Stephen King fest

treeduck

So here I am in the 80s but it's not exactly the 80s I knew, it's kind of a fantasy era 80s courtesy of Steve's The Eyes of the Dragon!

Here's how my 1987 hardback copy looks:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6847/eyesofthedragon.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1531/eyesdragon.jpg

Steve looking impossibly young in that pic there. I really like the cover of this book but the American Hardcover dust jacket is even cooler.

This book features some nice black and white illustrations that run throughout the book, there's maybe fifteen or twenty I'd guess based on a quick flip through.

Eyes of the Dragon was the first "new" SK book that I read that had just been published in hardback, everything else prior to this was a paperback. This was back in 1987 which as you might have guessed by now (if you've read the rest of this thread) was the year I first got into King and when I read most of his books up to that point. I can't remember a thing about this one now, except that it's a fantasy story in the vein of The Talisman and The Wizard and Glass. There might even be a version of Flagg in it but that's all I know. I can't even remember if I liked it or not, probably thought it was so-so as it's obviously not that memorable to me.

But maybe it will be this time...

The Eyes of the Dragon originally published in 1984 is a pretty good fantasy tale and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It's very like Wizard and Glass although not as good. It's set in another part of In-World (from The Dark Tower series) and has all the ingredients of a good fantasy tale, Kings, Princes, magicians, dragons, castles etc.

The only critisim is it only scratches the surface of that world, King skips over a lot of possibilities, which isn't like him. We only get a tiny perspective of each character as a result. It's really like he told this tale at a late night campsite by the fire and then later typed it up verbatim leaving the storyteller as big a feature as most of the characters.

Anyway it's the best book I've read in this KING fest since Carrie, it's way better than all those disappointing 90s novels I just read.

Ok next I'm going right back to King's beginnings!

Now it really is time to roll back the years and read some of the work that King did during the early days. Not the wildly famous stuff that made his name, no I'm talking about the other stuff, the stuff he hid behind a pseudonym for quite a few years, maybe just to prove to himself that he could have made it even if Carrie and the whole horror deal had sunk like a lead balloon. Of course nowadays King's pseudonym is just as wildly famous as all the horror stuff is, in fact nowadays it sort of IS the horror stuff too.

This book is actually three books in one collection. Originally it was four and it was four when I read it 20 odd years ago, the four books in question being, Rage, The Long Walk, Roadworks and the much more famous (because of the Arnie film adaptation) Running Man. The reason this volume only consists of three of those novels is because a few years ago King decided to not to renew the copyright for Rage when it came up for renewal back in the mid 90s, mostly because the subject matter is a little close to home these days, not just in America either but worldwide. I suppose it was like King's nightmare came true so it wasn't fun anymore.

So let me just think for a moment...hmmm let's see, if there was suddenly a spate of attacks on people by killer clowns with silver eyes would Steve pull "It" from the shelves? What about vampires? surely Salem's Lot could be salvaged, right? Would he pull this volume and the other Bachmans from the shelves if Richard Bachman himself came out of the closet and did a Dark Half on King??? Let's face it if supernatural events start happening for real King could find himself out of business, but maybe that'd be the least of his worries...

Here's what my long gone copy of The Bachman Books looked like before I gave it away after reading it back in 1987:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7417/bachmanbooks.jpg

I'd like to add that unlike that battered copy in this picture mine was in pristine condition the last time I saw it. Meanwhile here's how my brand new copy looks...

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2522/bachmanbooksnew.jpg

The one I had was huge thick paperback but this purple lettered volume is about medium thick, it feels though like its made out of lead probably because they have about 900 pages crammed in there, it must be those ultra-thin pages they use for long books. I'm pretty sure this collection has been discontinued altogether in America and the individual novels are sold as separate volumes.

Anyway I'll read each novel and check in here before I read the one that follows, the first one (now that Rage is no more) is The Long Walk. I don't remember liking this too much, I seem to remember it as kind of like King's answer to 1984. I remember an Ali fight gets a mention in the story can't remember against who but since the book is set in Maine (like most of King's work) I suppose it must be the fight Ali had against Sonny Liston which took place in Lewiston Maine in 1965. It's funny that's the only clear thing I remember, I'm sure if i wasn't a boxing freak i wou;dn't have remembered the reference. So yeah 1965...I'm not sure but I think the book takes place in the 60s, a futuristic 60s that is...

