Anyone an optometrist?

D-13

I was just randomly watching a movie...and all of a sudden I noticed something...my right eye...pretty much my peripheral vision was distorted...kinda like wavy lines. It was so bad that I looked straight ahead and placed my hand so I could see it in my peripheral area....I could barely see my hand! ohmy.gif unsure.gif I said...ok...maybe it's just me looking at the computer screen too much...took a nap...it kinda helped...but it took another hour before it was completely gone. My eyes are fine now...so I have no clue what the f**k was going on...scary moment man! This stuff scared the shit outta me. I'm making an appointment with the eye doc for next weekend for a checkup. I hope it's nothing serious.

unsure.gif

moral of the story...get your eyes checked regularly. unsure.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 21 2007, 07:11 PM)
I was just randomly watching a movie...and all of a sudden I noticed something...my right eye...pretty much my peripheral vision was distorted...kinda like wavy lines. It was so bad that I looked straight ahead and placed my hand so I could see it in my peripheral area....I could barely see my hand! ohmy.gif unsure.gif I said...ok...maybe it's just me looking at the computer screen too much...took a nap...it kinda helped...but it took another hour before it was completely gone. My eyes are fine now...so I have no clue what the f**k was going on...scary moment man! This stuff scared the shit outta me. I'm making an appointment with the eye doc for next weekend for a checkup. I hope it's nothing serious.

unsure.gif

moral of the story...get your eyes checked regularly. unsure.gif

You may have had a piece of lint or debris in your eye that wasn't easily seen, possibly distorting your vision? confused13.gif

Were you laying down right beforehand?

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 21 2007, 05:15 PM)
I was just randomly watching a movie...and all of a sudden I noticed something...my right eye...pretty much my peripheral vision was distorted...kinda like wavy lines.  It was so bad that I looked straight ahead and placed my hand so I could see it in my peripheral area....I could barely see my hand!    ohmy.gif  unsure.gif  I said...ok...maybe it's just me looking at the computer screen too much...took a nap...it kinda helped...but it took another hour before it was completely gone.  My eyes are fine now...so I have no clue what the f**k was going on...scary moment man!  This stuff scared the shit outta me.  I'm making an appointment with the eye doc for next weekend for a checkup.  I hope it's nothing serious. 

unsure.gif

moral of the story...get your eyes checked regularly.  unsure.gif

You may have had a piece of lint or debris in your eye that wasn't easily seen, possibly distorting your vision? confused13.gif

Were you laying down right beforehand?

no I was just sitting at the computer. I know what your thinking...getting up too fast...headrush. I thought about that too...but I was sitting upright watching a movie...it was like that though...just in wavy lines. It was odd. Never had this before. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 21 2007, 05:46 PM)
Possible migraine also. They all don't hurt. Some affect your vision. I get something similar to this, where it seems like half my eye does not work anymore. Sounds very similar.

really? and I only thought that Migraines hurt like hell... thats good to know though. Thanks for the tips Necro smile.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 21 2007, 08:03 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 21 2007, 05:46 PM)
Possible migraine also.  They all don't hurt.  Some affect your vision.  I get something similar to this, where it seems like half my eye does not work anymore.  Sounds very similar.

really? and I only thought that Migraines hurt like hell... thats good to know though. Thanks for the tips Necro smile.gif

Yah it could be that, cause I know a kid who loses his vision sometimes when he gets serious migraines.

I hope all is ok, D. Glad you're going to get that checked. smile.gif

Can't say I know too much about migraines D., and hopefully that's what it will prove to be.

All I can say from my experience is I'm much happier hearing about distortion in the peripheral vision that in the centre, which suggests it's not a retinal problem.

Let us know how the check up goes.

Yeah coming from someone who is quite shortsighted I am glad that you are not going to leave this unchecked D yes.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif bekloppt.gif

I'm not an Optometrist, but I do have some medical knowledge being an RGN and an Offshore medic.....

