The Vincent Price thread

treeduck

I just watched The Masque of the Red Death and it reminded me how good an actor Vincent Price was. He was excellent at playing cruel and decadent villains and equally good at playing sensitive and indecisive weaklings as well as authoritative good guys... And he was perfect for portraying Poe's characters...

What do you people think of VP, was he underrated or just another hammy horror hack...?

He was also a big bastard, around 6 foot 4 which I didn't realise till just now...

He's done some great work. What's the movie he did that revolves around the "humunculus", scaring people to death? That was one of my favorites of his. His mutli-episode Hawaiian Brady vacation is classic as well. smile.gif

he played a rhyming narrarator in a kids comedy series back in the early 70s called the hillarious house of frankenstein-

at the end of this show he would say the same thing ..

"The castle lights are growing dim, theres no one left but me and him ,the next we meet in Frankenstone,-Dont come alone-" dazed025.gif

then he would blow out a candle to end the show

i was about 5 or 6 then but that really was freaky - and well done .. unsure.gif scared.gif

When they were casting for "Bewitched" (the TV series), he was considered for the part of Samantha's father. I think he would have been good in that role as a warlock.

As for everything else he did, he was fine I guess.

Remember his monologue in Michael Jackson's Thriller? rofl3.gif

He was good in the original Fly as well, playing the good guy there...

http://www.cinefantastico.com/terroruniversal/imagen/price05.jpg

The Ten Commandments (bad guy), His Kind of Woman w/Robert Mitchum (fall guy) right up to Edward Scissorhands. He did several Poe adaptations as well as the Red Death...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 29 2006, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 29 2006, 03:22 PM)
http://www.vincent-price.com/brady2.jpg

Who remembers this little appearace?

Who remembers who Oliver was?

You're obviously the oldest member of the TRF...

tongue.gif

Baloney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You dont rememebr this??? smile.gif

I am in the MEATY part of the curve!!!!!!!!!!!

TRF Poll

What category describes your age and gender?

< 18 Years Old, Female [ 15 ] [2.94%]

< 18 Years Old, Male [ 78 ] [15.26%]

18-25 Years Old, Female [ 8 ] [1.57%]

18-25 Years Old, Male [ 57 ] [11.15%]

26-35 Years Old, Female [ 36 ] [7.05%]

26-35 Years Old, Male [ 82 ] [16.05%]

36-45 Years Old, Female [ 42 ] [8.22%]

36-45 Years Old, Male [ 173 ] [33.86%]

46-55 Years Old, Female [ 6 ] [1.17%]

46-55 Years Old, Male [ 10 ] [1.96%]

> 55 Years Old, Female [ 1 ] [0.20%]

> 55 Years Old, Male [ 3 ] [0.59%]

Total Votes: 511

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 27 2006, 10:58 PM)
I just watched The Masque of the Red Death and it reminded me how good an actor Vincent Price was. He was excellent at playing cruel and decadent villains and equally good at playing sensitive and indecisive weaklings as well as authoritative good guys... And he was perfect for portraying Poe's characters...

What do you people think of VP, was he underrated or just another hammy horror hack...?

He was also a big bastard, around 6 foot 4 which I didn't realise till just now...

that's is a old time favorite of mine!!!

Price was also an author, he wrote a couple of cookbooks with his wife, a couple of books on art, and a terrific dog story called 'The Book Of Joe' which chronicles the life of a dog that Price once owned. I read that book in junior high and remember it being very good. I'd love to find another copy and re-read it but it's out of print.

QUOTE (YYZ Working Man @ Dec 28 2006, 01:14 AM)
he played a rhyming narrarator in a kids comedy series back in the early 70s called the hillarious house of frankenstein-
at the end of this show he would say the same thing ..
"The castle lights are growing dim, theres no one left but me and him ,the next we meet in Frankenstone,-Dont come alone-" dazed025.gif

then he would blow out a candle to end the show
i was about 5 or 6 then but that really was freaky - and well done .. unsure.gif scared.gif

That part used to scare me when I was little scared.gif

laugh.gif

I think Price was underrated as an artist and was very good at what he did. He was a bit of a throwback to the early days of film when overacting was the rule, but he pulled it off better than most.

My favorite Price film was The Raven, which also starred Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre, and Jack Nicholson (very young and wearing tights!) This version played very fast and loose with Poe's poem, was very campy and quite funny with tounge planted firmly in cheek. Along with the sometimes subtle, sometimes slapstick humor, there are also some rather poignant human nature moments in the film, and Price goes from one to the other with typical aplomb.

The thing that intrigues me most about Price is that he was something of a dark side sex symbol in his day, but in retrospect was very, very gay. I marvel at how he managed to be big, dark, handsome and threatening, while always maintaining that effete edge that apparently was the real Vince. Once again we see high art and eccentricity walking hand in hand.

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Dec 31 2006, 01:08 AM)
My favorite Price film was The Raven, which also starred Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre, and Jack Nicholson (very young and wearing tights!) This version played very fast and loose with Poe's poem, was very campy and quite funny with tounge planted firmly in cheek. Along with the sometimes subtle, sometimes slapstick humor, there are also some rather poignant human nature moments in the film, and Price goes from one to the other with typical aplomb.

I've never seen this one and I didn't realise Jack was in it, I'll have to look out for a DVD rental copy...