Anyway like Arnie in The Running Man, I'll be back!

I've only read the first 100 pages of The Long Walk as yet but wow King was brutal with his characters back in the early days. Imagine a non-stop marathon where anyone who quits or slows down below 4 miles an hour after three warnings and for any reason is shot dead no exceptions, and it only ends when one walker remains and yet curiously all of the 100 competitors are volunteers. I've remembered the ending but that's ok it's been pretty good stuff so far.

cool.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 13 2009, 05:50 PM)

The Eyes of the Dragon originally published in 1984 is a pretty good fantasy tale and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It's very like Wizard and Glass although not as good. It's set in another part of In-World (from The Dark Tower series) and has all the ingredients of a good fantasy tale, Kings, Princes, magicians, dragons, castles etc.

The only critisim is it only scratches the surface of that world, King skips over a lot of possibilities, which isn't like him. We only get a tiny perspective of each character as a result. It's really like he told this tale at a late night campsite by the fire and then later typed it up verbatim leaving the storyteller as big a feature as most of the characters.

Anyway it's the best book I've read in this KING fest since Carrie, it's way better than all those disappointing 90s novels I just read.

I read that book years ago and about all I remember is the kings son watching the king through the eyes of the dragon , and on occasion...the king would pick his nose and eat his boogers.

QUOTE (Prince Sphinc-Tor @ Mar 27 2009, 04:54 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 13 2009, 05:50 PM)

I read that book years ago and about all I remember is the kings son watching the king through the eyes of the dragon , and on occasion...the king would pick his nose and eat his boogers.

You remembered right...

cool.gif

Steve wrote The Long Walk and Rage before he penned his first novel Carrie and with Rage now out of print The Long Walk represents King's earliest published full length work, that's available anyway. It's not an example of a raw first try though, no, King, as I may have said before, as a novelist, was pretty much the finished article by the time he was 23 or 24. Yes, he may have improved since in his writing expertise but really only in the smoothing of the corners of his already realised talent. Having said all that King published the book in 1979 after a probable rewrite i doubt he made any significant changes to it though.

There's no waffle here either, like a lot of his later work, it's almost all story so there's little chance of anyone getting bored. It's a fairly exciting and well-told tale of future shock and horror set in an Owelian landscape where teenage boys are walked to the point of collapse then when they do they're shot to death and all for sport and the amusement of the public in a kind of nazi marathon or megathon. All except for a single survivor. Not only are they put through long hours of pain, suffering and eventual death they're humiliated too, having to squat and shit in the road and piss walking backwards as the crowd point and laugh, and if they do any of this too slowly well then they die, violently. What a nightmare.

The only thing that doesn't quite sit well with me as far as realism goes is I can't imagine anyone volunteering for this ritual suicide mission no matter what prize is on offer for the winner, who may be half-dead at the end or worse anyway. SK could have made them convicted criminals, a kind of new competitive twist on execution which would have made sense in a fascist state, but then maybe that would have taken some of the shock value away. Maybe he wanted the reader to ask that question, why would anyone do it? and maybe there's simply no answer, no answer that matters anyway.

The story is like a metaphor for life actually; in a way we're all doing the Long Walk right now, how long can each of us last before we get our own ticket? Stumbling along hoping our body will stay strong and keep us from the certain death if it fails. Unlike the Long Walk though there's no one person who survives, there' no winner with a prize at the end, in the long walk of life everybody gets their ticket.

Like all King books despite the cruelty to the characters and the horror there's lots of laughs along the way, mostly from the banter and bickering of the boys as they try to survive but also the dark humour of the situation. As you read it you find yourself wondering of course which of the walkers will die next, and this is pretty much how it is all the way through. Like I said I remembered the ending as soon as I got started but it didn't spoil my enjoyment and I think it was fairly obvious who the eventual winner would be. I think if it were me though I'd have found myself some better shoes.

