The Official Runner's Thread

deadwing2112

I have been DY-ing to start running again. I tried this past Spring/Early Summer, and started having trouble with my right knee. It really pissed me off, because I was more worried about getting winded early at first. I was able to make it pretty far without any breathing trouble at all! But, that stupid knee started to KILL me. I hyperextended the knee about five years ago and never had it checked out. So, now all the physical activities I love are being limited by it. I'm terrified to go to the doctor now for fear he'll say I need surgery. My question is, does anyone run with knee issues, and would a brace work? Or, am I SOL here?

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 9 2011, 11:35 AM)
I have been DY-ing to start running again. I tried this past Spring/Early Summer, and started having trouble with my right knee. It really pissed me off, because I was more worried about getting winded early at first. I was able to make it pretty far without any breathing trouble at all! But, that stupid knee started to KILL me. I hyperextended the knee about five years ago and never had it checked out. So, now all the physical activities I love are being limited by it. I'm terrified to go to the doctor now for fear he'll say I need surgery. My question is, does anyone run with knee issues, and would a brace work? Or, am I SOL here?

Think it depends on the issues?

Have you thought of having your foot/gait measured to see if your running shoes are a problem? I am considering getting mine redone at a running store because I am wondering if my injury is attributed to bad shoes.

Personally, I think braces are a crap shoot. They have never helped me but others swear by them.

I know you would hate surgery, but sometimes nipping it in the bud is best... Looking back when I first got hurt, I would have been happier leaving the docs office with a cast than still dealing with tendon issues 4 months later. At least it would be over and done with at this point.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Nov 9 2011, 11:21 AM)

Have you thought of having your foot/gait measured to see if your running shoes are a problem? I am considering getting mine redone at a running store because I am wondering if my injury is attributed to bad shoes.

Personally, I think braces are a crap shoot. They have never helped me but others swear by them.

I know you would hate surgery, but sometimes nipping it in the bud is best... Looking back when I first got hurt, I would have been happier leaving the docs office with a cast than still dealing with tendon issues 4 months later. At least it would be over and done with at this point.

I'm positive it's the old knee injury. It wasn't giving me trouble until I started running again earlier this year. I had also been doing these heavy-duty, modified squats over the summer that I think seriously aggrevated it. I've been stuck on the elliptical all summer, and I'm ready to get outdoors! And, NOTHING gives you an endorphine rush like running. I miss it a lot.

I have a REALLY good pair of New Balance running shoes. I seriously don't think that's the issue.

I wonder if taking glucosamine or chondroitin sulfate would help. I might try starting with simple asprin to help with swelling. There isn't any visible swelling, but it's worth a try.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 9 2011, 10:29 AM)

I'm positive it's the old knee injury. It wasn't giving me trouble until I started running again earlier this year. I had also been doing these heavy-duty, modified squats over the summer that I think seriously aggrevated it. I've been stuck on the elliptical all summer, and I'm ready to get outdoors! And, NOTHING gives you an endorphine rush like running. I miss it a lot.

I have a REALLY good pair of New Balance running shoes. I seriously don't think that's the issue.

I wonder if taking glucosamine or chondroitin sulfate would help. I might try starting with simple asprin to help with swelling. There isn't any visible swelling, but it's worth a try.

Ok, wait, first, this is what you want to do... go see a physical therapist. My guess is you don't need surgery at all and it's going to be more of a take ibuprofen, ice the knee and do certain stretching techniques. Unless you are running in heels, shoes aren't usually the problem as long as you are using a running shoe (as opposed to a walking shoe, court shoe, etc) and it fits your foot.

The PT is going to suggest NO running until he feels your knee is well enough to endure that form of exercise. (I messed my knee up BAD a few years ago when I was running 8-9 miles/day while pushing a jogging stroller with a two-year-old in it.) It was so bad that my knee would buckle and give out. My PT wanted me not to run at all but I still ran anyway. He was not happy with me. ohmy.gif

In the meantime, are you able to do other forms of exercise, like swimming? Do you belong to a gym or have a community center nearby? I would try light swimming to see if your knee bothers you then.

Like I said, I really think the PT is not going to suggest surgery because that is a last step approach.

OR... one other thing, if you want to try a personal experiment, before you go for a LIGHT jog, take 4 ibuprofen (I know it sounds like a lot but we're doing this as a one-time experiment), ice your knee (by placing a number of ice cubes in a dry washcloth and leaving it on long enough for the knee to go numb - a time long enough where you find yourself saying, "Sweet Jesus get these ice cubes off my knee.") and then lay on your back and do a few stretches like bringing your knee up to your chin. Then, head out for a jog and pay close attention to how your knee feels. If you have any discomfort, I would stop and certainly contact a PT.

