The Future Alex and Geddy solo project thread

treeduck

Ok say Alex and Geddy did another solo record each (call them Victor II and Headache part doux)... and decided to tour behind them, who would likely be in the bands?

Let's be realistic here though don't make this into a Rush/Yes supergroup thread for instance or a Porcupine tree meets Geddy lee discussion. Jon Anderson is never gonna be available to tour with Alex, he's too big to be a side man and he's probably never met him, the same goes for Steven Wilson, who is always busy with PT and his numerous side projects such as No Man. That's not what this thread is about people so save that stuff for another one...

So now that we've established that, who would be likely bandmates for Alex and Geddy solo tours, total unknowns aside...?

Depends how long the tours were and obviously who played on each of those albums. On Geddy's side would be Ben Mink. On Lerxst's side....hmmm....no idea...Les Claypool? Les has done a few side bands before. And if it were for just a handful of gigs then I don't see why he wouldn't do it (if he were on Victor 2 that is). I don't know what instrument Lifeson's musician kid plays, but it's possible he'd tour with dad. In the past (when Victor came out) Lerxst mentioned that he's interested in making music with his son.

I would like to weigh in on this and suggest me as a side man to Geddy. As ridiculous as you might find it, I do have plenty of live playing experience (guitar). I know his material and playing style very well (since learning to play to the music of Rush). Of course I would need some credibility first - which I'm working on.

I could never be a sideman to Alex, I would always be too blown away to concentrate on what I was doing along side.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 20 2006, 05:17 PM)
I would like to weigh in on this and suggest me as a side man to Geddy. As ridiculous as you might find it, I do have plenty of live playing experience (guitar). I know his material and playing style very well (since learning to play to the music of Rush). Of course I would need some credibility first - which I'm working on.
I could never be a sideman to Alex, I would always be too blown away to concentrate on what I was doing along side.

Can you co-write songs though, arrange, mix, produce, if called upon?

QUOTE (Hemispheric Waves @ Nov 20 2006, 06:25 PM)
The obvious selection for bass on Alex's project would be Melodic. No has a better bass tone than that dude. Period.

laugh.gif

But then Alex would introduce Melodic to Neil and they would wind up kicking Geddy out of 2.gif cuz Melodic is just toooooooooooooo damn good to be true. yes.gif

I'm sure Ben Mink would be involved in Geddy's...and maybe Matt Cameron as well, although he would have to leave Pearl Jam. But that's who was on MFH.

I know nothing about Victor. I haven't liked the few tracks I've heard. I wouldn't go to that show.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Nov 20 2006, 07:03 PM)
I'm sure Ben Mink would be involved in Geddy's...and maybe Matt Cameron as well, although he would have to leave Pearl Jam. But that's who was on MFH.

I know nothing about Victor. I haven't liked the few tracks I've heard. I wouldn't go to that show.

Victor is not as easily digested as MFH and may be considered inferior by most to MFH but I do like it. Standouts include Strip and Go Naked and I am the Spirit.

Alex is ripping during Shut Up Shuttin Up and as a married man I do appreciate the humour of that song!

Alex is also quite the bass player as he proves on Victor on several songs too.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 20 2006, 05:20 PM)

I was kind of joking, but ya I would give it my best shot.

I love recording and producing and have a good bit of experience doing that too.

But seriously, wouldn't I have to release some material of my own first to be recognized as an artist? But hey, I can still dream!

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 21 2006, 09:08 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 20 2006, 05:20 PM)

I was kind of joking, but ya I would give it my best shot.

I love recording and producing and have a good bit of experience doing that too.

But seriously, wouldn't I have to release some material of my own first to be recognized as an artist? But hey, I can still dream!

Joking? Do people joke in here?

wink.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Nov 21 2006, 03:17 PM)
What about just albums? I don't think SW would be good with Ged or Alex, dunno why, just a feeling.

He'd be much better off producing the new album!

"...the same goes for Steven Wilson, who is always busy with PT and his numerous side projects such as No Man. That's not what this thread is about people so save that stuff for another one..."

dazed025.gif

QUOTE (tangdog @ Nov 20 2006, 10:26 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Nov 20 2006, 07:03 PM)

Victor is not as easily digested as MFH and may be considered inferior by most to MFH but I do like it. Standouts include Strip and Go Naked and I am the Spirit.

I consider Victor to be FAR FAR superior to MFH, and I reckon he should simply stick with the band he used on that album, they did a spot on job, and if it ain't broke.....

Well, here is one possibility for Geddy: Kim Mitchell. Would be awesome to see them play together again.

For Alex, hmmmm...how about Brian Greenway from April Wine, who's Serious Business album Alex played on one song (Danger Zone; great album by the way if you can find it!). And why not Rik Emmett?

I am getting excited at the possibilities out there! smile.gif

I thaught about something, Geddy and Alex could tour together and on the drums they could hire that guy...

what's his name AAAH yes, "neil peart" (I think) and tour as Rush, yes that would make a fine name biggrin.gif

What about these line-ups?

The Geddy Lee Project:

Geddy Lee, vocal, bass

Ywgwie Malmsteen, guitar

Dave Lombardo, percussion

The Alex Lifeson Experience:

Alex Lifeson, guitar

George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher, vocal

Frank Beard, percussion

Oderus Urungus, bass

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Dec 20 2006, 12:55 PM)

The Geddy Lee Project:

Geddy Lee, vocal, bass
Ywgwie Malmsteen, guitar

Alex Lifeson, guitar
Frank Beard, percussion
Oderus Urungus, bass

Well they're interesting but Wingnut, sorry Yngwie and Geddy? That's a bit of a clash of styles isn't it?

wacko.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 20 2006, 01:03 PM)

The Geddy Lee Project:

Geddy Lee, vocal, bass
Ywgwie Malmsteen, guitar

Alex Lifeson, guitar
Frank Beard, percussion
Oderus Urungus, bass

Well they're interesting but Wingnut, sorry Yngwie and Geddy? That's a bit of a clash of styles isn't it?

wacko.gif

Well yes, that would make them all the more interesting wouldn't you think?

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Dec 20 2006, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 20 2006, 01:03 PM)

The Geddy Lee Project:

Geddy Lee, vocal, bass
Ywgwie Malmsteen, guitar

Alex Lifeson, guitar
Frank Beard, percussion
Oderus Urungus, bass

wacko.gif

Well yes, that would make them all the more interesting wouldn't you think?

Yeah but Yngwie would probably turn it into a neo-classical fest if it was anything but a one off situation ie touring would be a no-no with Malmsteen...

Ya alright, forget that Swedish meatball then......howbout Steve Vai?

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Dec 20 2006, 03:40 PM)
Ya alright, forget that Swedish meatball then......howbout Steve Vai?

Well it'd work I think, I'm pretty sure Steve's a fan of Rush and Geddy's bass playing so that would be preferable yeah...

smile.gif

Archived