The Most "known" Rush album which is it?

treeduck

Which album is the one known even by people who aren't Rush-heads?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which album is the one known even by people who aren't Rush-heads?

• 1 2112
    • 2 Moving Pictures
    • 3 Hemispheres
    • 4 Perm. Waves
    • 5 Exit Stage Left
    • 6 Rush in Rio
    • 7 A Farewell to Kings
    • 8 Signals
    • 9 Vapor Trails
    • 10 Power Windows
    • 11 Roll the Bones
    • 12 Fly by Night

Which album is the most famous, the one everybody has heard of, even people who don't know why they even know it? From grannies to 70s punk Rush haters, from little kids to middle aged, Duran Duran-loving tennis moms?

The average person on the street would be most likely to know MP. I think you would find more people who know Tom Sawyer than any of their album titles, member names or any other Rush info. Like it or not, to the average person Rush is that band that made Tom Sawyer 25 years ago.

The question is "which ALBUM" do people know, not "Which album has the most songs people know?" Every time I talk to people about Rush, the first album they mention is 2112. Of course, the songs people mention the most are "Tom Sawyer," "Spirit of Radio," "Limelight," et. al. but I'll bet you more people know the name 2112 than know the name Moving Pictures.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Dec 2 2006, 09:21 PM)
The question is "which ALBUM" do people know, not "Which album has the most songs people know?" Every time I talk to people about Rush, the first album they mention is 2112. Of course, the songs people mention the most are "Tom Sawyer," "Spirit of Radio," "Limelight," et. al. but I'll bet you more people know the name 2112 than know the name Moving Pictures.

Good point about 2112. I still say Moving Pictures is their most "known" album, although 2112 is probably second.

Hey Pat!

Yep! Sad to say but there is no doubt it is MOVING PICTURES!

I remember when I was a kid in 1980 and a friend of mine told me to buy PERMANENT WAVES on cassette.

I gazed upon the black and white cover with that chick in the dress and I thought to my young self, "this album rocks? Whatever, there is a woman on the cover in black and white. LAME!"

So I passed on it.

Then of course MOVING PICTURES came out and another friend of mine told me to listen to TOM SAWYER and it will blow your mind. So I did and it was HOOK LINE AND THINKER!

RUSH FAN FOR LIFE!

Of course I finally did go back and pick up PERMANENT WAVES and was totally blown out of the water or should I say "ocean?"

The rest is Rush History!!!!!

Earl

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 4 2006, 04:38 AM)
Hey Pat!

I remember when I was a kid in 1980 and a friend of mine told me to buy PERMANENT WAVES on cassette.

I gazed upon the black and white cover with that chick in the dress and I thought to my young self, "this album rocks? Whatever, there is a woman on the cover in black and white. LAME!"

So I passed on it.

Then of course MOVING PICTURES came out and another friend of mine told me to listen to TOM SAWYER and it will blow your mind. So I did and it was HOOK LINE AND THINKER!

RUSH FAN FOR LIFE!

Of course I finally did go back and pick up PERMANENT WAVES and was totally blown out of the water or should I say "ocean?"

Earl

I would think the chick on the cover would be a selling point for most guys. laugh.gif

Well in my experiences, it's always been 2112 that non-rush fans have recognised. It's been in situations when your favorite band is being discussed and I've said "Oh yeah, im quite a big Rush fan, have you heard of them?" The other person usually has replied with something along the lines of: "Oh yeah, kinda. Didnt they write 2112 or something?"

I dont know if that's the case with anyone else though...

QUOTE (Tom Servo @ Dec 4 2006, 07:56 PM)
Well in my experiences, it's always been 2112 that non-rush fans have recognised. It's been in situations when your favorite band is being discussed and I've said "Oh yeah, im quite a big Rush fan, have you heard of them?" The other person usually has replied with something along the lines of: "Oh yeah, kinda. Didnt they write 2112 or something?"

yes.gif

QUOTE (nebbish @ Dec 5 2006, 11:38 AM)
QUOTE (Tom Servo @ Dec 4 2006, 07:56 PM)

yes.gif

Oh good, I'd hate to feel alone!

MP followed by 2112

and odly enough the most "known" song, at least in my experience, would probally be freewill which isn't on either of those albums

QUOTE (Maddy @ Dec 4 2006, 01:16 PM)
Hey Pat!

I gazed upon the black and white cover with that chick in the dress and I thought to my young self, "this album rocks?  Whatever, there is a woman on the cover in black and white.  LAME!"

So I passed on it.

Then of course MOVING PICTURES came out and another friend of mine told me to listen to TOM SAWYER and it will blow your mind.  So I did and it was HOOK LINE AND THINKER!

RUSH FAN FOR LIFE!

Earl

I would think the chick on the cover would be a selling point for most guys. laugh.gif

sayin'???

QUOTE (Maddy @ Dec 4 2006, 10:16 AM)
Hey Pat!

I gazed upon the black and white cover with that chick in the dress and I thought to my young self, "this album rocks?  Whatever, there is a woman on the cover in black and white.  LAME!"

So I passed on it.

Then of course MOVING PICTURES came out and another friend of mine told me to listen to TOM SAWYER and it will blow your mind.  So I did and it was HOOK LINE AND THINKER!

RUSH FAN FOR LIFE!

Earl

True!

However I was 12 years old when my buddy put that album in front of my face.

Sincerely,

A Late Bloomer smile.gif

Archived