Great 'sounds' in the songs

Pags

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Apr 7 2005, 07:50 PM)
Some other special Rush moments for me:
2112 - * Discovery, where he's picking at the guitar and slowly draws a joyful chord out of it. (I think it's a chord, I don't know guitar playing).
* The opening to The oracle. It's so melodic and ethereal, I get chills.
AFTK - In Closer To The Heart where Geddy says "Whoa Whoa!" right before the "You can be the captain.." verse.
Permanent Waves - In Natural Science where right after Geddy says "...our causes can see their effects.", the snappy drum fill Neil does there.
Hemisperes - The guitar solo in The Trees. Also in the same solo where Neil punctuates
it with gourds or whatever they are.
Moving Pictures - In Red Barchetta right after Geddy says "...to where my white haired uncle waits.", where the song really picks up the pace and the drum fills Neil does. (Do you see a pattern here? Can anyone tell I'm a fan of Neil's and of drumming?)
* The drumming Neil does before each section in The Camera Eye.
Signals - At the end of Digital Man where Geddy makes it sound like he's bored and says "Because he happens to be a...digital...man
GUP - *The guitar solo in Kid Gloves and the drumming Neil does in it.
* The guitar solo in Between The Wheels.
* The guitar solo in Afterimage. I'd swear the guitar is weeping.
Power Windows - At the beginning of The Big Money right after Geddy says "...big
money make no sound." that rip up the guitar fret that Alex does. It sounds
like WOW!
* In Middletown Dreams where Geddy lets out an anguished cry right after
the verse: "Another day as drab as today, is more than a man can endure."
* The drumming in Mystic Rhythms, in certain parts it sounds like it's coming
from the other side of reality.
Hold Your Fire - * The outro solo in Open Secrets.
* At the end of Prime Mover where the words just kind of soar and
never end; they just fade away: "Anything CAAAaaa..." This one I think is my all time favorite Rush moment. Can you see the gooseflesh on my arm?
* The opening drum sequence in High Water.
ASOH - The guitar solo in Witch Hunt.
* The party-like ending they tacked on to Closer To The Heart. I love
the way it builds and builds and explodes into that machine gun drumming
Neil does.
Presto - * In Superconductor where at the end of the song where Geddy says "That's
entertainment." You can hear the sarcasm in his voice.
* In Hand Over Fist where Geddy says "I feel my spirit resist, but I open up
my fist. Lay hand over hand over..hand over fist..."
* The guitar solo in Available Light. It sounds so plaintive I wanna cry.
Roll The Bones - The outro solo to You Bet Your Life.
Test For Echo - The drum fill that comes in right after the guitar solo and right before
Geddy starts singing again.
Vapor Trails -* The in-your-face-ending to Ghost Rider. Every time I hear it I wanna
shout "F*ck Yea!"
* The drumming at the end of Secret Touch.
* That little playful riff at the end of Out Of The Cradle gets me every
time.
Well that's about it until I think of some others, and I'm sure I will. An hour from now I'm gonna slap my forehead and say "Why didn't you include that one!?"

goodpost.gif

Wow, nice post. I appreciate the time and effort you put into that. 2.gif

I just know I'll get grilled for this but should guitar solo's really count as "great sounds"? I mean they are fairly hefty parts of the song sometimes.

One that comes to mind to me is the to forced harmonics Alex plays in Different strings in the second verse.

Really enjoy Geddy's keyboard and bass in Time And Motion, simple yet beautifully melodic. Also bassline in Xanadu where Geddy starts his walking line, remember that. Also second drum fill from Neil from Subdivisions, odd time as always and hard to copy. Damn that guy!

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Apr 24 2005, 09:14 AM)
I just discovered something pretty cool.

On Xanadu, at about 1:51, you can hear footsteps.

Go on, give it a listen!

Playing it now...........you have to listen real carefully.

Perhaps its someone bringing the tea at Rockfield studios laugh.gif

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Apr 24 2005, 04:14 AM)
I just discovered something pretty cool.

On Xanadu, at about 1:51, you can hear footsteps.

Go on, give it a listen!

Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif You got the idea. Thanks for providing the specific time. I gave it a listen. It think it's in the right channel only. Not sure if footsteps or not, but very cool.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 26 2004, 10:40 PM)
Ok folks. Over the years of listening to every niche and detail of Rush tunes. I've heard some incredible sounds nestled within the layers. It could be a slight slide on a guitar string, or a keyboard trigger, or a sound effect...

