Things that piss Rush Fans off.

The Owl

When I mention that I'm a big Rush fan and someone pipes up and says, "Oh, I'm a Dittohead too!" sarcasm.gif

('Dittoheads' are followers of egotistical loudmouth radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh, for those who are scratching their heads and saying, "huh?").

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The voice thing really gets me sometimes. I've adored Geddy's vocals for as long as I can remember (reportedly, when I was two I became a conscious fan, according to my mom) and it just really bugs me when people diss him. I was camping this summer and the people we were camping with brought a CD player, so I brought a compilation of my favorite songs I had made and we listened to it. I had this conversation with a little girl during Lakeside Park:

"Is that a boy or a girl?"

"Boy."

*laughs* "His voice sounds funny! Are you sure it's a boy?"

"Yes."

*Pause* "REALLY??"

"Yes! Look I have a picture of him right here!"

Of course, then the conversation became, "Why do you always carry a picture of him in your purse?"

pokey.gif

QUOTE (gypsy_owl @ Sep 18 2008, 08:47 AM)

"Yes! Look I have a picture of him right here!"

Of course, then the conversation became, "Why do you always carry a picture of him in your purse?"

pokey.gif

I can relate to that! When I was in high school all the girls had DuranDuran and George Michael picture in their lockers. I had Rush pictures.

I get asked about my screensaver at work now! laugh.gif "Who's the drummer guy on your screensaver? What's your obsession with him?"

I remember that in "News Weater Sports" from this last tour Neil mentioned the Atlantic City show....he mentioned that the first few rows were reserved as comps for big gamblers.....and the tickets did no go to fans.........

These people don't deserve to be in the front row...........as a Rush fan, that would have pissed me off (had I tried to persue 1st row tickets for the Atlantic city show)

QUOTE (Finbar @ Mar 7 2007, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 7 2007, 11:25 PM)
2. Rap Music

no.gif

Rush fans who are so closed minded about rap, yet can't understand others being closed minded about Rush.

Thank you! yes.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Imperatrix @ Sep 18 2008, 10:46 AM)
2. Rap Music

no.gif

Rush fans who are so closed minded about rap, yet can't understand others being closed minded about Rush.

I've tried Rap music.......the lyrical aspect of it is really talented.........i'll admit to that.

Musically I just cannot connect to it........I need a guitar, I need a Bass, I need dynamics, solos, melidoies...etc.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 18 2008, 08:59 AM)
2. Rap Music

no.gif

I've tried Rap music.......the lyrical aspect of it is really talented.........i'll admit to that.

Musically I just cannot connect to it........I need a guitar, I need a Bass, I need dynamics, solos, melidoies...etc.

You might find Gorillaz to your liking; have you ever heard 'em?

De La Soul is another great group!

"Sub-woofers in cars."

Thank you very much for saying that. What the hell is the purpose for having a subwoofer for music?! I have never understood that. And in cars they are the worst. A wiser person than I said "The music is in the midrange". They are correct.

Most of what pisses me off about the way people react to Rush has been expressed here. The way I can't even mention Rush in certain circles without the rolling of the eyes, and the way some people bash Rush just because they know what a huge fan I am. For most, if it doesn't "have a good beat, and you can dance to it" they want nothing to do with it. Morons... tongue.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Broncos730 @ Sep 18 2008, 03:16 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Mar 8 2007, 12:25 AM)
Any review that describes them as having "Randian, sci-fi lyrics".

ha no kidding. "Geddy and his banshee wail and the sci fi lyrics. Oh for fecks sake the 1970s ended about 28 years ago

And then there are those who describe Geddy's voice as falsetto! How clueless can these critics get? wacko.gif

QUOTE (Mark @ Mar 9 2007, 07:10 AM)
For the past 100 years I've heard every criticism of Rush (most have already been posted in this thread). That's OK. I understand that Rush is not everyone's cup of tea. They shouldn't be. Everyone has their own taste(s) in music. I guess the negative stuff used to bother me years ago but now that I'm old and smelly I just don't care what anyone says. To me, our boys do not have equals, will never have equals, and that makes them special to me.

Say what you want. I don't care. I will just laugh at you and your small penis.

Dude, don't be checking out other guys junk, it's not kosher.

QUOTE (Broncos730 @ Sep 18 2008, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (Mark @ Mar 9 2007, 07:10 AM)
For the past 100 years I've heard every criticism of Rush (most have already been posted in this thread).  That's OK.  I understand that Rush is not everyone's cup of tea.  They shouldn't be.  Everyone has their own taste(s) in music.  I guess the negative stuff used to bother me years ago but now that I'm old and smelly I just don't care what anyone says.  To me, our boys do not have equals, will never have equals, and that makes them special to me.

Say what you want.  I don't care.  I will just laugh at you and your small penis.

Dude, don't be checking out other guys junk, it's not kosher.

May I point out that no guy's "junk" has ever been depicted on any Rush album cover. Bare-asses don't really count. moon.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Sep 18 2008, 12:42 PM)
"Sub-woofers in cars."

Thank you very much for saying that. What the hell is the purpose for having a subwoofer for music?! I have never understood that. And in cars they are the worst. A wiser person than I said "The music is in the midrange". They are correct.

No they are not.

The human ear can hear from 20hz to 20,000hz. If you have a typical small speakered car system or shelf stereo it may go down to 100 or 80hz which means you can miss over 2 octaves of music range.

Now - not debating that booming car stereos that play one frequency very loudly (and sometimes very badly) can be annoying and I would not consider the owner an audiophile. They can give subwoofers a bad name - no doubt!

But to say the last 2 octaves of music are immaterial and unimportant is harldy an enlightened point - sorry. I prefer bass guitars, synth, and bass drum replicated with their true dynamic response.

rantoff.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 18 2008, 11:59 AM)
2. Rap Music

no.gif

It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back is a musical masterpiece. NOTHING sounded like it before it was released.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 18 2008, 03:44 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 18 2008, 11:59 AM)
2. Rap Music

no.gif

It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back is a musical masterpiece. NOTHING sounded like it before it was released.

Agreed. Public Enemy are true pioneers. Also "Paul's Boutique" by the Beastie Boys. That's a good one too!

QUOTE (Broncos730 @ Sep 18 2008, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Sep 18 2008, 12:42 PM)
"Sub-woofers in cars."

Thank you very much for saying that. What the hell is the purpose for having a subwoofer for music?! I have never understood that. And in cars they are the worst.  A wiser person than I said "The music is in the midrange". They are correct.

No they are not.

The human ear can hear from 20hz to 20,000hz. If you have a typical small speakered car system or shelf stereo it may go down to 100 or 80hz which means you can miss over 2 octaves of music range.

Now - not debating that booming car stereos that play one frequency very loudly (and sometimes very badly) can be annoying and I would not consider the owner an audiophile. They can give subwoofers a bad name - no doubt!

But to say the last 2 octaves of music are immaterial and unimportant is harldy an enlightened point - sorry. I prefer bass guitars, synth, and bass drum replicated with their true dynamic response.

rantoff.gif

Agreed, anyone who's ever seen and/or listened to live music knows that there is alot more to it than just the mid-range. The problem is that some people try to cram too big a sub-woofer(s) into their vehicles. They may look cool and impressive, but they often sound like shit. There is such a thing as too much, especially in smaller vehicles.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 18 2008, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 18 2008, 04:58 PM)
What pisses me off as a Rush fan?  The fact that Malignant Narcissism is only 2:16 minutes long.  angry.gif

It's a shredding guitar solo away from being a masterpiece!

yes.gif

Archived