Keep us posted and good luck!

ETA: Running and squats puts a lot of strain on the ol' knees. I really would avoid any exercise that's going to be taxing on your knees. Trust me, I know exactly how you feel about running outdoors. It is my favorite form of exercise. But, you don't want to further any injury because if you do, you won't be able to run at all. And that would be a major bummer.

Edited by Janie

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 9 2011, 04:06 PM)

Ok, wait, first, this is what you want to do... go see a physical therapist. My guess is you don't need surgery at all and it's going to be more of a take ibuprofen, ice the knee and do certain stretching techniques. Unless you are running in heels, shoes aren't usually the problem as long as you are using a running shoe (as opposed to a walking shoe, court shoe, etc) and it fits your foot.

The PT is going to suggest NO running until he feels your knee is well enough to endure that form of exercise. (I messed my knee up BAD a few years ago when I was running 8-9 miles/day while pushing a jogging stroller with a two-year-old in it.) It was so bad that my knee would buckle and give out. My PT wanted me not to run at all but I still ran anyway. He was not happy with me. ohmy.gif

In the meantime, are you able to do other forms of exercise, like swimming? Do you belong to a gym or have a community center nearby? I would try light swimming to see if your knee bothers you then.

Like I said, I really think the PT is not going to suggest surgery because that is a last step approach.

OR... one other thing, if you want to try a personal experiment, before you go for a LIGHT jog, take 4 ibuprofen (I know it sounds like a lot but we're doing this as a one-time experiment), ice your knee (by placing a number of ice cubes in a dry washcloth and leaving it on long enough for the knee to go numb - a time long enough where you find yourself saying, "Sweet Jesus get these ice cubes off my knee.") and then lay on your back and do a few stretches like bringing your knee up to your chin. Then, head out for a jog and pay close attention to how your knee feels. If you have any discomfort, I would stop and certainly contact a PT.

ETA: Running and squats puts a lot of strain on the ol' knees. I really would avoid any exercise that's going to be taxing on your knees. Trust me, I know exactly how you feel about running outdoors. It is my favorite form of exercise. But, you don't want to further any injury because if you do, you won't be able to run at all. And that would be a major bummer.

That's a good idea to see a PT. But, like you, I'd be disregarding orders probably right away. I do a lot of stairs at work, too. And, there is NO WAY I'm going to stop doing that. I'd fall asleep at my desk. Those stairs I'm sure have done a number on my knee, too.

I was going to go out tonight to try a short run, but I won't have time. But, I'll try the ice and ibuprofen when I do go out.

Thanks. smile.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 9 2011, 05:01 PM)

That's a good idea to see a PT. But, like you, I'd be disregarding orders probably right away. I do a lot of stairs at work, too. And, there is NO WAY I'm going to stop doing that. I'd fall asleep at my desk. Those stairs I'm sure have done a number on my knee, too.

I was going to go out tonight to try a short run, but I won't have time. But, I'll try the ice and ibuprofen when I do go out.

Thanks. smile.gif

I TOTALLY know how hard it is to cut back when you don't want too. Back when I was running 8 miles a day, the PT told me not to run at all. I looked at him right in the eyes and said, "That is not going to happen. I just want to be honest with you." He shot me one of those roll the eyes/smirk look and said, "Ok, then just run two miles.... if you must." All I heard was two miles so instead of running eight miles, I ran six. But I stopped running with the jogging stroller so I figured I was ok. And I was but still... you sound like you have a more serious injury so just be careful. Like I said before, if you keep putting stress and strain on a current injury, it can't heal, if it can't heal then you possibly are looking at surgery. So, just be reasonable and listen to your body.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 9 2011, 06:08 PM)

Thanks. smile.gif

I TOTALLY know how hard it is to cut back when you don't want too. Back when I was running 8 miles a day, the PT told me not to run at all. I looked at him right in the eyes and said, "That is not going to happen. I just want to be honest with you." He shot me one of those roll the eyes/smirk look and said, "Ok, then just run two miles.... if you must." All I heard was two miles so instead of running eight miles, I ran six. But I stopped running with the jogging stroller so I figured I was ok. And I was but still... you sound like you have a more serious injury so just be careful. Like I said before, if you keep putting stress and strain on a current injury, it can't heal, if it can't heal then you possibly are looking at surgery. So, just be reasonable and listen to your body.

laugh.gif

I know. sad.gif But, it's a case of I used to be able to do this, so I should be able to now. Damnit! angry.gif

I guess I'll need to stick to the elliptical for now. But, don't be surprised if you see me posting in here that I went out to run. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 9 2011, 05:19 PM)

Thanks. smile.gif

laugh.gif

I know. sad.gif But, it's a case of I used to be able to do this, so I should be able to now. Damnit! angry.gif

I guess I'll need to stick to the elliptical for now. But, don't be surprised if you see me posting in here that I went out to run. ph34r.gif

The only reason you should be out running is if I'm chasing your butt down. tongue.gif

I know, I shouldn't talk. Just be.... reasonable. Be careful and stop running if your knee is painful.

