/Washoe-Valley-Landscape-2.jpg

Well, the Reno 5000 half-marathon is Sunday. The route is through Washoe Valley, around Washoe Lake, just south of Reno. Start time is 7:30 AM.

I'm stoked!

• Like 1

I believe I´ve already posted some of the pictures below elsewhere in TRF, but just to illustrate how running has helped me keep my weight down, here´s me while I was living in Australia and working at the mines, where food is always at hand´s reach and you have nothing else to do, so you eat out of boredom - circa 2006:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/Mina_zps3072465c.png

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/adelaide_zps6539a352.jpg

And here´s me in 2010 halfway through the Rio Marathon:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/RodrigoAltaf/image003_zpsdf2a16e0.png

• Like 1

I believe I´ve already posted some of the pictures below elsewhere in TRF, but just to illustrate how running has helped me keep my weight down, here´s me while I was living in Australia and working at the mines, where food is always at hand´s reach and you have nothing else to do, so you eat out of boredom - circa 2006:

Very cool. :cheers: Me March 2013 in Florida just after hand surgery (about 225 lbs) and then me after working hard for almost a year after my 5k in February 2014 (around 180 lbs).......

http://s30.postimg.org/p393av7dt/unnamed.jpg

http://s3.postimg.org/kwkttrjmr/IMAG0593.jpg

• Like 2

Very cool. :cheers: Me March 2013 in Florida just after hand surgery (about 225 lbs) and then me after working hard for almost a year after my 5k in February 2014 (around 180 lbs).......

http://s30.postimg.org/p393av7dt/unnamed.jpg

http://s3.postimg.org/kwkttrjmr/IMAG0593.jpg

Very cool, you guys! :ebert:

I started to see some results myself. But, I think the foodfest that was the long Labor Day weekend undid a lot of it! I'll get back on track, though.

• Like 1