About a hundred pages from the end I got curious about the route and looked up a map of Maine and those towns are all on there, Limestone, Caribou, Oldtown. You never know with King because he has tons of towns of his own that he pulled out of his imagination. Unless you know Maine really well of course, which I don't. In fact I hardly knew Maine even existed as a state before I read any Stephen King novels, I think I imagined Maine was some kind of holiday island that belonged to the Kennedys up till then...

Anyway all in all The Long Walk is a pretty good read creeping in to my top ten of the twenty three featured in this thread so far. I wondered if they made a film of this one so I looked it up. Apparently Frank Darabont owns the film rights and has done for quite a few years. I imagine it might be difficult to make a film where 99 kids get shot in cold blood just for slowing down or stopping in a glorified hike and is the main thrust of the story. Anyway both this and The Eyes of the Dragon are in the long term pipeline, Dragon will probably be an animated feature.

Oh yeah, and the Ali thing I remembered wasn't part of the story at all just one of the quotes King used at the beginning of each chapter, in this case radio commentary, and it was the Liston fight.

I'll start Roadwork in a day or two, here's how the original Long Walk cover looked:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2162/longwalk.jpg

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Apr 4 2009, 01:26 PM)
Prof. Treeduck, Duma Key and Lisey's Story? Musta slept through those book signings.

It just so happens I'll be reading one of these when I'm finished with the Bachman Books...

cool.gif

What can I say about Barton George Dawes? What a great character, he made Roadwork very enjoyable, and he was the star of the show. When I began to read the story this time I was under the impression, based on my memory of reading it 20 odd years ago, that the story was about a siege, I mean from start to finish, staged by a random guy who flipped out because his house was about to be demolished and just that, and I suppose I thought it all began with the siege too. It's not about that at all though I realise now, it's about a man who's life is slowly, painfully and quietly (at first) going down the drain, partly because the new roadwork is destroying it, his house, his place of work and partly because the death of his son already did. Most of the book deals with this, the siege part is really just the forty page denouement, the final fandango if you will for Bart.

Bart is going crazy and It's obvious Bart is pretty much crazy right from the start with his Fred talking to George routine going on in his head as he buys a 44 magnum and an elephant gun from a gun shop, a thing he's never done in his life before. So he's crazy but then how crazy is he compared to anyone else? I suppose you're only crazy when you don't care anymore if people see you being crazy, something like that anyway. In the story Bart is the manager of an industrial laundry and King obviously drew upon his own experiences working in one, so small parts of the tale are rich in these details and they are authentic as you'd expect and much more interesting than you'd think.

Roadwork in fact is a good read, I enjoyed it all the way through, I enjoyed Bart and his crazy spiral towards disaster which was both sad and funny. It's not horror, or even suspense, but it's definitely Stephen King and Bart is a classic King character. I was trying to decide what it was about him that made him such an obvious King character and in the end I came to the conclusion it was Bart's dark humour and the way he sees the world and I suppose that it's that dark humour that is Steve's most recognisable trait as a storyteller. Other good characters are the local mafia boss and the young girl hitchhiker he briefly hooks up with.

Reading these early novels is fun as it takes you back to another era, when King used the word "gay" to mean happy and not, well to describe being gay, which seems almost weird nowadays. The story is set in 1973 during the fuel crisis and it was interesting reading about Esso changing their name to Exxon, Steve had a funny way of describing that transition suggesting Exxon is demonic! I won't argue with that idea either. Also I found myself looking up his fictional football team the Mustangs and finding that they of course didn't exist. We're never told which city the novel takes place in, I decided it was the same unnamed fictional city that was featured much later in Rose Madder.

Once again there's no waffle in this novel, or if there is it's interesting waffle. These early Bachman books have impressed me much more than I thought they would. I mean they're not King's absolute best but they're very definitely pretty good and well worth checking out.

The Running Man is next, in a day or so...here's the original dust jacket covers for Roadwork and The Running Man...