Good luck out there!

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 9 2011, 07:25 PM)

Thanks. smile.gif

laugh.gif

The only reason you should be out running is if I'm chasing your butt down. tongue.gif

I know, I shouldn't talk. Just be.... reasonable. Be careful and stop running if your knee is painful.

Good luck out there!

What I always do when my knees are not ok (I've had 3 injuries so far in 10 years of running) is going to the pool for a few laps. Try to vary styles too, with a few backstrokes and butterflies here and there, otherwise it gets too boring. It's absolutely not the same in terms of THAT adrenaline rush us runners need so much, but at least it helps you relax the muscles and increase your aerobic capacity.

I did this last year, and when I was able to run again, I noticed the recovery was much quicker, and performance-wise it took me a lot less time to get to the same level as before my injury.

Having PT's, docs and fellow running buddies tell me not to run was a tough pill to swallow. But, I took off a good two months - still did other non-weight baring activities (probably should have stopped those too). Did it help? Not sure, I'm still trying to get back on my feet. I was at 20-30 miles a week, now am down to less than 10. I ran 3 yesterday, for the first time since this all came on, had the least amount of tightness and no pain.

Maybe I didn;t rest enough. Maybe rest is not what I needed and my shoes are an issue. Perhaps all the cross training I did (including jumping jacks and squats) led me to issues. I might never know, but I try to listen to my body and value what rest can give it.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Nov 10 2011, 11:58 AM)
Having PT's, docs and fellow running buddies tell me not to run was a tough pill to swallow. But, I took off a good two months - still did other non-weight baring activities (probably should have stopped those too). Did it help? Not sure, I'm still trying to get back on my feet. I was at 20-30 miles a week, now am down to less than 10. I ran 3 yesterday, for the first time since this all came on, had the least amount of tightness and no pain.

Maybe I didn;t rest enough. Maybe rest is not what I needed and my shoes are an issue. Perhaps all the cross training I did (including jumping jacks and squats) led me to issues. I might never know, but I try to listen to my body and value what rest can give it.

I'm not a doctor, but I'm thinking this could be a recurring injury due to excess use...

I have the ilio-tibial band syndrome, and if I want to carry on running, I'm condemned to doing weights to strengthen my leg muscles 2-3 times a week. Last year was the second time I had this and no doctor seemed to find out what I had, until Mr. Google helped me define what exactly the issue was. I did some pilates, accupuncture and phisio, but what really helped was the stretching classes and the squats, leg extensions, bench presses etc. I started running again earlier this year, and already did one half marathon, a few 10km and 16km runs.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Nov 10 2011, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Nov 10 2011, 11:58 AM)
Having PT's, docs and fellow running buddies tell me not to run was a tough pill to swallow.  But, I took off a good two months - still did other non-weight baring activities (probably should have stopped those too).  Did it help?  Not sure, I'm still trying to get back on my feet.  I was at 20-30 miles a week, now am down to less than 10.  I ran 3 yesterday, for the first time since this all came on, had the least amount of tightness and no pain. 

Maybe I didn;t rest enough.  Maybe rest is not what I needed and my shoes are an issue.  Perhaps all the cross training I did (including jumping jacks and squats) led me to issues.  I might never know, but I try to listen to my body and value what rest can give it.

I'm not a doctor, but I'm thinking this could be a recurring injury due to excess use...

I have the ilio-tibial band syndrome, and if I want to carry on running, I'm condemned to doing weights to strengthen my leg muscles 2-3 times a week. Last year was the second time I had this and no doctor seemed to find out what I had, until Mr. Google helped me define what exactly the issue was. I did some pilates, accupuncture and phisio, but what really helped was the stretching classes and the squats, leg extensions, bench presses etc. I started running again earlier this year, and already did one half marathon, a few 10km and 16km runs.

Two words: Foam Roller.

Helped both my IT band from a couple years back and I believe is helping my peroneal tendonitis. Hurts an awful lot to roll it but it helps circulate the blood to the tendons, which facilitates healing.

I've done a ton of reading about both these issues and I can trace them back to having horribly weak hips (!) In fact, the PT told me to do side leg lifts to strengthen my peroneals (tendons run from knee to foot) I've always joked that, as a woman, I was born with no butt or hips - both are flat and resemble a boyish figure. Now I am learning it causes me running injuries!

