Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Feb 4 2006, 05:23 PM)
Anybody notice two bass lines in portions of Ceiling Unlimited? 

Yeah. You'll notice the same thing happening during the second verse onward in "Ghost Rider" and on "Vapor Trail" as well. So far as I can tell, Geddy originally the verse riff of "Driven" as a combination of overdubs; one sustained "A" per measure (that I believe he triggers with the MIDI pedals live), and then two harmonized parts that go along with the guitar riff on the D and G strings. As a matter of fact, I think he does something very similar during the breakdown. Cool stuff.

Edited by tepes22b

QUOTE (tepes22b @ Feb 5 2006, 08:24 AM)
QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Feb 4 2006, 05:23 PM)
Anybody notice two bass lines in portions of Ceiling Unlimited? 

Yeah. You'll notice the same thing happening during the second verse onward in "Ghost Rider" and on "Vapor Trail" as well. So far as I can tell, Geddy originally the verse riff of "Driven" as a combination of overdubs; one sustained "A" per measure (that I believe he triggers with the MIDI pedals live), and then two harmonized parts that go along with the guitar riff on the D and G strings. As a matter of fact, I think he does something very similar during the breakdown. Cool stuff.

goodpost.gif now, that's just COOL.

Couldn't find the Presto thing...too much background noise and I was too busy to really search for it. Did notice another that always gets my attention:

On ATWAS, which I just got as a remaster, the intro to In the End always gets me...Geddy is playing so high on the frets he might actually be hitting his pickups. It really sounds like a regular guitar at first.

I recently broke my old disc of ATWAS, and it has been since I had a turntable that I heard that version of "what you're doing". While it's not my fav from the debut album, I did find the experience rather sublime. I'm always amazed at how close they almost play note for note w/ the studio versions.

I also noted that Geddy and Alex used to play in synch, note for note on many of the old songs...ie. Anthem, during the solo in Working Man, etc. Man, I miss that.

2.gif

The Fountain Of Lamneth Crunch

This is interesting, and I wonder what it could be. There is this crunching sound, sort of like someone stepping on gravel. The good news is, you don't have to go 14 minutes into the song to hear it. It's at the very beginning during Alex's acoustic intro. Listen exactly at 0.19 seconds. It's clearly there.

Let me know if you hear it too. smile.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 28 2006, 07:49 PM)

This is interesting, and I wonder what it could be. There is this crunching sound, sort of like someone stepping on gravel. The good news is, you don't have to go 14 minutes into the song to hear it. It's at the very beginning during Alex's acoustic intro. Listen exactly at 0.19 seconds. It's clearly there.

Let me know if you hear it too. smile.gif

Now I've got an excuse to break out COS! It's been a while!

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Feb 28 2006, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 28 2006, 07:49 PM)

This is interesting, and I wonder what it could be.  There is this crunching sound, sort of like someone stepping on gravel.  The good news is, you don't have to go 14 minutes into the song to hear it.  It's at the very beginning during Alex's acoustic intro.  Listen exactly at 0.19 seconds.  It's clearly there.

Let me know if you hear it too.  smile.gif

Now I've got an excuse to break out COS! It's been a while!

Snow, I am on an addiction ride with this CD. I can't listen to it enough, lately. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hemisphers Cygnus X-1 Book two when Geddy sings "when all at once the choas ceased"

Makes me all tingly! 2.gif

Broones Bane and the Trees on Exit stage Left. My first memory of Rush. My friend got me into them with that piece and that was '84 and I was a complete metal head

So many to mention, I'll have to replay the entire library.

My very favorite at the moment is the sound on Resist accoustic version.

QUOTE (MrMiltonBanana @ Feb 28 2006, 10:00 PM)
I like the part in Every Rush song where its a rush song.

Those parts are awesome.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

An excellent contribution to this thread. Thanks!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Disco @ Feb 1 2006, 04:01 PM)
Right, here's one.

There's an extraneous sound in Red Lenses during the drum break down, a high pitch 'whup'.  It's at 3:17.642 and it's very quiet, you have to listen carefully.

I don't think it's meant to be there, just a sound that crept in somehow. Check it out...

Love

Disco

I HEARD IT!!

Man that's EXACTLY what this whole thread it about. WOW!! This one's AWESOME!

THANKS!! trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

My all-time favorite keyboard sound is played by Geddy in the song Turn the Page. It's the two arpeggiated chords in the break just before he sings Everyday we're standin' in a time capsule. The second time this sound appears is after the guitar solo when he plays three chords and sings it's just the age, it's just a stage and THEN IT COMES AGAIN OMG IT'S SO PHAT! laugh.gif

Another favorite is Geddy's bass line in the second verse of Territories. Flawless.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 28 2006, 11:07 PM)
Right, here's one.

There's an extraneous sound in Red Lenses during the drum break down, a high pitch 'whup'.  It's at 3:17.642 and it's very quiet, you have to listen carefully.

I don't think it's meant to be there, just a sound that crept in somehow. Check it out...

Love

Disco

I HEARD IT!!

THANKS!! trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

Pahs - I'm so glad you checked out the sound on Red Lenses, you were so in my mind when I posted that, I thought it might be just the thing you like...

Disco

The bass in Freewill.

QUOTE (thestand @ Mar 1 2006, 02:34 PM)
The first few seconds of keys in Time and Motion. I've been on a T4E kick recently, and that's one of my favorite seconds. I wish they kept it short though, I thought it quickly became overdone.

It's my favorite element of the song. I love how during the third time it's cut short.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Disco @ Mar 1 2006, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 28 2006, 11:07 PM)
Right, here's one.

Love

Disco

I HEARD IT!!

Pahs - I'm so glad you checked out the sound on Red Lenses, you were so in my mind when I posted that, I thought it might be just the thing you like...

Disco

laugh.gif COOL

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Mar 1 2006, 02:38 PM)
the 'computerized clinics' part of Natural Science

There's a lot of cool things going on in that song. I like the wierd pulsating sound right as "Tide Pools" fades into "Hyperspace," and then the crazy 7/8 riff comes in and hits you right in the nose. It's a powerful moment.

background synth on the first part of Heresy,quite nice.outstanding if you listen very hard