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7408/roadwork.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1909/runningmanbachman.jpg

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 9 2009, 02:32 PM)
What can I say about Barton George Dawes? What a great character, he made Roadwork very enjoyable, and he was the star of the show. When I began to read the story this time I was under the impression, based on my memory of reading it 20 odd years ago, that the story was about a siege, I mean from start to finish, staged by a random guy who flipped out because his house was about to be demolished and just that, and I suppose I thought it all began with the siege too. It's not about that at all though I realise now, it's about a man who's life is slowly, painfully and quietly (at first) going down the drain, partly because the new roadwork is destroying it, his house, his place of work and partly because the death of his son already did. Most of the book deals with this, the siege part is really just the forty page denouement, the final fandango if you will for Bart.

Bart is going crazy and It's obvious Bart is pretty much crazy right from the start with his Fred talking to George routine going on in his head as he buys a 44 magnum and an elephant gun from a gun shop, a thing he's never done in his life before. So he's crazy but then how crazy is he compared to anyone else? I suppose you're only crazy when you don't care anymore if people see you being crazy, something like that anyway. In the story Bart is the manager of an industrial laundry and King obviously drew upon his own experiences working in one, so small parts of the tale are rich in these details and they are authentic as you'd expect and much more interesting than you'd think.

Roadwork in fact is a good read, I enjoyed it all the way through, I enjoyed Bart and his crazy spiral towards disaster which was both sad and funny. It's not horror, or even suspense, but it's definitely Stephen King and Bart is a classic King character. I was trying to decide what it was about him that made him such an obvious King character and in the end I came to the conclusion it was Bart's dark humour and the way he sees the world and I suppose that it's that dark humour that is Steve's most recognisable trait as a storyteller. Other good characters are the local mafia boss and the young girl hitchhiker he briefly hooks up with.

Reading these early novels is fun as it takes you back to another era, when King used the word "gay" to mean happy and not, well to describe being gay, which seems almost weird nowadays. The story is set in 1973 during the fuel crisis and it was interesting reading about Esso changing their name to Exxon, Steve had a funny way of describing that transition suggesting Exxon is demonic! I won't argue with that idea either. Also I found myself looking up his fictional football team the Mustangs and finding that they of course didn't exist. We're never told which city the novel takes place in, I decided it was the same unnamed fictional city that was featured much later in Rose Madder.

Once again there's no waffle in this novel, or if there is it's interesting waffle. These early Bachman books have impressed me much more than I thought they would. I mean they're not King's absolute best but they're very definitely pretty good and well worth checking out.

The Running Man is next, in a day or so...here's the original dust jacket covers for Roadwork and The Running Man...

I considered buying Roadwork one day, but decided on something else.

Now I regret that decision!

smile.gif

QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ Apr 12 2009, 11:43 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 9 2009, 02:32 PM)

I considered buying Roadwork one day, but decided on something else.

Now I regret that decision!

smile.gif

Yeah you should get it, it's a good novel, much better than I remembered it. It's definitely an underrated King work and I really enjoyed it.

I think one of the reasons for me not liking it earlier is when I first read it I was in the process of reading everything that existed by King up to 1987, one after another, and I was thirsty, blood-thirsty you might say, for horror and suspense and not just good fiction, or non-horror stories. After all most people seek King out in the first place in order to read horror stories, so back then I may have just dismissed it as I flipped page after page, reading it, but waiting for it to end so I could move on and get me some HORROR!!

trink38.gif

Meanwhile I haven't started The Running Man yet, later today though for sure, I'm ready to start RUNNING!

1287.gif

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7417/bachmanbooks.jpg http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2522/bachmanbooksnew.jpg

The Running Man is a nice little sci-fi thriller which builds to a fairly exciting climax. I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous two Bachman's but it was still pretty good. It just lacked some of the depth of Roadwork and the game featured in The Long Walk was more brutal and more effective in it's simplicity. In this one King went into throwback mode, it was almost like a futuristic noir thriller of the 50s in style especially the dialogue which was almost rustic. It reminded me a little bit of Soylent Green and Fahrenheit 451, it didn't conjure images of Arnie in the film version, though I haven't seen that for ages. In going into throwback mode though King's story became a little raw and ham-fisted, but I suppose it was effective in it's own way.