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Nov 10 2011, 12:49 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 9 2011, 07:25 PM)

Thanks. smile.gif

laugh.gif

Good luck out there!

What I always do when my knees are not ok (I've had 3 injuries so far in 10 years of running) is going to the pool for a few laps. Try to vary styles too, with a few backstrokes and butterflies here and there, otherwise it gets too boring. It's absolutely not the same in terms of THAT adrenaline rush us runners need so much, but at least it helps you relax the muscles and increase your aerobic capacity.

I did this last year, and when I was able to run again, I noticed the recovery was much quicker, and performance-wise it took me a lot less time to get to the same level as before my injury.

I try to go swimming at least twice a week and I've found it to be wonderful on my knees and hips. It's also completely relaxing. I've never been a big swimmer before but have been getting into it lately.

I'd LOVE to swim. And, I could get a membership to the super fancy club across from my office for a good price. But, it's not at all convenient, time-wise. I have virtually no lunch hour, and it's straight home to the kids every night. The clubs around where I live cost a ton to join. sad.gif

I made an appointment with my GP. I'll see him the first week of Dec. Wish me luck. I'm a little nervous, to be honest. sad.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 10 2011, 09:36 PM)
I'd LOVE to swim. And, I could get a membership to the super fancy club across from my office for a good price. But, it's not at all convenient, time-wise. I have virtually no lunch hour, and it's straight home to the kids every night. The clubs around where I live cost a ton to join.  sad.gif

I made an appointment with my GP. I'll see him the first week of Dec. Wish me luck. I'm a little nervous, to be honest.  sad.gif

Check to see if your gym has a drop-in childcare center. Mine does and the kids love it.

I truly don't think you have anything to be worried about. I really think it's a stress injury that just needs to be dealt with. Tell your GP that you want to see a PT and get their opinion on what is going to be best for you knee.

And remember, if you have an injury and keep working out, not allowing the injury to heal, you only cause additional injury and your recovery time is that much longer. (Check with your insurance to see if you need a referall to a PT. If you don't, then you can skim the whole GP route.)

Edited by Janie

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 11 2011, 12:18 AM)

And remember, if you have an injury and keep working out, not allowing the injury to heal, you only cause additional injury and your recovery time is that much longer.

This.

Been there, done that, and regret it big time. If you're in pain, as much as it anoys you to stop exercising, it's the best thing to do. I know it sucks because we're all desperate for that adrenaline rush, but the sensible thing is to stop right away, or you could easily add a few more weeks or months on your recovery time.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 11 2011, 09:00 AM)
I got my appointment moved up to Nov. 28. You guys have me paranoid, so I'll go ahead and lay off the running for now and I'll take it easy on the stairs until I see the doc.

I think it's good that you bumped up your appt.

I didn't mean to freak you out! I just wanted you to try and take it easy on the knee until you could see a doctor. Let us know how the visit goes. smile.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 15 2011, 02:19 PM)
I got my appointment moved up to Nov. 28. You guys have me paranoid, so I'll go ahead and lay off the running for now and I'll take it easy on the stairs until I see the doc.

I didn't mean to freak you out! I just wanted you to try and take it easy on the knee until you could see a doctor. Let us know how the visit goes. smile.gif

No, it's cool. I haven't been out running, but I've been on the stairs. ph34r.gif Still doing the elliptical, which is low impact enough, I'm not too worried about it.

I'm more anxious than ever to have this looked at. My knee cap is starting to pop every once in a while while I'm walking. That can't be good.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 15 2011, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 15 2011, 02:19 PM)

No, it's cool. I haven't been out running, but I've been on the stairs. ph34r.gif Still doing the elliptical, which is low impact enough, I'm not too worried about it.

I'm more anxious than ever to have this looked at. My knee cap is starting to pop every once in a while while I'm walking. That can't be good.

As scary as it might feel and sound, "popping" (9 times out of 10) is a result from injury and overuse. Everything I'm hearing is telling me you've simply been asking a bit too much from your knee. In fact, if you see your doctor and any mention of surgery comes from his mouth, go get a second opinion. I think first, you need to see a PT (preferably a sports PT). I really think this is what you're going to hear:

- apply ice (for swelling)

- take ibuprofen (for swelling)

- take acetaminophen (for pain)

- apply strength-training exercises to the muscles around the knee

- avoid high-impact activities

And I would be surprised and shocked to hear otherwise. If you were in massive amounts of pain all the time and were unable to walk or bend your knee, then I would think that's when the topic of surgery would be brought up.