What cool stuff have you heard that would normally escape a casual ear?

As I think through some tunes I'm sure I'll remember or find plenty.. but to get things started, here's a few from the top of my head.
  • Totem - during the 2nd chorus in parallel with Geddy singing the word Monsters.... there is this twang sound in the background. Listen carefully for it.
  • Secret Touch - at precisely 4:00, have your balance all the way on the Left channel. Awesome little slide sound from what I think is the guitar.
  • Roll The Bones - During the final chorus, has anyone ever noticed the 'skeleton' saying "Because we're here" along with the vocals? You have to listen really hard, but it's there. It's the same "Because we're here" that blares out at the end of the live version. It's actually easier to make out as the music is fading.
I have some others, but would like to hear from you!! What stuff have you heard? Also, tell me what you think about the three I mentioned above.

The music underneith the violin solo in Losing it comes to mind. Its an inhanced version of the music under the vocal line in the second verse. quite graphic for sure.

Another lil but huge effect in a song is the way da boys used such subtle music behind the discription of a war then the loud punchy hard rock sound during the silence of that war coming to a complete stop in Hemispheres. Brilliant comcept indeed! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I love the heavy triple slap on the bass during marathon, right after "In the long run..."

I couldn't believe it when I heard the lyrics "Rising falling at force ten, we twist the world and ride the wind" in the backgroun in Force Ten. I thought those lyrics weren't sung, I read them but never heard them. Very cool.

Also the part where Xanadu speeds up I always get stuck in my head.

And I love the first guitar solo-type thing during La Villa Strangiato near the beginning. The whole effect is amazing of that sound, I have to say I think the best version is from the A Dessert Passage boot. I love rocking to this song in the car, waving my finger like a conducter during this part. The crazy timing of this song must make me look like a lunatic to the other drivers as I drum away on the steering wheel, making weird faces.

Edited by tkotitan

I love the way Geddy's voice sounds in Grand Designs, when he goes 'different degrees'. In the beginning of the word different, he sounds almost ethereal... I love it.

QUOTE (tkotitan @ May 4 2005, 04:00 PM)
I love the heavy triple slap on the bass during marathon, right after "In the long run..."

I couldn't believe it when I heard the lyrics "Rising falling at force ten, we twist the world and ride the wind" in the backgroun in Force Ten. I thought those lyrics weren't sung, I read them but never heard them. Very cool.

Also the part where Xanadu speeds up I always get stuck in my head.

And I love the first guitar solo-type thing during La Villa Strangiato near the beginning. The whole effect is amazing of that sound, I have to say I think the best version is from the A Dessert Passage boot. I love rocking to this song in the car, waving my finger like a conducter during this part. The crazy timing of this song must make me look like a lunatic to the other drivers as I drum away on the steering wheel, making weird faces.

Not weird, different! I have Signals turned up, full blast, in my MINIVAN!, on the way to work. I have a Sony XPlode system, six XPlode speakers and a Bazooka subwoofer in the back. Talk about stares! Everyone in traffic is looking for the punk with the bass bandpass, and it's me! I love it, and I'm rockin' out singing at the top of my lungs to Analog Kid. They're all jealous! (Deep down, anyway...... unsure.gif )

I absolutely love the cracking noises and the digital distortion during the chorus of Earthshine! Lot's of great moments like that on Vapor Trails!

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 6 2005, 02:58 PM)
By the way, who does the high pitched laugh at the start of Force Ten?

I always assumed it was Aimee Mann.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 6 2005, 04:58 PM)
I absolutely love the cracking noises and the digital distortion during the chorus of Earthshine! Lot's of great moments like that on Vapor Trails!

You said it, bro. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 7 2005, 09:45 AM)
What distortion? unsure.gif

laugh.gif

They did an astounding job of adding 'atmosphere' and 'ambiance' to VT -- and they did it without blatent sound effects or keyboards. The more you listen, the more you hear. Pedro's right, VT is packed with 'sounds'.

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 7 2005, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 7 2005, 09:45 AM)
What distortion? unsure.gif

laugh.gif

They did an astounding job of adding 'atmosphere' and 'ambiance' to VT -- and they did it without blatent sound effects or keyboards. The more you listen, the more you hear. Pedro's right, VT is packed with 'sounds'.

I love VT, despite whatever noise exists on it. So I'm with you guys. cool.gif