Some of the futuristic elements made it seem dated, such as the use of video tapes for high tech game shows in 2025. They had air cars, not sure if they were alloy air cars though.

Of all of the Early Bachman books this is the least like a King book to me, despite it being more of a violent thriller than the others. If I'd read this in 1982 thinking "Bachman" was a real person I never would have picked this out as a King story, it's very dry with none of King's dark humour and it's pretty much all story, as he mentioned in his introduction, there's none of Steve's usual wandering storytelling either.

Last time when I read these novels the Running Man was my favourite of them hands down but this time it's my least favourite of the three that remain in print with Roadwork just edging out The Long Walk as my pick of the bunch. All three of these Bachmans are decent novels though and I'm glad I revisited them.

I'm going to read something "new" next, which means something published this decade that I haven't read before.

The next book, Stephen describes as the best novel he's ever written, well he says it's his favourite anyway. It's a "new" one, which for me means I've not read it before. It was published in late 2006 and I bought it all ready to read specially for this thread, but then I took a bit of a hiatus so it's been hanging around in a cupboard for a couple of years...

Here's a picture of how my copy looks and also a picture of King with the book when he was over in the UK at a signing.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/7128/lisey.jpg

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1534/stephenkingwithlisey.jpg

Despite what King says I've heard some bad things about this book, like it's a stinker, boring, too long, hardly any story, silly and so on. So my expectations are not exactly sky high going in but I'll certainly give it a fair hearing as I usually do. I always want a book to be good, and i want to like this book, it remains to be seen if i do though.

I won't give a synopsis of Lisey's story (pronounced "Leecey" apparently, although I deliberately pronounce it "Lizzy" just to be awkward ha ha), I don't know much about the story which is how I like it. I'd like to be surprised, pleasantly surprised I hope. What little I do know is it's about an author (yet again eyesre4.gif ) who dies and his wife is left to pick up the pieces and weird things happen from that point onwards I suppose. It sounds like King is imagining his own death and how his wife Tabby might feel and deal with the event and the aftermath.

And with that I'll return later as always and either sing it's praises or curse it's (Lizzy) name...

Ok finished The Gunslinger in 2 nights of reading so it was obviously awesome. I'd say 8 or 9 out of 10 and I just started up on the second one. As with The Gunslinger it's a little drawn on in the beginning but is good once it starts going.

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Apr 22 2009, 11:38 AM)
^
Never heard of it.

And boy he's scary looking.

Also am just finishing Dead Zone. 7 out of 10

Never heard of eh??

I've just started it and the rambling has begun...

wacko.gif

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Apr 22 2009, 02:21 PM)
Ok finished The Gunslinger in 2 nights of reading so it was obviously awesome. I'd say 8 or 9 out of 10 and I just started up on the second one. As with The Gunslinger it's a little drawn on in the beginning but is good once it starts going.

Cool, mate!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 22 2009, 08:40 PM)
^
Never heard of it.

Never heard of eh??

wacko.gif

They can't all be gems

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Apr 22 2009, 03:54 PM)
^
Never heard of it.

Never heard of eh??

wacko.gif

They can't all be gems

Hey talking of Steve being scary looking, I stumbled on this poll a while back of "Scariest Stephen King Book covers" and someone suggested "the one with his face on it" sorry Steve...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 22 2009, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Apr 22 2009, 03:54 PM)
^
Never heard of it.

Never heard of eh??

wacko.gif

They can't all be gems

Hey talking of Steve being scary looking, I stumbled on this poll a while back of "Scariest Stephen King Book covers" and someone suggested "the one with his face on it" sorry Steve...

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 22 2009, 04:41 PM)

Cool, mate!

My copy of The Gunslinger showed up at my door yesterday. Already half way through.

NINETEEN!

QUOTE (JimboGames @ Apr 28 2009, 07:40 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 22 2009, 04:41 PM)

Cool, mate!

My copy of The Gunslinger showed up at my door yesterday. Already half way through.

NINETEEN!

trink39.gif