I think this has most likely been caused by the fact you were looking at screens of one kind or another for an extended period. The eyeball movement is controlled by ancillary muscles and these get fatigued just like any others, though you may not be aware of it. It is quite possible that the oscuration you received was due to "drag" caused by the fatigue. There are also muscles which facillitate lens accommodation, and these can get fatigued too. This would be borne out by the fact that it improved with rest.

You are however, quite right to get it checked out. Another thing to consider is whether you have your computer workstation set up in an ergonomically correct way. I am a QWE (Qualified Workstation Evaluator) and a few simple adjustments can make a real difference, believe me.

As far as migraines go, I'm not convinced, but it is possible. There is also the possibility that you may need PC glasses, but your optician will be able to tell you that....

HEY D-13....

just checking to see if you had a follow up???

everything ok???

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 26 2007, 08:08 AM)
HEY D-13....

everything ok???

My appointment is next weekend Feb 3rd. Couldn't get in this week. Nothing has happened so far. So thats good news. smile.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 26 2007, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 26 2007, 08:08 AM)
HEY D-13....

everything ok???

My appointment is next weekend Feb 3rd. Couldn't get in this week. Nothing has happened so far. So thats good news. smile.gif

That IS good news. biggrin.gif

I was just randomly watching a movie...and all of a sudden I noticed something...my right eye...pretty much my peripheral vision was distorted...kinda like wavy lines.  It was so bad that I looked straight ahead and placed my hand so I could see it in my peripheral area....I could barely see my hand!    ohmy.gif  unsure.gif  I said...ok...maybe it's just me looking at the computer screen too much...took a nap...it kinda helped...but it took another hour before it was completely gone.  My eyes are fine now...so I have no clue what the f**k was going on...scary moment man!  This stuff scared the shit outta me.  I'm making an appointment with the eye doc for next weekend for a checkup.  I hope it's nothing serious. 

unsure.gif

Hi;

I'm not an optometrist and it's always a good idea to have these checked things checked out.

I do have a question did you still see like that with your eyes closed?

I suffer from migrianes and have since I was 15 years old. There are several different kinds. I suffer from 2 different kinds.

What you have described sounds like what we in the "migraine world" know as an auroa. They almost make you want to punch your own eye so it'll go away.

It is common to get these with migraine with or with out pain. For some it is the first sign that a truly debilitating migraine is on the way. For other this is all they ever experience.

I don't know if or when you have an appointment, but (This is going to sound odd) if this happens again before the appointment. Get a piece of soft white bread - wonder is the best - (no I don't work for them). Take off the crust and then ball it up, eat it slowly. Usually 2 or 3 pieces within an hour will help it go away.

GOOD LUCK! I truly hope it's nothing bad and that it's not migraines. If it is and you need some help with good wives tale on how to treat & treatment options pm me. I'm pleased to say with the latest meds. I take I haven't had one in almost 2 years now.

QUOTE (owlswing @ Jan 26 2007, 12:20 PM)

unsure.gif

Hi;

I'm not an optometrist and it's always a good idea to have these checked things checked out.

I do have a question did you still see like that with your eyes closed?

I suffer from migrianes and have since I was 15 years old. There are several different kinds. I suffer from 2 different kinds.

What you have described sounds like what we in the "migraine world" know as an auroa. They almost make you want to punch your own eye so it'll go away.

It is common to get these with migraine with or with out pain. For some it is the first sign that a truly debilitating migraine is on the way. For other this is all they ever experience.

I don't know if or when you have an appointment, but (This is going to sound odd) if this happens again before the appointment. Get a piece of soft white bread - wonder is the best - (no I don't work for them). Take off the crust and then ball it up, eat it slowly. Usually 2 or 3 pieces within an hour will help it go away.

GOOD LUCK! I truly hope it's nothing bad and that it's not migraines. If it is and you need some help with good wives tale on how to treat & treatment options pm me. I'm pleased to say with the latest meds. I take I haven't had one in almost 2 years now.

laugh.gif bread eh'? I'll keep that in mind! Yeah even with my eyes closed I could still see it. laugh.gif Bread eh'? biggrin.gif Thanks for the suggestions! trink39.gif

Archived