Stephen King fest

treeduck

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Jun 1 2010, 05:37 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 1 2010, 02:30 AM)
I'll return to this thread and continue it reasonably soon I think...

trink38.gif

Wondering where ya been...listening to new 2.gif more than likely....or watching Lost.

Naaa I'll never watch Lost!

tongue.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (Handle With Kid Gloves @ Jun 1 2010, 07:37 PM)
Well, I've been reading The Tommyknockers as of late.. I'm almost done it and so far it is second only to The Stand as my favorite book. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.

Tommyknockers was one of the first King books I read when I went into my first King phase...and I liked it at first but by the time I finished it couldn't wait for it to end and I have never picked up a copy since.

Maybe I should give it a re-read or something.

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Jun 1 2010, 09:13 PM)
Well, I've been reading The Tommyknockers as of late..  I'm almost done it and so far it is second only to The Stand as my favorite book. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.

Tommyknockers was one of the first King books I read when I went into my first King phase...and I liked it at first but by the time I finished it couldn't wait for it to end and I have never picked up a copy since.

I believe that was the first one I read also....many years ago. Will have to re-read it sometime. One I did enjoy was Thinner. Read that one about 3-4 times.

QUOTE (udanax @ Jun 2 2010, 12:57 AM)
QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Jun 1 2010, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Jun 1 2010, 09:13 PM)
Well, I've been reading The Tommyknockers as of late..  I'm almost done it and so far it is second only to The Stand as my favorite book. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.

I believe that was the first one I read also....many years ago. Will have to re-read it sometime. One I did enjoy was Thinner. Read that one about 3-4 times.

I'll have to pick that one up...

I'll cover these two...eventually...

cool.gif

Almost finished with The Drawing of the Three. Wow.

This has to be the best - so far - Stephen King novel ever written. I'm flipping pages rapidly, not expecting ANYTHING. It's ingenious. I don't want it to end.

But I pledged to finish the series before September, so....

http://img.infibeam.com/img/d341224d/869/0/9780451210869.jpg

I can't wait for the third installment!

Mr. King, you've outdone yourself. I apologize for my late arrival to the Dark Tower!

So, I think that Stephen King might have a sense of humour...Well, a demented one if anything, right?...I neverreally read King anymore...There's too many undiscovered and diverse authors out there to check out...But when I saw that his new one was 1,100 pages long and that the story originated back during 'The Stand' era, I had to know more...Why do I feel like I've told this story recently...

So, it turns out that back in '76, Steve had an idea for a book, and actually even started it, but got sidetracked somehow...Well, he picked up the story where he left off with it back in the day and proceeded onward...'Under The Dome' is an EPIC tale, every bit as complex as the 'The Stand'...just not as good...But, still 'good'.

There's a two page character index at the beginning of the book, to get you acquainted with the 20+ characters you're soon to meet...The story was extremely convoluted and I applaud King on his skill in holding together such a tremendous cast of characters and an intricate plotline...I think it was definitely worth the read...

But, where the sense of humor comes in is with the very next release after 'Under The Dome'...Two weeks back, I found the newest King title, up there on the shelf of the local library...'Blockade Billy' is only 112 pages long and looks like a mere 'pamphlet' when held up to the monster title, Under The Dome...

It's like the behemoth book that preceded it took everything out of him, and the only thing he was capable of delivering afterwards was only a quick, short story with only three or four basic characters...'Blockade Billy' is a baseball tale that reads like someone's first person testimonial account...I bet the next book will be somewhere in the middle.

I've started reading Different Seasons, which I last read back in 1987. I'm about halfway through Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. Here's what my old copy looks like (mine is in much better contion than this example though).

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3245/different.jpg

This story has been overshadowed by the film of course, back when I read it before there was no film. This is an odd occurence for King piece where the film actually matches the story. Consequently I keep seeing Morgan Freeman as the narrator, even though it's not made clear whether he's a white guy or a black guy, I think Irish is mentioned and he's called Red, who knows though...

It's a good little tale but I never expected this one to turn into a Hollywood blockbuster, what with the prison rapes and whatnot. I suppose people like a good prison story though, a little like whistling past the graveyard maybe...

Oh, goody!!! I've found the SK outpost here smile.gif

I've been a fan of Uncle Stevie for about as long as I have been a fan of Rush (30 years+). I've read everything he's written. At least twice.

My favorites: The Dark Tower series, The Stand, It, Duma Key, Needful Things. He has a new short story collection coming out in November called Full Dark, No Stars.

Full disclosure - I "work" for the SK website as a beta tester. We have some nice, new stuff coming soon with a shiny, new wesbite cool.gif

Finished Under the Dome a few days ago....1074 pages of awesome

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Sep 28 2010, 08:21 PM)
Oh, goody!!! I've found the SK outpost here smile.gif

I've been a fan of Uncle Stevie for about as long as I have been a fan of Rush (30 years+). I've read everything he's written. At least twice.

My favorites: The Dark Tower series, The Stand, It, Duma Key, Needful Things. He has a new short story collection coming out in November called Full Dark, No Stars.

Full disclosure - I "work" for the SK website as a beta tester. We have some nice, new stuff coming soon with a shiny, new wesbite cool.gif

Nice!

This thread has become an on-going King fest. I thought it would last about 6 months at most when I started it in 2006, but well I just took longer than I thought I would to get on with it!

I'll pick up the new book asap... It sounds like a cross between Different Seasons and Four Past Midnight, both of which were comprised of four novellas as well.

Talking of Different Seasons, I'm in the middle of Apt Pupil now. It's not my favourite King story, with it's uncomfortable subject matter and bizarre relationship between the old nazi and the warped teenager. Interesting though, and better than I remember it.

I like Apt Pupil. King makes some very good points in it. And, as always, memorable characters.

That's the best thing about his writing for me; characters that I care about, that make me feel that I know them (or at least someone like them).

I'll keep you updated on the new book as I am able. ph34r.gif

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3245/different.jpg

I took my time with this one and I really enjoyed it. Much more than last time. My favourite story is still The Body but the other stories are all good too, especially Apt Pupil that I found too dark back in 1987. This time I found it good black chiller about corruption and murder. The final winter story about the club I notice was dedicated to Peter Straub and it reminded me of Straub's work slightly.

I have enjoyed reading through this thread as much as reading King biggrin.gif

My claim to fame is writing to mr. K when I was young and naive, offering a painting I had done for use as The Tommyknockers paperback cover art, to which he politely replied that the art had already been done and it was not needed. Still got that old typewritten letter somewhere...

Anyhoo, nice reviews sir, and I look forward to your views on 'It', which is still by far my favourite.

QUOTE (Graham_W @ Oct 14 2010, 03:47 AM)
I have enjoyed reading through this thread as much as reading King biggrin.gif

My claim to fame is writing to mr. K when I was young and naive, offering a painting I had done for use as The Tommyknockers paperback cover art, to which he politely replied that the art had already been done and it was not needed. Still got that old typewritten letter somewhere...

Anyhoo, nice reviews sir, and I look forward to your views on 'It', which is still by far my favourite.

Thanks, as you can tell I didn't expect it to go on so long, I started in 2006. Don't worry if there's another gap, I will get around to it eventually, I want to be in full King-fest mode when I return.

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 8 2011, 12:52 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 8 2011, 01:42 PM)
I did a very light-hearted blog post about SK...thought I'd share the link.

http://asortoflifewithautism.blogspot.com/...t-une_2951.html

Kinda silly, but I had fun with it.

Nice...

biggrin.gif

Well...

Thanks ducky.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 8 2011, 11:42 AM)

Loved it! Sometimes I also wonder whether or not Tabby is ever scared of the King. ohmy.gif

I am sharing this with my fellow Betas over on his website. You ought to join the MB there. We have lots of fun cool.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 8 2011, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 8 2011, 11:42 AM)

Loved it! Sometimes I also wonder whether or not Tabby is ever scared of the King. ohmy.gif

I am sharing this with my fellow Betas over on his website. You ought to join the MB there. We have lots of fun cool.gif

Wow, thanks for sharing it. smile.gif

I'll check out the website...in fact, I just signed up.